z

Young Writers Society

Harshest Critiquer Survey

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:04 pm
Angel of Death says...

I'm only harsh when needed.

Though it might hurt, people can not take harsh critiques personally. Because in reality, if you want to get published you have to learn how to take harsh words and critics won't sweeten the load, if anything it'll be worst. So cherish the harsh reviews here because at least you're hearing them from friends and not people who really want to bring you down.

~Angel
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:34 pm
niteowl says...

Me? Harsh? Really?

Well, I guess I am. But that's because a) I only critique pieces where I can pick on something and compliment something and b) I'm a perfectionist. Plus I've read a lot more than I did when I first joined, so I have more judgment.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Galerius yet. Maybe it's just because I haven't been a regular in a while, but he was nasty.

Personally, I think the best approach (what I try to do with varying amounts of success) is middle-of-the-road. Don't be useless, like "OMG this was so great! Write more!" and don't be like Brad, who pretty much said "This is garbage. Don't even try to save it." Find something good, something not-so-good, and try to be nice about it.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:00 am
peanutgallery007 says...

I only just came to YWS and I've done my best to be a good critic. I guess I'm not as good as I thought I was. In comparison to all the other great critics around here, I am a pile of mush. See? I just complimented critics. WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?
Have a peanut =)

Try your hand at my poetry contest!

Proud LGBT supporter.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:32 am
Clo says...

Galerius is a beast. Very harsh.
How am I not myself?

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:32 pm
alwaysawriter says...

Andy's (Squall) harsh and so is JFW. I haven't seen anyone on the list's critiques so I can't say if they're harsh or not.
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:20 pm
lilymoore says...

I decided to try and compare my crits with some of the people on the lists and I kind of feel that every bodies critiques have they're own way of being great. I mean, yeah, some of them are harsh but the harsh critics are harsh toward posts that need a harsh attitiude. And even then, its respectively so. And the sweet, bubbley crits are sweet and bubbley cause they diserve to be.

So if you ask me, all of them are good, in there own way of course.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

Time is not your best friend - unless you use it wisely.
— Marco Pierre White