z

Young Writers Society

YWS Newsletter, September

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:27 pm
Nate says...

The following newsletter was sent out via mass email. If you did not recieve your copy, please update your email address.

Young Writers Society Newsletter: September, 2005
Issue IX

In this issue...

I. Letter to members
II. A few new changes
III. The New YWS Book Club
IV. YWS Logo Contest
V. YWS Webzine
VI. Member of the Month

I. LETTER TO MEMBERS

Fellow YWS Members,

I hope everyone had a great summer. I spent mine down in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia with barely any access to electricity and certainly none to the internet, and it felt great. Getting away from everything for two months is a good way to clear your mind and refresh yourself. But now summer is over and it's time to go back to school, or maybe even back to work.

The Young Writers Society, meanwhile, will undergo some changes. Nothing major this time around, but since the community aspect is now well-developed, I'm looking to beef up the writing aspect of the site. Someday I would love to promise that you will recieve at least five replies to whatever you submit!

Anyways, scroll on down to find out info about the new changes, the YWS logo contest, the webzine, and the member of the month!

C'ya around,
Nate

II. A FEW NEW CHANGES

If you go to the YWS homepage, you will notice that it has changed a little bit. From now on, the welcome text will be changed on a weekly basis and the following will be in it:

Quote of the Week: This is selected by Nate right now. However, if someone would like to take responsibility for this, it would be great. All one would have to do is to make sure to change the quote every Monday. To make it easy, Nate will design a page where all you do is put in the new quote of the week and then the homepage is updated automatically.

Writing Challenge of the Week: Every week, there will be a new writing challenge. At the beginning of every week, the best entries from last week will be highlighted here as well. To submit your entry, just put in the appropiate forum with the tagline "Writing Challenge for 9/5:" in front of the title.

Word of the Week: Here, the word of the week will be featured. If someone would like to run this, pm Nate.

Book of the Week: The book of the week for the new YWS book club will be featured here. Which brings us to...

III. The New YWS Book Club

Note that there is already a YWS book club. The new one should not be confused with the old one as the two are seperate and not the same. To keep them seperated easily, the new book club will be called Pawprints.

Pawprints will work different from other book clubs. That is, you will recieve a portion of a chapter each day in your e-mail. At the end of the week, you will have recieved two or three chapters. At the beginning of a new week, we will start off with a new book. The purpose of Pawprints is merely to expose and introduce you to new books. Then if you like the first couple chapters, you can go to either the library and check it out or go to a bookstore and buy it. Members of Pawprints will also be able to discuss the book in the Pawprints forum. To join, just pm Nate. Members of the club will get their first e-mail on Monday September 12th.

IV. YWS Logo Contest

The YWS store is all set to go! All that's needed is a couple logos to go on the stuff in it. To enter the contest, just design your own logo and either send it to Nate via nathan.caldwell@gmail.com or post it in the thread labelled "OFFICIAL CONTEST: YWS Logo" in the contests forum. First place will recieve a t-shirt and notebook with their logo on it. Second place will recieve a notebook with their logo on it.

The rules are:
1. Only one entry per person
2. The logo MUST say Young Writers Society. No abbreviation. Including a .com at the end is not required, but it would be nice.
3. The image format should be in either .gif or .jpg.
4. The logo must be done by October 1st.

You can paint and scan the picture into a computer, or design using a drawing program. There is no size limit.

V. YWS Webzine

It's about time to send out a new issue of the Webzine. The final deadline for articles is October 1st.

Articles can be about any subject and should be between 250 and 500 words long. Possible ideas for some articles would be:
- What makes you write
- Who inspires you the most
- What you think about (insert political topic here)

The only stuff that will NOT be accepted are stories and poems.

VI. MEMBER OF THE MONTH

Well, it was a close call this time around with two members coming up neck and neck. However, there can only be one member of the month....

Reichieru is our runner-up for this month. Since joining on February 1st, Rei has been very active in the literary forums with providing valuable critiques to many a member. She has also been active in the community as a whole.

Now for the member of the month... *drum-roll please*

The member of the month is a girl, has an S in her name, likes the number 6 apparently, and seems to have enjoy pigs in tennis shoes as well! She is also considered a very harsh critiquer, but always in a constructive way. Of course, this member is none other than Snoink! Since joining on April 2nd, Snoink has proved to be a invaluable member who will give you the critique you need whether you like it or not.

Life's short; smile while you still have teeth.
— Tuesday