Writing for a living: a job or a chore?

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:41 pm
Firestarter says...

Writing for a living: a joy or a chore?: Nine authors give their views

Interesting article. Any thoughts?
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:46 pm
Lauren says...

Ha, funny that, I've just been reading this article.
I love Will Self. :smt053

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:51 pm
Blink says...

Nice article. It's more like a hobby that you get paid for--I would take an ordinary job until I make enough from writing, then I'd give it up and just write, not worrying much about deadlines, if that makes sense. These people are too cynical!

But then, maybe just write comedy? That'd be fun!

I know little about professional writing. =)
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:11 pm
Jiggity says...

I don't know any of those authors but they depress me.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:38 pm
smaur says...

[s]They're just trying to scare everyone off.[/s]
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:39 pm
Sureal says...

I remember reading one author who said that, for her, writing for a living was like having to do homework everyday. XD

Honestly, no matter what job you get, you're not gonna love it all the time. I wouldn't expect writing to be any different - and as I enjoy writing, I imagine it would actually be a step up from doing a job based around something I didn't like already.
I wrote the above just for you.

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:53 pm
Explosive_Pen says...

I have to toil over math homework, so thanks for providing a distraction. ;)

Anywayz, I think writing is a valid career, but I can't imagion it being something to do every single day. I mean, I'd need the inspiration and the time.

Hah - I love how all these authors compare writing to sex. What an odd analogy. xD
"You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them."

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:52 pm
Evi says...

I love to write, but I can't sit at an office and stare at a blank piece of paper all day. I can't just write. Believe me, I'd kill to be able to, but it doesn't work that way. *sigh*

I've never really imagined writing as my job. For some reason I've always seen myself at midnight on my laptop, cranking out the last pages of my novel while the family is asleep or something. XD

But then again, I can never see myself in any job that involves sitting behind a desk all day. I get too much of that in school already. ;)
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

143 Reviews

Reviews: 143
Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:05 pm
anti-pop says...

Like Sureal said, anything you do for a job isn't going to be enjoyable all the time.
I want writing to remain a pleasure for me, plus I'd rather go into other fields.
Also, having to write with a deadline would be too much stress for me. I'm already terrible at being on time for anything, so I most definitely would never get anything done properly.

For some reason I've always seen myself at midnight on my laptop, cranking out the last pages of my novel while the family is asleep or something. XD

That's exactly what I do. I stay up till three in the morning just writing sometimes. Often times, I'll re-read it the next day and delete it because it's complete trash. :)
...Bitter cold, it grows
changing holds
cynicism the new norm...

-Libretto

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:13 pm
Mira says...

I love to write and I would totally love to have it as my only job. The only thing that would suck is the deadlines... I'm not much good with those... Plus, I don't think I'd be able to support myself by just writing novels unless it becomes widely read like Harry Potter or Twilight.

Saph
"Smiles make the world go round." ~ Me

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:46 pm
WaterVyper says...

I love writing, but I can't do it with deadlines looming. I always end up procrastinating one way or another. I always wanted to be a teacher, or a tutor, or something like that. Writing is a passion, but I don't want to have it as a job. You do it day after day and it loses all of its spark, especially if it's been a slow week.
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:04 pm
mtempleton says...

I can see myself writing for a living, but only if I marry someone rich. Otherwise I'd have to get a job to earn money and then write all night, foregoing sleep. Nice.

I saw a couple of weeks ago that the average writer earns only a quarter fo the average wage, so I'm trying to prepare myself for that. On the other hand, I might get lucky and be as rich as JK.

I don't really know. I agree with these writers. More often than not, I hate to write. It depresses me, but for some reason, I can't see myself doing anything else. Writing soemthing awesome and being remembered forever would be incredible.

I can dream.
"I want my journey to be full of laughter"

Final Fantasy X

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:51 pm
JFW1415 says...

I despise deadlines. I'm fine with them with most things, but with writing - especially creative writing, I can't do it.

Also, I like instant gratification too much. I can't see going for two years without a paycheck but working my butt off every day anyways.

And... I like money too much? lol. I'll always write, and I want to be published, but I'll do it in addition to other jobs. It'll only become my full time job when I retire from everything else. :)

~JFW1415

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:10 pm
KailaMarie says...

My plan is to be an elementary school teacher because I love kids and for other reasons too, but a huge plus to that job is that you get a lot of vacation time. And that leaves tons of time to write as a hobby. I can see myself trying to do it as a job, though, because I like deadlines. They make me actually do stuff. As long as I have something to start with, I do much better when I have to finish it by a certain time, since it makes me finish. If it was just up to me, I'd never have finished a novel. That's why I love NaNoWriMo.

I'm hoping to get published and maybe get a deal with some company or something, but even if I don't I'll be happy just having writing as a hobby.

And I'm really surprised most of those authors don't like writing... I wouldn't have expected that.
... :D ...
[url]spottedturtle.tumblr.com[/url]

Maybe I should say something quote-worthy, like, I dunno... "You can only be happy if you decide to be happy?"
— Necromancer14