29%
No
71%

Total votes : 17

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:40 am
OverEasy says...

Does anyone else loathe to see works rated from 1-10, or is this just a me thing?

Like 1 it was terrible and 10 it was great... what is the purpose of this?
Life is for living.

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:47 am
Linx says...

No....no way at all.

I've seen other members actually give a story a rating. Like, 5/10.

I just don't like it. *shudders*
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." ~ Lao-tzu

Attack, IM, or PM me at any time. I will respond. ;)

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:29 am
Nutty says...

Nah.
Reminds me too much of movie reviews.
And we will all agree, literary works are a cut above and should be treated as such?
If the points are awarded with a reason, like someone marking a test at school, I can handle that. But the plain old 1-10 isn't much help at all.
After all, we are here to help each other, not to merely state how much we like or dislike each other's work.
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:17 am
Meep(: says...

Agreed.

After all, we post to get a nicely written out explanation/praise of why our readers like/dislike it, and how we can improve.
We don't really want a 'number' for our works. Every wrter deserves more than that.
Besides, I'm anti-math. No numbers for me.
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:37 am
PenguinAttack says...

I think that if giving something a rating helps the author in any way - which it should, being a numeral indication of interest/etc - then it has it's purpose.

So, no. I disagree.

*Hearts* Le Penguin.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:28 pm
niteowl says...

Wait...has this been implemented? Because I didn't notice. Which tells you how much I'm around...

Anyway, I agree that it's a bad idea. I used to be on Writing.com, and you had to give a 1-5 rating with your review. I hated doing it because it doesn't really add much to what I have to say. Plus sometimes I got low ratings with no explanation (because you could rate without a review). So possibly if it's optional, and you can't just rate without reviewing, then it could be okay, but it's not necessary.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:30 pm
OverEasy says...

No it's not being implemented that I am aware of, I have just noticed it around a few times. I can't even explain why it bothers me it just... does.
Life is for living.

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:36 pm
View Likes
Evi says...

I think awarding a gold star if you enjoyed it a lot is a better idea, yes. Since some people are really harsh, a 6/10 might be fantastic, but for others it would be pretty average. I've never rated a work 1-10, and I don't intend to.

*shrug*

~Evi
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:06 am
Tatra says...

I like the gold star, cause it lets people know that you liked the story, even if there was really only one thing about the story that you liked. I also, strangely enough, feel that a 1-10 rating puts too much pressure on the reviewer and that it also feels fake. Like, do you ever really, truly give your full opinion on any survey? Plus, most of the time people honestly don't care about the rating that they're giving and then when you do give a perfect 10, too many 10s start to feel false.

Plus, this is an awesome site where people give really good critiques and doesn't that say more about liking a story than a 9 or a 10? I mean, the people cared enough for the story to give their time for a critique (ignoring the fact that I'm too swamped to crit anything right now). Plus, critiques are more helpful than a number.

And I have no idea why I had so much to say on that... I really must get to bed. :D
Some people fall in love and touch the sky.
Some people fall in love and find Quicksand.

- Incubus

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:23 am
Teague says...

My problem with it is that it's not a substitute for proper feedback and reviews. "Ratings" are vague and don't tell anyone anything of value. I'd rather see an excruciating line-by-line critique than a couple vague lines and "7/10!" on it.

Ratings are a measure of someone's random opinion; reviews are constructive and give specifics. You can't build anything on an opinion, just fact.

Teague
x
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:11 am
Lauren says...

I've done the deed x] I don't see the problem--there are only so many times you can read 'Fantastic - gold star!'. Rating gives the reader a good idea of the reader's opinions.
The only thing is it's subjective. But then, so is everything. Personally I see 6/10 is a fine rating. 9/10 would mean a masterpiece, and I'm sure people will agree none of us are at that level.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:57 pm
Demeter says...

Some people give a 8/10 when they think the work was okay, and some other people give 8/10 only when they really, truly adored the work.

There is so much to one piece of work, plain rating isn't a very good review.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:57 pm
WaterVyper says...

Definitely not. I dislike rating worls on a 1-10 scale, since ratings like this depend on the opinion of the reviewer. Besides, what does a 9/10 say about your skills? It says that somebody liked your work very much, but it doesn't say whether you need to improve on dialogue or characterization or [i]anything[i]. The gold star rating is fine, especially wheb there's a review attached, but numbers seem pointless to me.

I am and always will be optimist, the hoper of far-flung hopes, the dreamer of improbable dreams.
— 11th Doctor