z

Young Writers Society

So, you want to be an instructor/greeter?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:00 pm
Snoink says...

:smt092

This is totally not a rant from somebody who looked over a lot of instructor/greeter applications...

1. Greeters greet. That's why you'll see a lot of blue people on the Welcome forum. They like greeting people. With that said, if I see one more application of somebody who wants to become a greeter just because, "I'm nice!" yet their only post on the Welcome forum is, "Hey, I'm new!" I am going to SCREAM.

2. Instructors are supposed to give exceptional reviews that deal with not only grammar-related stuff, but with the nuances of writing. If I see one more application that says, "im relay helpful wit revwieing storis," I am also going to scream.

3. Did I mention that potential greeters do that too? Yeah. Bad grammar = denied.

4. And... the next Greeter who applies as an Instructor without critiquing anything, just so they can be "upgraded," gets a toothpick jammed in his eye.

5. Also, unless you want to actually send homemade cookies to my house, you needn't write, "*cookies*" on your application. Really. Either way, writing that word there doesn't mean I'll accept you. It just means I have to read more black characters, which makes me grumpy.

6. By the way... we actually look over your posts before we accept you or reject you. So if you haven't written any critiques (Instructor) or welcomed anybody (Greeter) in the last two months, chances are, we won't accept you.

7. Sucking up to greeters and instructors to get a foot in the door is generally useless. They're not the ones who look over your application and accept you.

8. Arguing over critiques and generally making people like crap won't make you a better candidate for Instructor. It'll just get you denied consistently. Or, if you do manage to get in, it'll get you kicked out. After all, one of the rules is "Be nice..."

9. Did I mention that we read your posts?

10. Also, I love newbies and everything, but read the rules fully. You have to be a YWS member for one month before we'll accept you. Most of the people that are denied are denied because of this reason. It's quite sad.

Ah... that felt good to get off my chest. :)

Mind you, that's not all the things you have to do if you want to be a greeter or an instructor. For example, I never actually said what would help you! But at least you won't have me (or my fellow compadres) staring at the computer screen, thinking, "What the heck...?"
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:04 pm
Evi says...

Hah. Snoink, I've always wondered exactly how the applications went.

i soooow ant 2 b a reveiwr juz cuz i get 2 be purple

Just kidding. ;)
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:14 pm
JFW1415 says...

I am SO sending you cookies now. Just you wait. :)

(*COOKIES!!!*)

~JFW1415

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:19 pm
Bittersweet says...

Poor Snoink! :P

I can't believe people would apply like that... It's quite pathetic!
eviscerate your fragile frame
spill it out in ragged form
a thousand different versions of yourself.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:22 pm
Sureal says...

I just wanted to be blue. D=
I wrote the above just for you.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:30 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Haha... the application process is mostly like this:

Applicant: :smt117

Judge: :shock:

Applicant: :smt028

Judge: :smt017

Applicant: :smt082

Judge: :smt011

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:34 pm
Princess says...

Heh heh.. I totally did not send one of those..*shifty eyes*

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:37 pm
Musicaloo7311 says...

Hahahahaha! The last Applicant-Judge animation made me laugh very hard. I am new, and I wouldn't like a toothpick jabbed in my eye, so I'll save said eye by saving becoming a Greeter/Instructor for later. Haha.
Click-ity click! Reviews here. :)
The Completely Evil Plan.

"You treat me badly; I love you madly."
Formerly known as music_lover_7311.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:42 pm
Snoink says...

music_lover_7311 wrote:Hahahahaha! The last Applicant-Judge animation made me laugh very hard. I am new, and I wouldn't like a toothpick jabbed in my eye, so I'll save said eye by saving becoming a Greeter/Instructor for later. Haha.

And for that, I will love you forever. <3

239 Reviews

Reviews: 239
Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:52 pm
MeadowLark says...

Oh poor Snoink. I think I''ll send you a cookie! OKay I have no cookies but I do have...

*Hands piece of cake to Snoink*

I'm only joking around. People are quite pathetic to apply like that.
Purple light in the canyon
that is where I long to be
With my three good companions
just my rifle, pony and me

--- "My Rifle My Pony and Me"

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:07 am
Musicaloo7311 says...

Snoink wrote:
music_lover_7311 wrote:Hahahahaha! The last Applicant-Judge animation made me laugh very hard. I am new, and I wouldn't like a toothpick jabbed in my eye, so I'll save said eye by saving becoming a Greeter/Instructor for later. Haha.

And for that, I will love you forever. <3

Yay! I am going to be loved forever by Snoink! *breaks out into a happy dance* Hahaha.
Click-ity click! Reviews here. :)
The Completely Evil Plan.

"You treat me badly; I love you madly."
Formerly known as music_lover_7311.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:19 am
Meshugenah says...

*sobs*

Do I hear an amen?

AMEN.

<3

(and I so just got homemade cookies delivered to me! score! :P)
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:24 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

How very sad to be bribed by imaginary cookies. ^_^

I didn't know you guys read my posts... :shock:
I also thought basically everyone got in when they applied.

It also still evades me how people will join a writing site, write like, "you wuts up i am EdwardsGurlfrind2345 i luuuuuv riting!" and expect to fit in. :)
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:39 am
Rosendorn says...

Oh man, this is Priceless.

You actually do tell us how to be a purp in point number 2......
Last edited by Rosendorn on Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:59 am
Explosive_Pen says...

Haha, thanks. I'll keep all of these in mind when I'm applying... That is, if I apply. I like pretty colors. xD Kidding, of course.
"You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them."

Go and make interesting mistakes, make amazing mistakes, make glorious and fantastic mistakes. Break rules. Leave the world more interesting for your being here.
— Neil Gaiman