z

Young Writers Society

What do boys like...

216 Reviews

Reviews: 216
Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:06 am
asxz says...

... to read?

I have a short story competition that I want to enter, but it has to aimed at a target audience of the average boy. What can I write about? Boys of YWS Help me please! Story ideas/prompts welcome!
::XoX::KeepWriting::XoX::

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Writing is 3% talent and 97% not being distracted by the internet

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:06 am
Prokaryote says...

What do girls like to read about? Take that, minus the: ponyland adventures, page-long descriptions of what the characters are wearing today, series of trivial relationship problems that masquerade as plots, and angst-ridden internal monologues.

Also, romance is pretty much out of the question. You can sprinkle romance into stories, but if it's the sole focus, forget about it.

In the end, though, everyone has different preferences, boy or girl.

Pork

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:36 am
Meep(: says...

Prokaryote wrote:What do girls like to read about? Take that, minus the: ponyland adventures, page-long descriptions of what the characters are wearing today, series of trivial relationship problems that masquerade as plots, and angst-ridden internal monologues.

Hey! I resent that!
I open to all genres!
You depict us as rather shallow.

Boys would like action and adventure, yeah?
But like Pork said, its a matter of preference.

~Meep :D
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:05 am
Ohio Impromptu says...

I can't stand large amounts of action and adventure. And I'm not opposed to page-long descriptions.

Anyway, it seems to me that, at least around here, the average boy doesn't like to read. But I suppose if you have to write something, the action/adventure thing might be the way to go. I can't really help with ideas, but I'd be happy to have a look at your story when you've written something. I may be of more help in that situation.
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a head that empty?
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a heart that gone?

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:22 am
Prokaryote says...

Ohio Impromptu wrote:And I'm not opposed to page-long descriptions.

Oh no, you're one of those Tolkien fans, aren't you?

Pork

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:17 am
View Likes
Scarecrow says...

Well, I like anything from Eragon to Matthew Reilly.
The price of greatness is responsibility - Whinston Chruchill

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:36 am
Rubric says...

Hey! I resent that!
I open to all genres!
You depict us as rather shallow.

Or us, depending on how you look at it.

Oh wow Scarecrow, anything from Eragon to Mathew Reilly? -decides not to go onto a rant about those two particular works-

Actually asxz Mathew Reilly is probably a good example of what a lot of guys like in their reading, except exaggerated unto perversion.

But yeah any debate on the novel Twilight will eventually highlight the difference in what girls and guys (oversimplified a bit) look for in a novel.

Rubric
So you're going to kill a god. Sure. But what happens next?

Diary of a Deicide, Part One.

Got YWS?

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:40 am
Meep(: says...

Rubric wrote:But yeah any debate on the novel Twilight will eventually highlight the difference in what girls and guys (oversimplified a bit) look for in a novel.

Ugh. Curse that Stephenie Meyer for giving everyone an excuse to stereotype girls.
I'm not a Twilight fan.
And I read Matthew Reilly books.
'Nuff said.
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

152 Reviews

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:01 am
Rubric says...

Dang blast it Meep, Mathew Reilly is too far.

His name is used to sell the works of a million monkeys on a million monkey typewriters who all have terretz expressed through their *fingertips*.

But you're right. I'll still maintain that many of the critiques of Twilight and Meyer can be extrapolated into what guys like in their literature.

Got YWS?

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:20 pm
EmmVeePi says...

I am always up for internal/psychological conflict. And yes I am of the male gender.

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:32 pm
Explosive_Pen says...

But yeah any debate on the novel Twilight will eventually highlight the difference in what girls and guys (oversimplified a bit) look for in a novel.

I resent that. Twilight was suckish.

Anyways, I should think that guys like stories involving violence and big, um, those - if you know what I mean - yes? Or is that just the one's I hang out with?
And yes, most guys also enjoy the Eragon series.
Sorry, I'm not a guy, so I couldn't help all that much. xD
"You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them."

152 Reviews

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:14 pm
Rubric says...

Oh wow as offended as I'm sure you are over Twilight, there was certinly no need to link my gender to Eragon.

Sorry if my reference was unclear, what I meant was that many of the areas where Meyer is critiqued are areas where she has exaggerated traditional romance themes unto perversion: so while girls can obviouslystill dislike this, the critiques of it will generally highlight the specific themes guys are not usually in favour of.

Like romance in general?

But yes, sorry for that miscommunication.

Got YWS?

Random avatar

Reviews: 8
Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:39 pm
Mercury616 says...

Prokaryote wrote: What do girls like to read about? Take that, minus the: ponyland adventures, page-long descriptions of what the characters are wearing today, series of trivial relationship problems that masquerade as plots, and angst-ridden internal monologues.

Also, romance is pretty much out of the question. You can sprinkle romance into stories, but if it's the sole focus, forget about it.

In the end, though, everyone has different preferences, boy or girl.

Oh no, you're one of those Tolkien fans, aren't you?

Pork

I'm not opposed to romance, or relationship issues as subplots, or angst (viva la grunge, man)

And Tolkien's not the only one who does long descriptions. Check out the first 5 pages of Far from the Madding Crowd. Or the whole thing almost.

I have no problem visualizing things, but I still like to read details.

What I read tends to be horror (gorey and spoof), mystery or suspense, classics, things that would never make the bestseller list ;) and really anything well written. It's more the skill, style and voice of the author than the story itself that will draw me in. Of course a decent plot (realistic in detail) with many twists and subplots keep me interested.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want me to read what you have.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:49 pm
Snoink says...

Not a guy, but since I hang around a lot of guys...

Funny stuff is awesome, especially of the ironic kind. Explosions and thrillers and lots of quick twists and turns are awesome. And, make it like a puzzle and I will love you forever.

Basically? I'm thinking of Burn Notice. XD
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Reviews: 3
Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:08 am
Moody says...

Most of the boys I know don't like to read. However, I know a few who like to read comedy,politics and manga/graphic novels. That's all I can tell you since I'm a girl.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
— Albus Dumbledore