Young Writers Society

Authonomy

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:50 pm
Firestarter says...

Anyone else heard about Authonomy?

It's basically a social network site for amateur writers, owned by HarperCollins, where authors-to-be upload their finished manuscripts. Readers rate and judge the different manuscripts, and then the editing staff at HarperCollins look at the best recommended and decide whether they're publishable.

Apparently it's the new way of getting through the piles of unsolicited material publishing companies get sent.

Don't believe it? Three authonomy authors have had their manuscripts snapped up by HarperCollins simply through this website.

From the site itself:

authonomyTM is a brand new community site for writers, readers and publishers, conceived and developed by book editors at HarperCollins. We want to flush out the brightest, freshest new literature around - we’re glad you stopped by.

If you’re a writer, authonomy is the place to show your face – and show off your work on the web. Whether you’re unpublished, self-published or just getting started, all you need is a few chapters to start building your profile online, and start connecting with the authonomy community.

And if you’re a reader, blogger publisher or agent, authonomy is for you too. The book world is kept alive by those who search out, digest and spread the word about the best new books – authonomy invites you to join our community, champion the best new writing and build a personal profile that really reflects your tastes, opinions and talent-spotting skills.

The publishing world is changing. One thing’s for sure: whether you’re a reader, writer, agent or publisher, this is an exciting time for books. In our corner of HarperCollins we’ve been given a chance to do something a little different.

We’d really love your help.

NOTE: I should point out this is only for writers over 18.

It doesn't cost anything.

It's not some sort of scam. This is real publishing. A new type of publishing. You don't have to be from the UK, you just have to write in English.

There's an FAQ on the site if you need more info/have more questions.

I just thought it was pretty cool. Will we seek FREAK on there soon? :wink:
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:35 pm
Emerson says...

On the one hand that sounds amazing, but on the other it sounds frightening.

I've always been terrified of communities like that. YWS is one thing, but something owned by a huge, huge, huge company is bound to be flooded with people. Even if it isn't a social event, that many people just make me feel weird.

I'll have to look around though and see what I think before I make up my mind. :) Thanks for sharing, Jack!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:38 pm
Snoink says...

Eep! Maybe?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:58 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

That might be cool. I suppose I'll have to get a novel ready to go by the time I'm 18.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:46 am
~Excalibur~ says...

Too easy to set up little circles and it doesn't seem to work as intended. Browsed around some and have gotten a general air that it would be nice for those who are accomplished and lazy with looking for publishers or those who write for fun, not profit.

Definitely seems more mature and professional, but I'm guessing a lot of these people already use PODs.
Currently writing Gaea Arc #1 - Poisoned Throne

Help Class 5-B get started! (Link works now)
topic44711.html

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:51 am
Snoink says...

Writers don't write for profit. They write to avoid debt. ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:09 am
smaur says...

Avoid debt? I always figured writers wrote because they were knee-deep in debt and writing stories was the only way they could convince their creditors not to sell off their fingers one by one.

(Cool link, by the way.)
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:15 pm
Emerson says...

I skimmed through a few of the top pieces, and I honestly didn't find them to be that amazing. Granted, the summaries of a few sounded amazing, but the writing its self was nothing to admire. Perhaps they're still in need of editing, though? And then there is the fact that I'm picky. I won't just read anything, the writing has to actually be good. I think if some of those authors posted here, they wouldn't come out alive.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:52 pm
Jiggity says...

Yeah, YWS is good as a crucible for crap. I've felt the burn often enough :p

Sounds awesome, Jack, cheers for the link. Haven't checked it yet but definitely will. Short stories allowed?
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:25 pm
Flux says...

So, clearly i'm not 18, but I'm totally writing this down. Someday I hope to publish, and anything that will get me closer to that dream (even if I have to wait a few years) I will keep it in mind.

I'm planning to do Nanowrimo when I get older. But thanks for writing this down! This goes in my notebook. (XD)

LaReina!
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.

Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth."

-- Oscar Wilde

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:40 pm
Kylan says...

Ha. They wouldn't kill me if I lied about my age, right?

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:23 pm
Blink says...

This looks great, but it's very opinion-based and a bit of a popularity contest. But! I shall have a look some more. :)
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

I do all of the training for Walgreen’s cashiers.
— The Devil