z

Young Writers Society

Nadal beats Federer in AU open

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:36 pm
Emerson says...

The only people I know on YWS who follow tennis are Firestarter and Jiggity, but hey, I have to share the awesome.

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) β€” Rafael Nadal held off Roger Federer in another momentum-swinging, five-set final to win the Australian Open on Sunday, keeping the Grand Slam singles record safe for now.

After coming through the longest match in the tournament's history to reach the championship match, Nadal needed 4 hours, 23 minutes Sunday to win 7-5, 3-6, 7-6 (3), 3-6, 6-2.

Federer, who was trying to equal Pete Sampras' 14 major titles, has lost to Nadal the last three times they've met in Grand Slam finals.

Read more!

I woke up at 4AM to catch the game in my time zone. I had to hold my eyes open, seriously, to keep awake in the final set, but it was completely worth it. Then I went back to bed.

Federer looked incredebly crushed, but I do hope he comes back and plays well throughout the rest of the season. I'll admit it, I'm a Nadal fun, but it wouldn't be as fun without Federer because he's darn good too.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:20 am
Scarecrow says...

Woot MELBOURNE (I live 70km away).

Topicly related, Fed is starting to lose his touch, great match but Nadal is getting better and Feds getting worse.
The price of greatness is responsibility - Whinston Chruchill

Almost all absurdity of conduct rises from the imitation of those whom we cannot resemble.
— Samuel Johnson