z

Young Writers Society

Psychology... for writing?

Reviews: 0
Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:19 am
Childark says...

Here's the case. I'm currently 16 years old, about to graduate from high school and is going off to college. I really wanted to take Journalism or Mass communication which both specializes in speaking and writing. Since I'm such a goody goody and don't have the courage to argue, I knelt down and accepted her request(or demand) to study Psychology. So I've been asking myself this question: Will Psychology help me become a better writer?

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:51 am
Nutty says...

I want to study journalism too!
^_^ though I have to wait till next year, and I'll be 18 0.o
I think psychology could help you with character development, at least. You would most likely be better able to understand why people do the things they do, and that will help with your characters decisions and reactions.
And it would probably help with your journalism, too, being able to decide how people will react to what you've said XD

But that's just a guess, lol.
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

Reviews: 0
Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:47 pm
Childark says...

Nutty wrote:I want to study journalism too!
^_^ though I have to wait till next year, and I'll be 18 0.o
I think psychology could help you with character development, at least. You would most likely be better able to understand why people do the things they do, and that will help with your characters decisions and reactions.
And it would probably help with your journalism, too, being able to decide how people will react to what you've said XD

But that's just a guess, lol.

I thought of that as well, though I really preferred to study journalism :(

Hey! Just an idea. Maybe the mods can make a new forum that helps people deal with their problems not related to writing! But... that's just a thought

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:55 pm
Ohio Impromptu says...

I enrolled at university to do Mass Communications yesterday, oddly enough.

Here's how I see your situation: Journalism will probably make you a better writer, especially if, like me, you're going to take a bunch of creative and professional writing classes. However, studying psychology would most likely give you so many things to write about. Things like characters, plots and themes would probably all come much easier for you. And I'm not sure how the system works where you are, but I know that here you can do writing units when enrolled in other courses, such as psychology.

So in regard to writing, you should think about these things. But seriously, there are sooooo many other things to think about. It took me three years to pick what degree I wanted, and the whole time i knew I wanted to write. But if you're adamant about the journalism thing, do it. There is absolutely nothing that anyone here can tell you to change what you want to do.

:)
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a head that empty?
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a heart that gone?

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:20 pm
Clo says...

Writing will make you a better writer, so...

Here's my number one suggestion: College is expensive and consumes a lot of your time, so forget about suggestions and go to college for what YOU want go for. And be serious about it. Since you probably have some time, sit and muse and contemplate and think on it. Then, make a decision what you really want.

Take the major(s) you want no matter what, and then perhaps take a few classes on creative writing, or even take non-credit writing workshops. Or you could just major in Psychology and do writing studies or journalism. Minors are easy and helpful.

Be strategic, and combine majors and minors to create and education that you want and works to help your writing.
How am I not myself?

Live your life how you want, but don't confuse drama with happiness.
— Ron, Parks & Rec