z

Young Writers Society

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:21 am
KnightlyAngel09 says...

I saw the movie yesterday and thought that it was really great. Was it a book? I seem to have read the blurb of it already in a past life.

Anyway, I'm not a drooling-giggling-mesmerized teenage girl over Brad Pitt but I think that has changed. :lol: I'm saying this because I think it's the best movie of him I've ever seen. It definitely is, I believe, his best performance.

Cate Blanchett is as always, gorgeous and pristine and faultless.

The concept of the movie is really good:

Benjamin Button was born an old man and he grows younger instead of older.

It sort of reminded me of something I read before. This kid was walking with his head as high as adults' and his feet were suspended in mid air and instead of growing up, he grew down. Search for deeper meaning in this.

Watch the movie, it's brilliant.
All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you.:)

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:52 pm
cheese9975 says...

I saw it too! I thought it was brilliant. And, I agree, I never really was into Brad Pitt before, if you know what I mean ;), because he's older and whatever, but after seeing this movie, he was quite attractive towards the end, I must admit.

Also, the movie really made you think. It was a little lengthy, yes, but I was a little teary eyed by the end which doesn't happen often during movies, and I thought the whole thing was just done really well. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for something good! It's also been nominated for a gazillion and ten Oscars.
"The manatee has become the mento." -Tracy Jordan

"Live every week like it's shark week." -Tracy Jordan
^30 Rock is love

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:00 pm
Clo says...

It was a short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

And it was an amazing movie. I thought the ending was done very well especially.
How am I not myself?

61 Reviews

Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:32 pm
cheese9975 says...

Yeah, the ending was really good. It definitely got better as it went it along, and it started off really well so that's saying something.

^30 Rock is love

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:09 am
smaur says...

Benjamin Button was okay, even good, but definitely underwhelming.

It's obvious that the writer who wrote this also wrote Forrest Gump, because he borrows plot devices from it. A lot. It did all of the things you expected it to, but none of the things that you didn't expect it to. The ending was haphazard and rushed, and the actual ending was just ridiculous. It could've cut out at least twenty minutes without losing any real content.

I'm mostly just grumpy because it's nominated for twelve Oscars when it has no right to be, and when several other much better films are being overlooked. I happen to think Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett are both fine actors, but neither of them went out of their way to make their roles especially memorable. Maybe my expectations of this movie were way too high, but I can't help wish it was a little less bland.

(The best part was that scene with all of the little things leading up to the big one. Trying to be vague here to avoid spoilering.)
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:36 am
Cade says...

smaur - I know, the Forrest Gump thing! I was like, wait, I know what this sounds like...Forrest Gump!
I also liked that scene, the one you talked about, that we won't spoil for anybody.

Anyway.

I liked it, but I was also surprised that it got so many Oscar nominations. I mean, it was a pretty good film, but 1) It was too long...2:48 was definitely excessive and 2) I felt like it lacked some of the whimsy it could've had.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

61 Reviews

Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:22 am
cheese9975 says...

Yes! That scene was fantastic! I agree it could've been shortened, but I still enjoyed it. The day I saw it I was kind of in the mood for that sort of melancholy story. And, yes, you could definitely see some resemblance to Forest Gump. Despite all this I still thought it was pretty solid, though.

^30 Rock is love

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:38 am
Bittersweet says...

I bawled towards the last half of the hour. It wasn't that it was so sad... but it just tugged at my heart. How hard would it be to leave your daughter and the person you loved because you knew that you couldn't be the parent and husband/wife that a normal person could be? But the tears didn't really start until their daughter was reading the postcards that were addressed to her for each of her birthdays. That was so depressing and sweet.

I cried the entire time until after the credits were over. It was so moving. The acting was amazing. I didn't like Brad Pitt at all before this movie, but now I like him quite a lot. Though I didn't think he was so drool-worthy like everyone says when he came back looking way young. I thought he looked hotter right before he left the two. xD That makes me feel weird, since I'm only thirteen.

Anyway. Best movie I've seen so far this year. Better than last year too.
eviscerate your fragile frame
spill it out in ragged form
a thousand different versions of yourself.

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:40 pm
KnightlyAngel09 says...

Oh, it's by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Okay, now I know why it sounded so familiar.
All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you.:)

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:26 am
VeraWinters says...

loved it. Absolutly cried my eyes out. Cate Banchett makes me proud to be australian. America will never claim her!!
Who is John Galt?

It's like being in love, discovering your best friend.
— Elizabeth Wein, Code Name Verity