z

Young Writers Society

Presidential Inauguration

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:40 pm
Blink says...

Via >> No one really cares, which is a good thing. His ubertastic speech made up for it. =)

springrain2693 wrote:Yeah, Jigs, you were the ONLY one. Why else do you think they surrounded it with bulletproof glass? XD

Bulletproof glass? Why would Obama want to shoot someone?
Last edited by Blink on Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:53 pm
Clo says...

June said nothing racist, Blink. Read a little closer before saying anything like that. :roll:
How am I not myself?

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:56 pm
Blink says...

Erm... I didn't say that she had. It was a joke. About the bulletproof glass thing. Oh, never mind. I'll stop spamming this thread now. ^^
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:51 pm
Cade says...

His speech was fantastic; I don't think that he's been making promises he can't keep. In both his election night speech and his inaugural address, Obama's been rather practical about things. Yesterday's speech in particular addressed the sacrifice and understanding he's asking of the country. He acknowledged the issues facing the country but he didn't promise to cure America of all ills; he promised to try his best and he asked American citizens to do the same.

Barack Obama wrote:On this day, we gather because we have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord.

On this day, we come to proclaim an end to the petty grievances and false promises, the recriminations and worn-out dogmas that for far too long have strangled our politics.

We remain a young nation, but in the words of Scripture, the time has come to set aside childish things. The time has come to reaffirm our enduring spirit; to choose our better history; to carry forward that precious gift, that noble idea, passed on from generation to generation: the God-given promise that all are equal, all are free, and all deserve a chance to pursue their full measure of happiness.

In reaffirming the greatness of our nation, we understand that greatness is never a given. It must be earned. Our journey has never been one of shortcuts or settling for less.

It has not been the path for the faint-hearted, for those who prefer leisure over work, or seek only the pleasures of riches and fame.

Rather, it has been the risk-takers, the doers, the makers of things -- some celebrated, but more often men and women obscure in their labor -- who have carried us up the long, rugged path towards prosperity and freedom.

For us, they packed up their few worldly possessions and traveled across oceans in search of a new life. For us, they toiled in sweatshops and settled the West, endured the lash of the whip and plowed the hard earth.

For us, they fought and died in places Concord and Gettysburg; Normandy and Khe Sahn.

Time and again these men and women struggled and sacrificed and worked till their hands were raw so that we might live a better life. They saw America as bigger than the sum of our individual ambitions; greater than all the differences of birth or wealth or faction.

This is the journey we continue today. We remain the most prosperous, powerful nation on Earth. Our workers are no less productive than when this crisis began. Our minds are no less inventive, our goods and services no less needed than they were last week or last month or last year. Our capacity remains undiminished. But our time of standing pat, of protecting narrow interests and putting off unpleasant decisions -- that time has surely passed.

Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and begin again the work of remaking America.

I got CHILLS.

If you missed it, here's the transcript of his address: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/us/po ... ma.html?em

(I cheered when W's helicopter took off.)
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:55 pm
cheese9975 says...

I love Obama. And I know that some people are rolling their eyes reading this because they say everyone's treating him like the messiah, blah blah blah. But, guess what, he's the president now, and you don't have a chance to change that for four more years, so I think people should at least start supporting him in some way. If McCain was president, I would just think, "Oh well, better luck next time," and see if he had anything good up his sleeve. I did the same with Bush four years ago and we all know how that turned out out. If Obama's getting all the "youth" and people who normally wouldn't be excited about politics excited, then I don't think there's anything bad about people making a big fuss over him at all. Kids should know about politics! I was appalled when I was talking to some of the kids in my school for the newspaper about the election... some of them were absolutely clueless. Obviously I'm not saying that anyone reading this is clueless, because you know enough to know who is president and who the candidates are, etc. These kids were dumb as bricks.

Rant over.

Anywhoot, yeah, inauguration went well, apart from that little flub during the oath. I didn't really like that lady's poem though. I don't know why, I just didn't dig it. Ya know?
"The manatee has become the mento." -Tracy Jordan

"Live every week like it's shark week." -Tracy Jordan
^30 Rock is love

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:09 am
Writing for love is a pas says...

I think that his speech was poetic. I didn't like him at first, but I realized that he will be good for this dreadful economy! =]
No where to run...baby let's hide. Take her in your arms on a chilling winter's night. Watch the stars twinkle and glisten. Know that you've found the one person that will listen. ~*(ME)*~

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:42 pm
Monki says...

Eh... I was really rooting for McCain. I just liked his take on things. I do love our country, no doubt about it, but some things need to change. And my opinion is simply that I just don't think Obama is the one to do it. I could be wrong. Just an opinion.
Tom Riddle: "You read my diary?"
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:27 pm
LilyJamey says...

Did I hear he's against the killings in Gaza?

If the whole world voted, Obama would win hands down. But we're heaping loads of expectations on him, even those not from USA. I think they showed it live here, but I was in school.
Got YWS?

I communicate much better on paper than I do when I open my mouth.
— Aaron Sorkin