z

Young Writers Society

Lateral thinking, anyone? ;D

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:44 am
Snoink says...

Okay! So during my fluid mechanics class, the teacher asked us this question. Nobody was able to answer it, including me. (No, seriously, I was too busy concentrating on his jaw. He has a weird jaw!) Anyway, once I heard the answer, I thought, "D'oh!" It's like those evil lateral thinking puzzles.

Anyway, I thought I might share it with you.

Because of the inherent properties of mercury (Hg), big drops of mercury, upon landing on a solid surface, tend to flatten out completely while small drops, upon landing on a solid surface, are almost spherical. This means that, due to surface tension, it easier to clean up smaller drops than bigger drops. In fact, for the smaller drops of mercury, if you can maneuver the surface so it tilts, you can slide the mercury drops, no problem! You can't do this for the bigger drops, and that's why it is advisable to break up the mercury into little drops before you clean it up, and it is typically cleaned up this way. With that said, our professor told us that, if we broke up a big drop into tiny little drops in order to clean it up, providing that everything except the surface area stays the same, we were putting ourselves in danger.

Why?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:30 am
Ducati says...

It's poisoness? IDK. My mind thinks in circles, I fail at this stuff.
When you look at your life, in a strange new room, maybe drowning soon, is this the start of it all?

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:16 pm
melkor says...

Er...because if it went 'up' it would touch your face?

I could guess at this forever...

I know it's posionous, so clearly the solution is something in relation to the liquid coming into contact with you...

Could it be to do with how one seperates the mercury?

Maybe you have to wear gloves,or protective equipment.

'Staying the same' could mean anything..

and if I wanted to look like a smartass I could say that staying the same could mean having no safety equipment.

Of course I have other ideas...but they aren't very clever.

I'm thinking that the answer will be riddle like and witty, otherwise you wouldn't have bothered posting this...

Obviously you were impressed....

Oh well..

-ponders some more-

"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it. "
"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
~Douglas Adams

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:56 pm
Sureal says...

Because you'd be putting yourself in danger no matter the size? XD
I wrote the above just for you.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:01 pm
Snoink says...

I'm thinking that the answer will be riddle like and witty, otherwise you wouldn't have bothered posting this...

Obviously you were impressed....

:P

I was impressed by the logic behind it. That's why I posted it.

So far, all of you are wrong. :P

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:04 pm
Meshugenah says...

You had nothing to break it up with? Or it was in something to begin with, and if it broke, you'd all be goners :P

Surface area doesn't stay the same? You mean it moves? Or your surface is tilted or something weird?
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:07 pm
Snoink says...

Surface area, in this case, refers to the amount of area that is exposed to a surface, including the air-mercury interface.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:09 pm
Rosendorn says...

Because to break it up, you'd have to touch it?
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:12 pm
Snoink says...

XD

You're using a proper instrument to separate it!

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:42 pm
Tatra says...

It's got something to do with the surface area, since everything else is the same.

Well, if you break up the drops of mercury, you'll have all of these little drops spread out on the safe surface area. If you tilt the surface area to collect the drops, won't they all turn back into a big puddle?

Somehow, I don't think that's it, but I'll suggest it anyway. :D It's the only thing I could really think of.
Some people fall in love and touch the sky.
Some people fall in love and find Quicksand.

- Incubus

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:07 pm
Snoink says...

That's what I thought, when I heard this! Great minds think alike, eh? :D

But that's wrong. I think you're on the right track though.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:13 pm
Rosendorn says...

Let me guess again: It's because you'd still have to clean it up.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:39 pm
Snoink says...

Nope!

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:45 pm
tinny says...

You'd still be putting yourself in danger because, as it's toxic, a chemistry technician should clean it up, rather than the students?

The only other thing I can think of is that if you had lots of little droplets, then when you tilted it there'd be more rolling around all over the place.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:48 pm
Ducati says...

You'd be exposing it to air?
When you look at your life, in a strange new room, maybe drowning soon, is this the start of it all?

Put me in the fqluote generator. I say wise things.
— RigoTheHacker