z

Young Writers Society

Plane crashes into Hudson River in New York

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:36 pm
Dreami says...

US Airways jet crashes in Hudson River

NEW YORK - A US Airways plane crashed into the Hudson River on Thursday afternoon after striking a bird that disabled two engines, sending passengers fleeing for safety in the frigid waters, a government official said.

Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Laura Brown said the US Airways Flight 1549 had just taken off from LaGuardia Airport en route to Charlotte, N.C., when the crash occurred in the river near 48th Street in midtown Manhattan.

Brown said the plane, an Airbus 320, appeared to have hit one or more birds.

The plane was submerged in the icy waters up to the windows. Rescue crews had opened the door and were pulling passengers in yellow life vests from the plane. Several boats surrounded the plane, which appeared to be slowly sinking.

Government officials did not believe the crash is related to terrorism.

"There is no information at this time to indicate that this is a security-related incident," Homeland Security spokeswoman Laura Keehner said. "We continue to closely monitor the situation which at present is focused on search and rescue."

New York City firefighters and the U.S. Coast Guard are responding to the crash. It was not immediately clear if there were injuries.

"I saw what appeared to be a tail fin of a plane sticking out of the water," said Erica Schietinger, whose office windows at Chelsea Piers look out over the Hudson. "All the boats have sort of circled the area. ... I can't tell what's what at this point."

Witness Barbara Sambriski, a researcher at The Associated Press, said, "I just thought, 'Why is it so low?' And, splash, it hit the water."

A witness who works in Manhattan told NBC News that it looked like a controlled landing into the Hudson, as if the pilot was deliberately landing into water. It landed in the water nose up and turned a bit as it landed, according to the witness.

Scary stuff. Thank God everyone is okay. I was watching the news, and they interviewed a passenger who confirmed that the pilot had warned everyone and was purposely trying to control the plane so it landed in the Hudson. They also mentioned that there were technical difficulties with the left engine. 151 people were on the plane, and everyone is alive and okay.

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:00 pm
Explosive_Pen says...

Dude, my dad's watching that on the news right now. Just so glad no one was hurt.
"You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them."

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:15 pm
Linx says...

My dad yelled at me to turn it on CNN when I got home. It had been on as breaking news for about 45 minutes. They started giving more information when we turned it on.

The U.S. Airiways is holding a press conference right now. They say everyone got off the plane with no major injuries. Four people are in local hospitals for hypothermia. Some others were taken to local hospitals for minor injuries.

The FAA say that both engines went out after flying into a flock of geese.

It happened about 3:30 pm, Eastern Standard Time. The temperature there is 32.5 degrees and the water was almost at a freezing point.

:shock: Wow. Thank goodness no one got seriously hurt.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." ~ Lao-tzu

Attack, IM, or PM me at any time. I will respond. ;)

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:35 am
Manny says...

Curse you, Mother Goose, and your devious spawn as well!

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:05 am
Cade says...

I lol'd once I made sure that no one had been hurt.

Especially when they kept saying it wasn't related to terrorism. Hellooo, they were Canadian geese, clearly terrorists from our neighbor to the north.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:59 pm
Gahks says...

It's a miracle everyone is still alive.

And kudos to the pilot for some heroic flying.
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:59 am
Incognito says...

I had a relative on that plane! It was a very interesting time.
'Everyone is entitled to be stupid, some just abuse the priviledge.'

Random avatar

Reviews: 47
Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:09 am
quietloud798 says...

I didn't find out until like a week ago that that happened
And I went to camp with Kelly, the pilots daughter
I honestly didn't put the peices together until I saw her picture in People
It's pretty cool
NaNoWriMo, ftw.

“If lightning is the anger of the gods, then the gods are concerned mostly about trees.”
— Lao Tzu