z

Young Writers Society

Need motivation to critique

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:52 pm
Rosendorn says...

Read the title. I just don't feel the need to critique stuff, even if I'm interested. Ever had dry-spells like this? What did you do to get out of them? And, please don't say "write more," I'm writing plenty.

Since this is critiquing and not actual writing, I figured it should go here. If you think this should be moved, please do so!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:00 pm
Cassus Animus says...

Find something else to do, if you can't critique...you can't really force it. Eventually it will come back, find a motivational point like helping members write better or work on something specific. Aside from that you really might just have to wait it out.

1272 Reviews

Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:48 pm
Rosendorn says...

Yeah, I guess. Thing is, I do want to critique, but I tend to loose interest when I'm "nice" all the time. And by "nice" I mean only pointing out a few issues in the text and not ripping stuff apart (ie- pointing out everything I think could use improvement). I find I don't critique as well when I don't point out everything.

Hmm, guess I need to find a balance between "niceness" and "shredder." Something to keep me interested.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:53 pm
Demeter says...

I've had moments like that... Actually, I haven't reviewed for days until today. If you only could find a story that you'd like very much, and then you'd just had to read and review the next chapters! :D

So... why aren't you pointing out everything? I didn't really get that one. Are you tired, or what? I don't blame you – it can get very tiring at times.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:54 pm
Clo says...

You don't have to point out everything that is wrong with a piece of writing when you critique. It's better to only focus and develop tips on a few things in your critique, because other people review too, and they can point out things they want to talk about.

If you don't want to critique, then don't. If you want to give long critiques, then do so.
How am I not myself?

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:55 pm
Night Mistress says...

read your favorite genre, then pick a story that sound interesting to you. and when you see grammar errors and mistakes, then you probably will feel like critique again because they will bug you through out your reading.

that's how i do it.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

1272 Reviews

Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:03 pm
Rosendorn says...

Dem- Several people had pointed out, correctly, that you shouldn't do that.

Even when I do find a forum I like, a lot of the stuff just isn't interesting. Maybe I need to add on a couple more forums.

But, I think I'll just take a break for a little bit. Let the forums refresh a little. Think of what I'll focus on in my critiques. Figure out how to critique poetry.....

Thanks everyone!

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:33 pm
Monki says...

xD I'm in this particular phase myself as well. But I'm forcing myself to critique, actually. You know how a random piece shows up in the top, right-hand corner of the page. I refresh the page and critique the piece that randomly pops up. If I really don't want to critique that certain piece, I refresh the page again until something interesting pops up. :)
Tom Riddle: "You read my diary?"
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

1272 Reviews

Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:37 pm
Rosendorn says...

I was thinking of forcing it, but I tend to get... unfairly harsh when I do.

And, with the number of Storybooks I get in that random works thing, I don't know if that would work! And the amount of Romantic Fiction, ugh.

Yes, I'm very selective. Which might be part of the problem.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:43 pm
Ducati says...

*tasers you*
Motivation enough?
Honestly, I can't critique that much right now either. I've read so many crappy poems, (not that mine are spectacular or anything) that I'm starting to hate them a little. Every now and then a really good one comes along and all I can think to say is wow.
When you look at your life, in a strange new room, maybe drowning soon, is this the start of it all?

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:53 pm
Mars says...

Oh, been there. :) I think you've already done this, but when I started my Will Review For Food thread, I literally could not see that there was a request on there and not do it. And I tried the 100 reviews in 15 days thing-I did not succeed, but I did it for awhile. So if you're forced to review, it's easier.
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

1272 Reviews

Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:59 pm
Rosendorn says...

Mmhmm. I tend to prefer critiquing stuff I get on my Will Review for Food thread, or private requests I get.

But, when I force myself without any motivation or user request, then, well, you wouldn't want to get a forced review from me. I get very harsh. Usually in those cases I reread my review about five times to make sure I'm not being, well, a witch.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:25 am
JFW1415 says...

Type up a critique pointing out every single detail. Delete half of it. Add 'great job though - just fix a few things and it'll be awesome!'. Post.

Works for me.

~JFW1415

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:29 am
Snoink says...

Eh... I just don't critique when I don't feel like it. That's when I do my moderating duties or my writing. After a couple of weeks, usually when I have homework that's due tomorrow, I critique. I kind of suck. XD

I have no idea why I have such an insane critique count. Really. O_o

Anyway, try to get at least ten-percent of the critiques I have. That's a fun challenge! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:47 am
niccy_v says...

Yeah I have the same right now. Just can't be bothered. I haven't critiqued in a week or so. I just went through all the crit forums i'm on deleting my accounts because I'm so tired of having to do multiple forums. That was what got me out of critiquing recently.

Plus, I have a holiday/love life/life to fix. And if I critique now, I'll just be completely brutal. So hehe not that good

Now onto how to break it. What I'm doing now is going through all the stories with heaps of crits already, pming the member, asking if they want more, and then critiquing those. It's heaps good because more than likely it's been revised and reworked so you're getting a good story.
Unfair to bad stories, but that ^ has helped me in the past. Kinda helping me now
Writing gives my life purpose

Knowing too much of your future is never a good thing.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief