z

Young Writers Society

Foreign films

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:22 pm
Lauren says...

I love foreign films, and by that mean not made in or by the US/GB. I haven't seen many but what I have seen has made me think "Wow!" I especially love the French films Amelieand A Very Long Engagement both by the same director. I've noticed I'm not alone here on that one. There is of course the wondrous Spanish film, Pan's Labyrinth. So, what is it about these films that makes US/GB ones pale in comparison? I think they lack the pretense that Hollywood has gained over the years. Or is it perhaps the very fact that they aren't in English language and we feel clever and cultured as we watch them in subtitles?

Basically, this is a place to discuss foreign films and recommend likewise. :) I personally would love to see some that are similar to the work of Jean-Pierre Jeunet.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:31 pm
Ducati says...

I think French Humour is different from other countries, very funny indeed but also I think it is that only the best films usually make it to overseas Audiences. Martial Arts movies are just awesome. I'm not sure if this counts as a foreign film, but Slumdog Millonaire was so good! It was epic.
When you look at your life, in a strange new room, maybe drowning soon, is this the start of it all?

Maybe our favorite quotations say more about us than about the stories and people we're quoting.
— John Green