z

Young Writers Society

Children's Fiction VS Teens/Young Adults

Reviews: 2
Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:11 am
BugBoyAndy says...

A few professional critics suggest my book's genre (children's fiction) should be listed as teen or young adult. But here's the thing, popular books such as The Wonder Wizard of Oz, The Adventures of Alice In Wonderland, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory are all listed as Children's Fiction.

My current published book "The Afterlife Phenomenon," was inspired by those listed above. So why are critics saying my book should be Young Adult when it has a plot, similar to Alice In Wonderland?

I'm inerested in other people's thoughts. :)
Children's fiction writer,
Andrew C. Markey
www.bugboyandy.com

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:19 am
Ducati says...

Well it depends on the content and "easy-to-read-ness" of the book. I think that books like Alice in Wonderland are quite complicated in their plot but easy to read. Also any book involving even slight adult content will usually be taken out of children's fiction. But then, I've been reading young adult since a really young age. It's just a recomendation, not censorship.
When you look at your life, in a strange new room, maybe drowning soon, is this the start of it all?

Reviews: 2
Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:23 am
BugBoyAndy says...

So I guess one of the reasons why the suggest my book to be teens/young adult, is because of the content in my book; the violence between the child and mother, and the "action" scenes near the end. Maybe I should change it's genre then.
Children's fiction writer,
Andrew C. Markey
www.bugboyandy.com

I continue to be a reverse hipster, I only do things after they've ceased being cool
— BluesClues