z

Young Writers Society

Music suggestions?

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:14 pm
ScriboErgoSum says...

These are some great suggestions so far! My favorite artist is Kate Bush. She's not all that well-known, but she has amazing, intelligent lyrics and a beautiful voice. Similar artists are Tori Amos, Charlotte Martin, and Happy Rhodes. If you want something in the same vein but more electronic, try Bjork (though her music is a bit of an acquired taste, I think). For more classical/vocal stuff, I like Andrea Bocelli, Hayley Westenra, and Sarah Brightman. Good luck finding something you like!

Reviews: 2
Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:57 am
Evanesce says...

David Cook. All of his songs. Hands down.

Viva La Vida - Coldplay. I love that song, and it's currently my favorite.

American Boy - Estelle. I am listening to it right now.

Thunder - Boys Like Girls.

Hot N Cold - Katy Perry. I like that song for some reason. Catchy.

So What - P!nk

Taylor Swift. All her songs.

Those are some of my favorites. You see I have a variety of types I enjoy.
[Insert odd signature here that makes you wonder if I'm really human]

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:10 pm
velvetnight1313 says...

I listen to everything but LOVE punk rock and stuff like that. My favorite bands:
CREED
LIFEHOUSE
HINDER
FALL OUT BOY
NICKELBACK
DAUGHTRY
"She walks in Beauty, like the night,Of cloudless limes and starry skies;And all that's best of dark and bright, Meet in her aspect and her eyes:Thus mellowed to that tender light, Which Heaven to gaudy day denies." -George Gordon Lord Byron

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:54 am
zalarus says...

Okay. I've been waiting for this moment. Let me lay down some of the basics.

1. The Mountain Goats - Okay, if you like good lyrics, this is ESSENTIAL. John Darnielle is probably the GREATEST non-hip-hop lyricist there is. Period. Actually, scratch that. He is, hands down, the best lyricist there is (with the possible exception of someone I'll mention later). He's also a superb musician, and The Mountain Goats are essentially a vehicle for his ability. PM me if you want any of his stuff. I would be more than happy to spread the Mountain Goats magic.

2. Iron & Wine - Okay, so you may have heard one of his songs in the smash hit movie Twilight. But I assure you, he's not just for the ladies! Sam Beam is actually a very accomplished songwriter, and has released three albums, all of them very good. He's one of my favorite artists, and creates some of the most hauntingly beautiful music I've ever heard. Again, PM me if you desire any of his music. I'll be more than glad to send you an album or two!

3. Bob Dylan - You know how I mentioned there might be an exception to John Darnielle being the best lyricist? Well, this guy is that exception. He's so good, he's been awarded a dang Pulitzer for his literary accomplishments. He's the best songwriter that has ever been. The problem is, his voice is a bit, shall we say, hard to get used to. I'll admit, when I first listened to Bob, I thought "Who the hell let this guy in the recording studio?!" But after being forced to listen to him a little bit more, I got hooked! His work from the mid-to-late sixties is just the best. All of his albums from the sixties are great. I consider him my best "old-school" artist.

4. Elliott Smith - Unfortunately, this guy died back in '02. Murder or suicide, no one really knows. But that doesn't change the fact that he was one of the best singer-songwriters out there! A product of the Portland music scene, Elliott Smith started out on the indie circuit, and almost immediately caught the attention of music lovers across the nation. Soon enough, he was one of the biggest names in indie music. And before anyone could believe it, he was signing to a major label. But that certainly didn't hinder his creativity. Instead, he used his new studio equipment and resources to create even better albums! But at the height of his career, he tragically died. Now that's a life cut brutally short. But he left a large collection of music as his legacy, for all to enjoy. I would highly recommend Mr. Smith

5. Neutral Milk Hotel - Probably my favorite band of all time. They only created two albums, but their final one, In The Aeroplane Over the Sea, was pure musical genius! Like Bob, Jeff Mangum's voice is a little difficult for some people to adjust to, but when you do get used to it, you'll wonder how you existed before it. Definitely listen to these guys, as I've heard rumors of a reunion, which would probably be one of the biggest things to happen in the indie music scene EVER.

Whew. That was pretty exhausting to write. I definitely went a bit overboard. But it's worth it if you give them a listen! Anyone, please, PM me if you want some albums! I love to share, and it's so good to give people great new music. Anyway, keep in touch, all of you.

-Zalarus
I'll tell you this -
No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.

You sound like a hillbilly,
We want folk singers here.

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:33 am
mhmmcolleenx0 says...

Music is my thing, I don't know if these bands are on the Top 40 but I like the songs, I don't know if you will but I'm just answering your question :)

Bands:(They are popular with my friends and some people at my school)
All Time Low
Forever the Sickest Kids
Good Charlotte
Hellogoodbye
The Maine
A Rocket to The Moon
The Cab
Death Cab for Cutie
Mayday Parade

It's all pop punk or alternative. You can try it if you want. Hope you find something that you like!
"Can't stop, won't stop. I must be dreaming."

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:23 am
ValaMagic says...

You can't go past the band She and Him i'm absolutely in love with them. The lead singer is Zooey Deschanel and the music just can't be categorised you just have to hear it, but it's kind of old fashioned and quirky.

You can't blame the writer for what the characters say.
— Truman Capote