z

Young Writers Society

When a YWS Staffer PMs You, Please Be Polite

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:40 pm
Nate says...

If a Greeter, Instructor, JM, Moderator, or an admin contacts you, the least you can do in return is be polite. These people put in a lot of time and effort on YWS, so please be respectful of that. Over the past week, we've had the ban three people for being blatantly rude (as in extremely rude), and that's not tolerated toward anyone on this site. YWS is a community for young writers, and as such it is asked that you be respectful toward everyone.
Last edited by Nate on Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:03 pm
Snoink says...

Oy... yes. Sometimes I wonder why people actually want to be YWS Staffers since it can be so stressful. And I am still wondering why anybody would want to be part of Big Brother. Can anybody say high blood pressure? -_-;;

With that said, if a junior moderator, moderator, or administrator warns you, then just bite your tongue, apologize, correct yourself, and move on. We don't mean to insult you or single you out or anything--we're just doing our jobs. And please, don't be sarcastic. It might be said in a joking manner, but it's not polite. Besides, your responses back, good or bad, are posted in a place where all the junior moderators, moderators, and administrators can see them. The nice, polite responses get brownie points. The rude, disrespectful responses get you frownie points. And the flat-out insults get you banned.

</rant>
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:13 pm
Fishr says...

When a YWS Staffer PMs You, Be Polite -- or I might kiss you. :P

Joking aside, special kudos to the J-mods, Mods and the two Admins. I was a Mod once to a gaming site and it was quite disgraceful. I and the other Mods were litterly babysittying three year olds when the given populace of the members were in between fourteen to nineteen. High blood pressure wouldn't be my chosen method of discription, Snoink.

At any rate, I have a special admiration for the select three groups above, having been in the same boat way back in the day. Excellent work, the Three Musketeers. :)
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:18 pm
OverEasy says...

I sort of feel like I should say that it's not just the staff.

On a number of occasions I have gotten PM's from people where they are literally yelling/name calling etc. for a review I gave them that was perhaps not what they wanted to hear.

Of course be polite to the staff, for brownie points are happy ^.^, be polite to all of the users. Even if they have said something that you did not want to hear. If you are posting your work on here, you are posting it so it will be reviewed, yes?

*tangent*

Moral of this story... be nice to everyone.

OverEasy
Life is for living.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:22 pm
JFW1415 says...

Also! It is also amazing when you quote the PM the person has sent you. I hate having to search through my sent folder trying to figure out what I sent to them! People don't seem to get the hint when I quote them in my PMs. :)

~JFW1415

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:23 pm
KailaMarie says...

Wow, I'm surprised this would even need to be said. Of course people might not like something you've done, but no one should ever yell at you for an opinion... that's horrible.
... :D ...
[url]spottedturtle.tumblr.com[/url]

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:29 pm
Ego says...

KailaMarie wrote:Wow, I'm surprised this would even need to be said. Of course people might not like something you've done, but no one should ever yell at you for an opinion... that's horrible.

People are morons. If they want to get banned, that's their prerogative. Asking them to be polite isn't gonna stop it--it's friendly advice, at best--unfortunate as it maybe.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:21 pm
Nate says...

Yep, OE is exactly right, and I don't want her point to be missed so I'm bolding the last line of my first post: YWS is a community for young writers, and as such it is asked that you be respectful toward everyone.

Plus, what people need to remember is that sarcasm doesn't translate well online. In real life, sarcasm can be charming and endearing. Online, it's very hard to be sarcastic and not seem like a jerk simply because of the limitations of the medium.

Knowledge is power.
— Francis Bacon