Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:16 am
Meshugenah says...

*Points up at crysi's post* what she said! lol

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:26 am
iced.cappuchino says...

Firestarter wrote:
BTW Shes NZs Queen too and although the royal family don't seem to do much, I think the royals provide a sense of stability or something like that. They can't be utterly useless or they would have been gotten rid of by now (maybe like they got rid of Charles I)

Stability? But the same stability can be gained from having a President as a Head of State who is cheaper for our country. The money can go into improving our public transport and health care. They only haven't been got ridden of by now because we're so stuck up with traditions and people think the Royal Family are "british" and so we should stick with them. It didn't work getting rid of Charles I because in those days having a monarchy was useful, these days it's not.

Canada's head-of-state is the Queen. She's on our pennies... and stuff. o_0 I don't think Canada ever had a big "independance" thing like the US, so while laws and constitutions can be ratified and whatnot by the Canadian Parliament, the "official" head figure of the country is still Elizabeth II.

Hm...

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:43 am
Elocina says...

*refering to Nate's post*
I was hoping for a snow-day this year, but like three years straight in the past, nope. Our super-intendant was stationed in Alaska for a while, and now he thinks that nothing short of a foot of snow is reason for closing the doors on school.

*now refering to Crysi's post*
My cousin went to Iran for the summer. He had some interesting stories, but what was most strage was that he never saw anyone WORK. There were some guys cleaning and stuff, but that was bout it. He was supposed to be helping the locals check trucks and all that went past the borders.
The locals would be loafing around, letting the traffic line up, then wave the cars on...not a very productive way to do stuff.

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:29 am
Elelel says...

I'm Australian! (If there's anyone on on the entire board I havn't told by now)
I wish I could put pictures up here! Then I could go: Merry Christmas from Australia and have a big picture or dry grass and overcast skys (which SHOULD be very hot and sunny too *growls and mutters something about killing the weatherman*)
I live in South Australia, which is no where near Cairns. I've been there though, but don't want to live there, well, a holiday house I could vist each year would be good. I got nosebleeds from the heat. I prefer the Southern coast, nice mediteranian climate, fishing, less sunburn no cain toads.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:30 pm
Firestarter says...

Canada's head-of-state is the Queen. She's on our pennies... and stuff. o_0 I don't think Canada ever had a big "independance" thing like the US, so while laws and constitutions can be ratified and whatnot by the Canadian Parliament, the "official" head figure of the country is still Elizabeth II.

Hm..

Yeh, it's the same for Britain, Australia, New Zealand and some other unfortunate countries. Funnily enough, my Dad's part of a political group that's campaigning to get rid of the Queen and install a Presidency as Head of State.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:52 pm
Tessitore says...

I'm in the US of A. In the middle. In Missouri. Pity me.
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:58 pm
Skye says...

I'm from the US too, but I've been lucky enough to be able to travel extensively throughout the world. Okay, not extensively, but at least a bit more than my friends. I have one American parent and one Irish parent, so Ireland is my second home. There's one thing about the Irish though(no offence to any Irish not like this): They don't accept you if you aren't Irish. So...yeah.

And Firestarter: you don't want a president if he/she has a chance of turning out like ours. :evil: Sorry, I won't say anymore, I just wanted to point that out.
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:08 pm
Firestarter says...

And Firestarter: you don't want a president if he/she has a chance of turning out like ours. Evil or Very Mad Sorry, I won't say anymore, I just wanted to point that out.

You guys are getting the wrong idea!

We have a Prime Minister who makes decisions. You have a President who makes decisions.

We have a Queen as Head of States. I want a President as Head of State. NOT the Ruler of the Country. The President Head of State would have no power, but would represent the country at an international level. See France and Germany for examples.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:59 pm
Skye says...

Oh, I gotcha now.
Sorry for the missunderstanding.
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:57 pm
LiNdSeYo7 says...

Mkay.. I'm from Toledo, Ohio, just about a minute away from the Michigan line. We are known as "The Glass City", but I don't find that to be extremely interesting. Its currently 34 degrees here, chilly as h*ll, & I hate it! I have relatives in Sydney, Australia and would DIE to visit them! I want to MOVE. Oh yeah, Ohioan's invented hotdogs and chewing gum.
<3 Lindsey

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:14 am
niteowl says...

Wasn't chewing gum invented by the Mayans? Didn't they live in Central America? BTW: I've been to Toledo sometimes. The only places Ive ever been are COSI (way cool science museum) and The Spaghetti Warehouse (a restaurant that smells weird. I haven't been there in so long, I don't remember what the food tasted like! I just remember the old-fashioned stuff and the weird smell. :D :lol:

The weather is pretty much the same here. I would love to move too. There's this one girl from CA and she is having some trouble getting used to the cold...(she wanted to strike against walking outside).

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:43 am
electricbluemonkey says...

Anyone here live in California...San Diego to be exact...Allied Gardens to be exacter?

I love it here in Cali, the weather is mostly dry and warm continental in the summer but in the winter it can get as cold as 20 degrees F (About -10 Celsius). And also there are MANY things to see, from museums to theme park, there are a lot.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:03 pm
Duskglimmer says...

Nate wrote:As it regards snow, Washington DC is famous for completely shutting down for just one snowflake. We have plenty of snow plows, though, so I think it has more to do with congressmen just trying to get out of work.

*grins* have to agree with you there.

I live on the East Coast of the good ol' US of A. I have very little complaints really... I just wish that we would get some nice thunderstorms more often. We don't get them NEARLY enough.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:17 pm
Morran says...

I'm from North Dakota. *looks outside*

Oooohhhhh boy is there snow. And cold. And wind. It's definitely going to be a White Christmas here. We have two extremes instead of four - cold in the winter and hot in the summer. Spring is just half winter/half summer. Fall is pretty much the same way.

Anyway, excuse me, I have to go start something on fire to keep from freezing. :-D

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:20 pm
Firestarter says...

I feel so out of place, this is almost an all-American site! Where are all the Brits? Stop hiding!!

Anyway, excuse me, I have to go start something on fire to keep from freezing.

Never fear, Firestarter is here!

I AM NOT GOING "FULL COW" ON SOMEBODYYYYYY
— whatchamacallit