z

Young Writers Society

YWS Big Birthday Contest: Second Place

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:07 pm
Nate says...

The YWS Big Birthday Contest was to write a personal essay no longer than 500 words. The form the essay took was entirely up to the author; it could be a story, a haiku, or an actual essay. First place got a $75 gift certificate to Amazon, second place got a $50 gift certificate to Amazon, and third place got a $25 gift certificate to Amazon.

Second Place Winner: Sam for It's A Hard Knock Life

Empty belly life!
Rotten smelly life!
Full of sorrow life!
No-tomorrow life!

One of my friends likes to say that I love explosives so much that I converted to Islam.

The real story is this:

For fifteen years, God and I played hide-and-go-seek. I was losing, miserably.

But I found him in the Quran.

I didn't convert, and firecrackers freak me out. Finding Islam was an affirmation of things I already believed—you can only put God into one category, and that God doesn't act human. God is neither sexist nor racist. In that sense, was it a conversion? I became, not converted. Conversion implies similar functions, different operation. Became is much different.

I'm actually really happy about it. At first I cried a lot and all but now I feel like I'm saved and I'm a better person. I'm cussing less, stopping myself from thinking bad things, I mean I'm even treating my family better. And I'm praying morning and night and in between.

Lindsaroo's words, not mine. She became Christian. Different strokes for different folks, I guess, with the same result of inner peace.

After leaving Christianity, though, there are hurdles to leap through everyday. (If you were wondering, that's what 'jihad' actually means. Struggle. Test.) In casual conversation—even without a headscarf—being Muslim is a standing invitation to compete in Infidel Jeopardy.

Aren't you Muslim?

"Uh. Yeah."

Does Islam justify wife-beating? Wasn't Muhammad a pedophile? Do you get 72 virgins in heaven, or is that just for dudes? Do you know how to make a bomb?

Aren't you oppressed?

There are enough Nots in Islam that it's easily to tell what Is. Not a swineherd. Not a skank. Not a snob. Is truth. Is light. Is hope.

I pray a lot and I'll pass on the hot dog, but I do a lot of things that would make fundamentalists weep. I'm in jazz band and Gay-Straight Alliance. I have male friends, but I don't date and I forgo flirting. I'm still a member of Western society, but without the same amount of pressure—to primp, to strut your stuff.

It's just right for me. It means that I'm routinely groped at the airport, but it also means that I can be my own person. I don't have to sit around and wait for men, and I don't sit around and wait for things to get better. I'm an activist. I try to fix things. When I need a moment, I have five convenient time slots for contemplation. I have a copy of the Quran in my purse as we speak--it's my security blanket. I love its poetry. I love the things it has to tell me.

Muhammad, peace be upon him, was an orphan. I can't attest to his skill in choreography, nor his adorable frock dresses, but both of his parents died when he was young.

For himself and his faithful, myself and my billion brothers and sisters, it's a hard-knock life no longer.

We are free.

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:39 pm
Juniper says...

Congratulations Sam! I really, really like your essay. It's very good, perfectly written and touches on the important parts of Islam. Well done!
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:41 pm
PenguinAttack says...

Congrats, Sam!

*Hearts* Le Penguin
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:19 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

Hugs, congrats, Sam.

:D

Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:15 am
Rydia says...

Awesome writing, Sam. Well done!
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:21 am
alwaysawriter says...

Congrats Sam!! :D
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:38 pm
Demeter says...

Wow, great job!
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

404 Reviews

Reviews: 404
Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:10 pm
Gadi. says...

Amazing. Sam, I am so proud of you! This moved me so much.
my world isn't only beautiful
it is so far away

Powerful men have a way of avoiding consequences.
— Dr. Harrison Wells, The Flash