z

Young Writers Society

Survey

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:28 am
Mars says...

I found this survey about books, so I wanted to post it and here all your guys' answers.
1.Total number of books you own?
2.What was the last book you bought?
3.What was the last book you read?
4.List 3 books that are particularly meaningful to you (in no particular order):

My answers:
1. Total number of books you own?
Hmm. I'd say more than 100. Perhaps 200.

2. What was the last book you bought?
Oh, well, cookbooks. But before that it was Harry Potter 7. I know, I know, I'm way behind everyone else. But I stayed up late reading one through six, and I had to go out and get seven. Those books are addicting.

3. What was the last book you read?
The last book I finished was "You Shall Know Our Velocity" by Dave Eggers. It wasn't very good. I felt like it was all just leading up to this one really poignant and touching part near the end when you learn about the importance of the title. But other than that it was bland, sometimes confusing, and completely lacked sense. Right now I'm reading "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair for my American Lit class.

4. List 3 books that are particularly meaningful to you (in no particular order):

The Mouse and His Child - Russell Hoban
My dad read me this book when I was a child and, still, it's one of the most magical, deep, thought provoking, and amazing stories I've ever read. Seriously, my book is all beat up and crappy now, but I can still find something new in it. Amazing read... if you can find it.

Everything is Illuminated - J.S.Foer
Foer has a talent for mixing truths with exaggerations and outright lies and doing it rather seamlessly. He can craft characters that you care for, whether you want to or not. It's one of those books where you catch yourself absently thinking: "Oh, I wonder what Little Igor is doing right now."

Invisible Monster - Chuck Pahlaniuk
So much better than Fight Club, Choke, Diary, and every single other book he's written and I own. This is Chuck at his finest, which, by the way, is very fine. No one else can write a gripping, funny novel that can change the way I think humans interact with each other.
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:44 am
Angel of Death says...

I haven't actually counted, but I probably have more than 100.

The last book I bought was Candy by Kevin Brooks

I am Rembrandt's Daughter by Lynn Cullen

4.List 3 books that are particularly meaningful to you (in no particular order):
The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

~Angel
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:39 am
Nate says...

Somewhere between 1,000 and 2,000 of books I personally own.

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

Antony & Cleopatra by Colleen McCollough

Oh The Places You'll Go by Dr. Suess
Other than that, I really can't think of any.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:57 am
Anonamuse says...

1. Total number of books you own? I'd say about thirty or so, but my other library has over fifty.

2. What was the last book you bought? I think I bought was Juniso Romantica.

3. What is the last book you read? For a few demons more by Kim Harrison.

4. Name 3 books are particularly meaningful to you (in no particular order):
>.>

Petter Rabbit and other tales by Beatix Potter

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

and my A.A. Min- You know I can't remember the authors last name. But the author of Winnie the Pooh.
Apartment 37 where flying cell phones, and burnt frying pans are the norm.

"Tinks a disneyCENSOR"

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:09 am
Carlito says...

-Um...a lot...I'm not really sure more than 150 I think

-I bought The Rule of Won by (?) and Just Listen by Sarah Dessen
(I got them at the same time)

-I think it was Just Listen

-The Harry Potter Series, The Maximum Ride Series, The Twilight Saga
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:24 am
Conrad Rice says...

1.Total number of books you own? Good night, over a hundred I do believe.

2.What was the last book you bought? Hmm. A copy of the first paperback edition of The Gunslinger by Stephen King.

3.What was the last book you read? The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas Stanley and William Damko

The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum. Such a wonderful book. We read it in class back in fifth or sixth grade, and I loved it so much. It's one of those timeless stories that will always matter.

A Ring of Endless Light by Madeline L'Engle. All of her books are so much win, but this one is the best by far. I didn't understand great swaths of it when I first read it, but with each successive reading more and more of it became clear to me. It's a wonderful story that taught me to look at everything around me with a new light.

The Stand by Stephen King. This is the black sheep on the list. But it was the first truly adult book I read, and it helped me discover that mature things such as sex and lots of cursing don't water down a good theme.
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:01 am
LowKey says...

1.Total number of books you own

About 360-something. Stopped counting.

2. What was the last book you bought?

Passage to Dawn – R.A. Salvatore

Actually, perfect timing for the Uprising. So far, the story mostly takes place on a ship in the middle of the sea. Not a slave ship, but ship’s a ship. And I just finished up my Oceanography class. Again, perfect timing. But yes. Passage to Dawn is book ten in Salvatore’s Forgotten Realms series. Really awesome set of books.

3. What was the last book you read?

Introduction to Oceanography.

Other than that? Dracula. Good book.

4. List 3 books that are particularly meaningful to you (in no particular order):

The Other Boleyn Girl ~ Philippa Gregory

I read it (certain pages stapled shut) when I was twelve, and it got me to love history. Prior to that, it was my most hated subject, second only to math. What did it matter what a bunch of people did hundreds of years ago, and who cared, right? TOBG showed me that history could be more than dead facts that might show up on a test, but could actually be a story.

The Troy Game 1-4 ~ Sara Douglass

All four of the books were amazing because Sara Douglass, sci-fi fantasy writer extraordinaire, used history as her setting. Read these shortly after the Boleyn Girl, so right after I started to like history, I was shown that there were options other than history teacher for those who wanted to go into it.

13 Reasons Why

About a girl who commits suicide. Left behind seven tapes, each side a story about a person, meant to be passed around to them in their order. If Joe was person 1, Joe would get the set of tapes first, then pass them on to person 2, under the threat that if he doesn’t, the second set of tapes will be made public. Not exactly a feel-good story, lol.
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:35 am
Leapy says...

Err.. probably around 40. IF I get the box back from my last home..-.-; (probably unlikely)... so right now, about 10?

Hmm... Burnt Offerings by Laurell K. Hamilton

Devil May Cry by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Rain by V.C. Andrews; The first book that really got me into reading larger books. (more than 200+ pages..and series books)

The Monster At The End of The Book by.. err. It was one of those Golden Books based off Sesame Street... I never watched the show but it was my favorite.

Yeah thats all I got...haha
~*Don't Tear Me Down*~

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:43 am
JabberHut says...

Psh, how 'bout.. 200. No. I have tons of old books I don't even touch under my bed. 400 just to be safe. XD

Um... I bought... Yikes, um... I don't know. It's been that long since I went to the bookstore.

DragonLight, Book 5 of the DragonKeeper Chronicles by Donita K. Paul

Maid Marian by Elsa Watson: I've read it a few years ago. I was iffy about it 'cause I lived on the thought that only fantasy books were worth reading. Then I read Maid Marian, and my whole perspective changed. I can read romance now as well as historical fiction.

DragonKeeper Chronicles by Donita K. Paul: As a fantasy series, it has done so much for me. It has reminded me of my morals, what I believe in, and how anyone can write fantasy and be unique still.

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling: Yeah, yeah, but it's because of Rowling that I started reading again. I stopped for a few years around fifth grade, then I picked up Rowling's books, and I fell in love. Thank you, Rowling. ^_^
I make my own policies.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:17 am
Jiggity says...

I'm guessing somewhere between 200-250 novels.

Graveyard Boy by Neil Gaiman

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling: Yeah, like Jabbs, it pulled me into taking up reading, as a serious hobby, in the first place.

LOTR: The first truly epic fantasy I read affected me deeply.

King Arthur: I forget who wrote it and the exact title but it was the very book I read; it was in ye olde english too but I loved it. Although, in hindsight, I understood very little of it.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:07 am
Sohini says...

1.Total number of books you (family) own?

English story books: about 200
Bengali story books: 150
Others another 200

Yay! It's a precious and growing collection we have.

a. Brisingr (don't bring in an angry mob please!)
b. Pride and Prejudice
c. Thief Lord

To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee

only 3 books? Aw.

1. A series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket

... the series means a LOT to me for various reasons

2. Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

...because the idea for my first complete novel clashed a little with this, I had not headr of it when I wrote my novel but I even had a character quite, quite similar to Elanor.
Besides that beautiful connection, I love what Funke says about books and reading in this book!

3. The Harry Potter series by Rowling

...it opened the world of fantasy for me and triggered a new sense of inspiration and it is sooo very connected with my good ol' days with my bro (duels and all)

and if I were to choose a fourth, it would be

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer!!
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:41 am
Demeter says...

1. I haven't counted, but many.
2. Um... I believe it was Beautiful Child by Torey Hayden, but I'm not entirely sure.
3. Ronia, The Robber's Daughter (by Astrid Lindgren) for a school project.'
4. This is a tricky one. Particularly meaningful... Maybe Pride and Prejudice (the first Jane Austen I've ever read), Harry Potters and... Lord of the Flies, maybe? I don't know. I'll get back to this.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:30 pm
CastlesInTheSky says...

Nearly a thousand. Seriously. My room is practically a library, there's no space to walk in because of the piles of books everywhere.

Violet Hill.

The Book Thief, by Marcus Zusak. For the fifth time this year.

The Book Thief, by Marcus Zusak. It actually changed my outlook on life, which is possible the corniest statement I've ever made, but also the truest. It changed my thoughts, my writing, the things I choose to read.

Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte. I could identify with everything that happened to the protagonist and when I'm in one of my depressed states, I plunge into it.

Tess of the D'Urbervilles, by Thomas Hardy. Breathtaking.
Last edited by CastlesInTheSky on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Had I the heavens embroider'd cloths,
I would spread the cloths under your feet.
But I being poor, have only my dreams,
So tread softly, for you tread on my life.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:11 pm
TNCowgirl says...

Over 100, I really haven't counted.

The three last twilight books. I've banned myself from buying more books until I finish the ones I have.

Maggie (Sequal*Sp* to The Dead Don't Dance)

The Dead Don't Dance and Maggie

Just because it shows love is undying.

I can't think of any others. There are a ton I love, just they aren't really heart touching.
"And you wonder why we don't like you!" -Trumpkin
Vist my world and make it bigger!
Want a Readers crit???

123 Reviews

Reviews: 123
Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:06 pm
Lord Anzius says...

1.Total number of books you own? somewhere between 300-500
2.What was the last book you bought? Septimus heap, Queste.
3.What was the last book you read? Dresden files 4

Captain Bluebears 13½ lives

Inkhearth

dresden files 4
To copy reality is good... But to create reality is much, much better.
-Giuseppe Verdi-

Saying Why-Double-you-Ehs is inversely like saying Ah-beh-Seh (Abc)... just say yewis it's cooler.
— Anonymous