z

Young Writers Society

How To Create A Successful Web Site

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:24 pm
Nate says...

Creating a successful Web site is tough. There are literally hundreds of millions of Web sites out there and distinguishing yourself from the crowd is no easy task. Over the years, I've had lots of people ask me for some tips, and YWS itself has spawned countless imitators. In fact, YWS itself is an imitator of The Young Writers Club (TYWC), which had a very fruitful ten years. Although, YWS is now much larger than TYWC ever was!

So, here are my tips to creating a successful Web site:

Preliminary

Define The Site

Your first step is to define what it is you want to do. Do you want to create a writing site? A site about cycling? A site about you?

However, there's a second part to this step (we'll call it step 1.5), and that's finding a niche. If your site is about you, then that's just you and you have nothing to worry about. Otherwise, you have to narrowly define your site, and this will help you to stand out.

For example, take writing. If your site is about writing, then it's going to fail no matter how good it is. Why? Because there are hundreds of sites already about writing, and some of these sites have millions of dollars in funding.

So you have to narrow it down. For me, I went from writing to young writers, and there's room for specialization even within the young writers area. Take storybooks for instance. I'm actually surprised that so far no one from YWS has tried to set up a Web site specifically devoted to storybooks. If done right, I'm sure it could be really popular.

So to summarize, figure out what you want to do with the site, then narrow it down.

Define Success

What do you want to accomplish? If you want to create a site for you and your friends, then success may be having all your friends sign up. If you want to make money, then success may be making $100 a month.

When I started YWS, success was having 60 people sign up within two months (it ended up being more than twice that number). I knew that if I could get 60 people to sign up within two months, then the site would do very well.

Mission Statement

You have to have a mission statement; just something that guides you through the development process. That is, what do you want to do with your site? For me, I wanted to promote creative writing as a past time through YWS.

Determination

You have to be determined! I created three writing sites before I created YWS, and they all failed miserably. Two of these were writing sites, and the third was a mock newspaper I created for my school (it did pretty well for a few months). Through each one, I learned a bit more, and applied these lessons to YWS.

As an example, one of the writing sites I created was called, "Young American Writers." By including "American" in that, I instantly alienated anyone not from the USA, and that is not something you want to do.

Creating the Site

Designing

If you visit web development blogs, they'll always tell you that good design is essential. I believe in that 100%, but good design does not mean eye-popping graphics. When YWS first started, it was a very simple phpBB forum. It had nothing extra, and that worked fine.

As the site expands, adding clean graphics is necessary. However, what is essential is that users instantly understand your site. That means placing your navigation at the top or on the left, and to not have things hidden. So if you're just starting, my advice is to just go with a very simple, clean design.

Promoting

When I started YWS, I promoted the heck out of it. I went to all sorts of sites and made annoying posts about how great my site was, and sometimes I really annoyed the people there. However, as long as you're respectful (never actually say, "my site is better than this site"), and you write well, people will read what you have to say. In this way, I attracted a lot of people to YWS.

If you want to promote your site on YWS, you can do so in the Lounge. My only rule is it has to be free. If you ask people to buy or pay for something, then you will be banned for at least two weeks. Of course, it also helps if you let me know beforehand. That way, you can say, "Nate gave me his permission," which makes people much more open to what you have to say.

If you want to jump start the site, advertising does work. In 2005, I frequently advertised on Writing.com, which cost me about fifteen cents a click. To this day, I'm not sure if it was worth it, but it certainly did attract dozens of people who otherwise would not have found the site.

When I started JustGoat.com, I also paid for ads on Google, which cost me about a dime a click. This did help a ton in getting that site going, and it was moderately successful still when I closed it in May 2006 (for financial reasons). However, before paying for ads, first try posting on forums. Also, keep in mind that word of mouth does far more.

Running the Site

Last but not least, you need to actually run the site. Nowadays, YWS is at the point where I could leave for years, and YWS would carry on quite well. In the early days, though, I was everywhere. I reviewed almost everything that got posted, replied to every thread, welcomed every member, and sent a personal PM to every member.

However, there is a fine line here. You don't want to come across as over-bearing! When I see that every other post is made by the admin, that tells me the site is bad.

Additionally, in the beginning, there is no need for moderators. If you can't run your site by yourself for the first month, then you don't have the time necessary to make the site successful.

Hope that helps some! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Last edited by Nate on Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:31 pm
Stori says...

*irrelevant* You're Nate again? You trying to confuze me?

425 Reviews

Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:35 pm
Nate says...

Kyte wrote:*irrelevant* You're Nate again? You trying to confuze me?

Please don't go off-topic.

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:10 am
BigBadBear says...

I found this really helpful, actually! I've made a few sites before, and been a member of a few sites that have completely failed due to determination and promoting. You bring up some excellent points here that are very much worth the read if you are trying to establish a site.

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:14 am
Prokaryote says...

If I recall correctly, I got here via an ad at writing.com. Though you say you were advertising there in 2005, and I got here in 2006. So maybe my memory is burnt.

Oh well. Yay advertising!

Pork

425 Reviews

Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:47 am
Nate says...

Prokaryote wrote:If I recall correctly, I got here via an ad at writing.com. Though you say you were advertising there in 2005, and I got here in 2006. So maybe my memory is burnt.

Oh well. Yay advertising!

Pork

I probably did, but it would've been substantially less than what I did in 2005. Despite it bringing you to the site, I'm not sure how cost-effective they really were. Word of mouth works far better.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:11 am
Sureal says...

The writing.com ads brought me here as well. =)

This is all very helpful. I'd very much like to set up a website one day (about what, I'm not yet sure), but I'm thinking my biggest obstacle at the moment would be not knowing how to code. I know a little bit - enough to make, say, this personal website from 2006 - but I don't know anything fancy.
I wrote the above just for you.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:27 am
POTAFan1973 says...

Thanks. I've been thinking of doing a website for a couple of years. Not sure when I'll create this site I've been thinking of but thanks for your tips.
One person's craziness is another person's reality
-Tim Burton

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:36 am
Snoink says...

If your site is about you, then that's your and you have nothing to worry about.

Your what? :P

But! Very instructional. Alas, my personal site is not very interesting, but still.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

425 Reviews

Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:41 am
Nate says...

haha, me and my reflexes to speak like I'm on AIM! Must... resist... adding... unnecessary... 'r'

:P

Sureal ->> When I started YWS, I only knew basic html and I constantly needed to check www.htmlgoodies.com for very basic stuff. It's really only in the past year that I've gotten good at it, and it's taken a lot of trial of error. So knowing how to code definitely helps, but I don't think it's necessary.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:31 pm
M Dragon says...

This helps with all types of sites a little bit, but mainly focuses on forum-related ones. (Well, at least the very last part, which is one of the only parts I read.) Can you either rename this or change the entire thing? Or am I wrong?

By the way, my website is dead right now. Last time I updated it was last August.
Ello everybody!
Wazzup! Immortatily is something I shall soon achieve!

425 Reviews

Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:51 pm
Nate says...

It is mostly oriented toward creating a forum based site because that's what I know. However, much of it still holds true. You still need to be determined and you still need to define what it is you want to do.

There are a couple things I did neglect to add, though:

Content

No matter what kind of Web site you have, it needs to be updated on a consistent basis. For example, the YWS blog gets the most traffic when it gets updated every day. Weekly works too, but only when I update it on the same day every week. Whenever I neglect it, traffic drops tremendously.

Active User Community

The key to YWS's continued success has always been the community. I'm not quite sure it would have even gotten going if ElectricBlueMonkey wasn't making fifty posts an hour when the site first opened. So many people have put so much time and effort into YWS whether they were writing critiques or helping to design graphics. Without them, YWS would just be an empty shell, so remember to nurture your community!

StumbleUpon

StumbleUpon is great. If you don't have it, Google it and add to your browser. On the YWS blog, there are a few posts I made that together get 200 visitors every day just because of StumbleUpon. About 5% of these will look at other posts on the blog, and 1% of the total will become an active reader of the blog. That may not sound like much, but that's two more active readers every day, and sixty in a month.

By the way, I've noticed that the key to getting a lot of people through StumbleUpon is an engaging title and a post about something funny or clever. The two most popular YWS blog posts are "A Story Where Every Word Begins With W" and "Quotes by Mark Twain." The former alone can bring upwards of 2,000 visitors in a single day (it comes and goes in spurts).

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:28 pm
Blink says...

Sorry for the bumping a four-day old thread :wink:

I'm actually surprised that so far no one from YWS has tried to set up a Web site specifically devoted to storybooks. If done right, I'm sure it could be really popular.

I did once... but never got round to doing anything with it :) Before I knew about YWS, surprisingly. I can't even remember the address. I'm rubbish at promoting.

But seriously, great advice, thanks!
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

Okay, first of all, who names their dinner? I don't want to know my dinner's name. This potato--is this potato named Steve?
— Rick Riordan, The Sword of Summer