z

Young Writers Society

Harry Potter...no really

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:16 am
DarkerSarah says...

I hate Ginny in Half Blood Prince. I really do. She's such a horribly developed character. Even if you think Hermione is a showoff know it all (I happen to love Hermione), you can at least realistically accept the fact that she is, because she's always been like that. She's a developed character with flaws. And Ginny's just like this goddess in Harry's eyes and that whole Hary and Ginny thing made me want to gag. It still does. It took three books for Harry to get together with Cho, and then it takes one for him to 1)notice Ginny, 2) fall in love with her,and 3) get together with her. It was such an unrealistic romance. Ron and Hermione's "romance" is subtle, yet not, and I thought it was well done.

I do agree with Qi that JKR is not a good writer. She's a good storyteller, but not a good writer.

And I'm glad that she gave Draco some depth. I was getting sick of him being in the books, just to call Harry "Scarhead." He finally did something, and bless his little tiny Death Eater heart, he just got in too deep. I think she did a good job on making him a realistic 16 year old in this book. He wanted glory and power, but when he thought he was going to fail...he cried. He's jealous of Harry, like a normal teenage boy. He just wanted to keep his family safe, in the end, and when Dumbledore offered him hope and that possibility, he nearly caved to it. But when the "big boys" came, he couldn't show him that he even had the minutest amount of interest in keeping Dumbledore alive, because they would kill him. (But who's to say he's not going to be killed anyway?)

Okay...I am WAY too much of a fangirl to seriously discuss this.

-Sarah
"And I am a writer
writer of fiction
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones...
Let me go if you don't love me" ~The Decembrists "Engine Driver"

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:20 am
sabradan says...

Ok, my theory as to why the Harry/Ginny thing was so fast when compared to Harry and Cho is twofold:
1. Hormones. In the previous books, they both were younger, thus less hormones, thus less of a sexual drive to want to date, etc.
2. Harry spends more time with/sees more of Ginny. He lives with her for a few months during the summer, she is in the same house as he is, she plays on the house Quiddich team with him, etc. He had more time to 1, develop a freindship with her, and 2. develop a physical attraction to him. Plus, if you remember, Ginny always had a crush on Harry (remember in book 2?) so, it doesn't seem that unrealistic, especially when you consider the dating habits of some real life teenagers. I do not feel that her character or them dating was unrealistic or undeveloped. But I did think it was cute. Maybe I'm just too much of a romantic....
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:24 am
DarkerSarah says...

Hey, you posted that thrice!

I guess I'm just biased because I don't like them together.
"And I am a writer
writer of fiction
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones...
Let me go if you don't love me" ~The Decembrists "Engine Driver"

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:41 am
uniaeca says...

Ok just to expand on the game Quidditch (yes, the game on brooms) for Qi.

The ball you shoot through the hoops is called a Quaffle. It's basically the main continuous point scorer in the game. Also, if people were just watching the game without the Quaffle in it, they would be bored.
In the history of Quidditch, the Quaffle and the Bludgers (the ones that knock people off brooms) were the only balls in the game. Then ages later the Snitch (the little gold ball.) came in. The Snitch actually was designed from a bird called the Snidget I think.

Also if you catch the Snitch you don't 'win' It's just more likely that you'll win because you get a lot of points for it. Remember, in the Goblet of Fire how Viktor Krum got the Snitch but the other team won? It's just that people get a lot of points, that it is considered winning.

Also, the Australian Quidditch team rocks!
Sporks!! and Waffles!! Ohhhh that waffley goodness stabbed with a spork!

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:01 am
Elelel says...

*has no idea what's going on ... but ... *
Also, the Australian Quidditch team rocks!

YEAH!!!
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

14 Reviews

Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:10 am
uniaeca says...

My book only gives out two team names but the Australian teams are the Thundelarra Thunderers and the Woollongong Warriors if anyone wants to know :D I'll type in a full list of team names from the other countries later.

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:20 am
Sponson Light says...

The ending, quite frankly, sucked. Its 2.a.m. and I just finished reading.
Not going back? Its like, way to ditch every thing else.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

14 Reviews

Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:32 am
uniaeca says...

Can you elaborate a little, Sponson Light?

I think that Harry not going back to Hogwarts will leave room for more new, interesting things now. I mean a boarding school isn't much good to be in when you're trying to defeat Voldemort is it?
I think the last six chapters were JK's best, as does my ex drama teacher. And it's so nice to see the school librarian carrying around her copy too.

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:31 pm
Sponson Light says...

Its... unhuman like. Especially for like, 16. Not even for vengeance would a 16 year old go for revenge.

I mean if he stayed at Hogwarts and went periodically it would be fine. But yeah. Its suddenly a James Bond type ordeal.

But thats my opinion.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:47 pm
sabradan says...

Sponson Light wrote:Its... unhuman like. Especially for like, 16. Not even for vengeance would a 16 year old go for revenge.

I mean if he stayed at Hogwarts and went periodically it would be fine. But yeah. Its suddenly a James Bond type ordeal.

But thats my opinion.

I feel kinda the same way. But kinda also like it will allow for more interesting stuff. Maybe JKR will do a combination of both.

"The names Potter, Harry Potter" mwahahahahah
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:13 pm
tori1234 says...

I really have no idea how she did it! Every day I try to think about the ways she did it, and every day a draw a blank! I hope to one day figure out the secret to her success, because she is my OFFICIAL WRITING HERO!
Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba
Sithi uhm ingonyama
Nants ingonyama bagithi baba
Sithi uhhmm ingonyama
Ingonyama
Siyo Nqoba
Ingonyama
Ingonyama nengw' enamabala

If you know what this is from, become my best friend. =)

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:18 pm
Demeter says...

This thread is kind of old...

But I won't resist the temptation of saying I just adore little Malfoy.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:24 pm
ThienThienThien says...

Old, did you say Demeter? This is bloody three years old! Through my eyes, that's really really really long. I agree with Darker Sarah though, JKR is not a good writer, but a good storyteller.
Woot Woot! I'm Paraskavedekatriaphobic! LOL XD Are You?

Resistance is futile.
— The Borg