425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:39 am
Nate says...

From the Washington Post:

Obama Secures Historic Presidential Victory

By Ben Pershing
washingtonpost.com staff writer

Democrat Barack Obama has secured enough electoral votes to be elected the first African-American president of the United States, capping a meteoric rise for the freshman Illinois Senator whose message of change resonated with a remarkably broad cross-section of voters across the country.

Obama, 47, defeated Arizona Sen. John McCain (R) Tuesday by a convincing margin, appearing to hold every state won by Democrats in the 2004 election while making significant inroads into previously Republican states in the South, Midwest and Mountain West. His victory, along with the expansion of Democratic majorities in the House and Senate, gives the party complete control of both the executive and legislative branches for the first time since 1994.

As polls closed on the West Coast Tuesday night, Obama supporters around the nation could be seen on television reveling in their candidate's victory. McCain publicly conceded at 11:15 p.m. eastern time, making a conciliatory statement and congratulating Obama for winning "an historic election."

Full Article

A bit of commentary... a couple of weeks ago, a very good French friend of mine told me he didn't believe Obama would be elected because America was so racist. So, in your face frenchman! If you're a McCain supporter, at least take heart that a Frenchman was once again proven wrong ;)

In all seriousness, this does prove that America is a meritocracy where anyone can grow up to be President.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:42 am
Sam says...

It hasn't really held true since Lincoln was elected, and, in the words of John Stewart, they're just "two skinny guys from Illinois".
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:43 am
BigBadBear says...

I'm glad politicians will stop hoggin' up my TV time. And w00t! Go Obama!

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

425 Reviews

Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:44 am
Nate says...

Sam wrote:It hasn't really held true since Lincoln was elected, and, in the words of John Stewart, they're just "two skinny guys from Illinois".

Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, and Bill Clinton all came from inauspicious beginnings ;)

And that's just three of the last five Presidents.

1258 Reviews

Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:47 am
Sam says...

Haha, but you have to admit--log cabin, single parents...the Illinois senators have got it made as far as dramatic stories are concerned, true or partially fabricated.

I'm really excited to see what the aftershocks will be like as far as society is concerned. True, he's not black, he's mixed race--but he's definitely not white in the way that the past forty-three presidents have been.

- Demetri Martin

425 Reviews

Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:49 am
Nate says...

Sam wrote:Haha, but you have to admit--log cabin, single parents...the Illinois senators have got it made as far as dramatic stories are concerned, true or partially fabricated.

Bill Clinton's father was killed in an automobile accident three months before he was born.
Last edited by Nate on Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:54 am
Via says...

I'm actually really impressed by our country, to tell you the truth. I don't fully 100% agree with either candidate, and I do not claim a party, but I far preferred Obama over McCain.

Mostly, who would have thought we'd see a president in our lifetime that different from our Caucasian male history? It's so amazing how far our country has come, and I have the upmost respect that Obama is willing to be the first.

:D
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:59 am
View Likes
Flemzo says...

The student center exploded when CNN made the projection. And while I was excited that the candidate I have been supporting since the beginning (and the VP candidate I was supporting the entire time, as well) was finally elected, it was a bit nerve-wracking to be the only white person there celebrating. But it was a good time.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:05 am
Snoink says...

Hooray! I'm glad it's over. Now, we can stop talking about change and see what we can do. ;)

PLUS! PLUS! Since Obama was elected, this means that Fand gets to stay with us. Although, I was sort of hoping to see her in Ireland... but enough of that! XD
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1258 Reviews

Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:30 am
Sam says...

Bill Clinton's father was killed in an automobile accident three months before he was born.

Nate, you are just no fun, and that is that. XD

- Demetri Martin

425 Reviews

Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:50 am
Nate says...

Sam wrote:

Just imagine me in real life :P

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:57 am
Snoink says...

Nate wrote:
Sam wrote:

Just imagine me in real life :P

Seriously... we called him up once and all he could say is, "What? Wow. Um... who is talking?" XD
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:46 pm
Blink says...

Was that a prank call? Because they rule. =P

Anyhow, I'm not too shocked Obama won after those repetitive, daily polls in his favour but looking back it's a great achievement.

Go him!

:smt102
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:32 pm
Linx says...

Yeah, I was on YWS and I had my internet on Yahoo dashboard too. I changed to it every five mintues to update it, but it sometimes changes on its own. Well, I was about to review someone's post when my computer froze. It unfreezed in about 20 seconds, and I immediately changed it to the dashboard. I saw California, Washington, and Oregon all three blue and it declared Obama the winner. At 10:07 p.m.
Go Obama! (Not GO BAMA! Alambama stinks even if it is number one) :D
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." ~ Lao-tzu

Attack, IM, or PM me at any time. I will respond. ;)

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:02 pm
Cade says...

*dances*

His acceptance speech was just...wow. That was excellent. I wasn't a huge Obama fan, more like a definitely-NOT-McCain fan, but I really do hope he's an amazing president so that I can help reelect him in 2012 when I can actually vote. :)
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper.
— T.S. Eliot