z

Young Writers Society

Attention College Students!

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:47 pm
View Likes
Trident says...

Hi everyone. I'm working on a website for my university's English department. I was hoping to get any original articles, analysis, book reviews, comic strips, or basically anything that has to do with English or being an English major. I would prefer shorter articles (maybe 1500 words). I would really appreciate any help here.

If you have anything that could be submitted, or could create anything (which would be awesome!), please contact me by PM. Please feel free to discuss any ideas in this thread.
Perception is everything.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:01 pm
View Likes
Emerson says...

I have a great Dilbert comic that my dad taped to my moniter about being an English Major. :D I'll have to scan it in for you.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

376 Reviews

Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:16 pm
View Likes
Trident says...

Hey Suzie, that would be great, but I'm especially looking for original stuff.

I'd still love to have the comic strip though. We just need to make sure we have all the proper rights/citations that we need. Thanks!

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:08 am
View Likes
Icaruss says...

Well, I could do something.

But I'm a Peruvian College student so it wouldn't be very relevant.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

376 Reviews

Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:37 am
Trident says...

It would if it has anything to do with literature or writing. I don't see how that would make too much a difference. It might even be an interesting contrast in teaching styles.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:17 pm
View Likes
lyrical_sunshine says...

I'm a freelance writer for a newspaper in my hometown, and I write a monthly column. Would you like me to write you something like that? I could even send you a copy of one of the columns in the paper, but you'd have to email my editor and get official permission.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:38 pm
View Likes
piepiemann22 says...

Hm, I'm not a college student, why am I looking at this? ha ha. I recently wrote a poem about inspiration to the arts like writing, art, and music. If you like I'll give it to you after some tweaking to better fit what you need.
I will always fight back, no matter what.

376 Reviews

Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:26 pm
Trident says...

Hi lyrical_sunshine, something like that would be awesome. To be perfectly honest, I would prefer something new, but I would definitely be more than happy with an already published article, and as you said, I would have to get proper permissions. If you did want to go the route of writing something fresh, would it be possible to give me a heads up on the topic? I just want to make sure I don't have any articles that really repeat themselves too much.

And to piepieman: it's definitely okay that you're not a college student. I would certainly be happy to accept something written by a high school student. However, I'm not looking for creative works, per se, but more along the lines of informational articles or even satirical. If you have any more questions feel free to ask away.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:12 pm
View Likes
lyrical_sunshine says...

Well, I have an article due tomorrow actually. I think it's going to be basically about growing up and following your dreams. Is that good?
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

376 Reviews

Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:50 pm
Trident says...

That sounds pretty good. Why don't you PM me with a synopsis? If you're going to publish it somewhere else, then I need to get permission to use it on my site. We can figure out the specifics in the PM. Thanks!

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:39 am
View Likes
Areida says...

I go to a not-normal college... Do you want something on West Point for your site?
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

376 Reviews

Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:57 am
View Likes
Trident says...

Hey Ari. Short answer is yes, absolutely.

A personal question: would you say there might be anything different in teaching English in a military school like West Point as opposed to a different university? If so, then that right there would make an interesting article in itself.

If you could, would you please PM about what you might be willing to submit? Thanks!

376 Reviews

Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:56 pm
Trident says...

Hi everyone, I have a new call written that might explain things a little better. Here it is:

"The Tattered Scribe", a blog written by students for students, is looking for short articles dealing with English majors and general English studies. The articles should be written in a style appropriate for blogs and should be under 1500 words; shorter pieces (lists, tips, brief observations, etc.) are also welcome. We're looking for articles that are less academic than quirky in nature. For example, an article titled "A Postmodern Perspective of Shakespeare's Influence in Academia" would be less preferable than an article titled "Why Shakespeare Rules the School (and why he really sucks)".

Other examples:

The Stupidest Mistakes You'll Make with MLA
Why James Joyce is a Sexist Pig
How to Avoid Working at McDonald's After Graduate School
Seven Tips for Procrastinators (okay, six tips)
Compromising Pictures of Me with my Favorite Books
How to BS Your Way Through Literary Analysis
Indiana Jones' Bookshelf
What the #&*! is Rhetoric Anyway?

Feel free to be creative with your topics, but remember that "The Tattered Scribe" can be read and enjoyed by anyone, including professors.

Please submit articles to riedy.calv@students.uwlax.edu

It would be really great if you could submit something, even if it is short. "The Tattered Scribe" is a blog after all, and there are many times short postings on blogs. I will post a link soon if you want to check out how everything is coming along. Right now, we're working on some technical and design aspects, but it should be good to go here soon. Thanks!

akdsjfh you know that feeling where you start writing a scene but then you get bored with the scene so you move on and start writing a different scene and then you get bored with that scene so you move on to an entirely different WIP and then you get bored with that so you move on-
— AceassinOfTheMoon