z

Young Writers Society

You Know You're a Re-enactor When...

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:56 pm
Fishr says...

so I thught I'd cheer myself up by showing this to you all. I know I got a good laugh. This was my first year re-enacting the 18th C. Some of you already know this but for those who don't, I am a member of the 29th Infantry who protrays the Light Infantry Company of the British Army. [insert boo's here] I only was able to attend three events but already a good part of this list applies to me, lol. From my blog, here you go and for reference in the brackets are my comments:

You know you are a reenactor when....

You can identify a regiment by the curses you heard in their camp

You can spot 100% wool or linen at 30 yards

You have spent over $500 on clothes that went out of style 200 years ago [guilty]

You have spent almost a thousand dollars for a gun that requires a percussion cap to work [noy yet, but guilty nonetheless]

You have replayed the Discovery Channel's Rev War series (or the Patriot/Gettysburg/gods and generals) 25 times in a row just to get a glimpse of your foot in the left hand corner of the screen [I think replaying such eps myself to find my friend's foot still counts so, guilty again!]

You've uttered the phrase, "only 68 more days until (pick an event)" [guilty]

You consider life's essentials to be black powder and beer [guilty, except on the beer part. XD]

Your teachers says, "Oh, are you going out to play that war crap again?" [if I was still in school, they probably would have for sure!]

Your guests see your uniform and ask if you are in a theater production [it'll happen sure enough]

When the power goes out you click into 18th century mode, and the tin lanterns come out [lol! I might very well do that one night since I am looking around for period lanturns]

You have a wooden barrel or canteens soaking in the bathtub

You travel over 1,000 miles to sleep in a tent [guilty with that in the near future. Hasn't happened this year yet]

You've driven by some open land and thought, "What a great place for a battle!" [uh hem, guilty, even BEFORE I joined the Crown...]

You've worn wool when the temperature tops 100 degrees, repeatedly [guilty - 92F]

You look at a beautiful girl in a bikini and wonder what she looks like in stays and authentic period correct dress [no comment - lol!]

You've received cuts, burns, ticks, chiggers, poison ivy, and still look forward to reenacting again next time [guilty]

You have three muskets stacked in the corner of the room [eh, does one count?]

You have named your firelock, have slept with it and fondle it lovingly

You have bought or made lead dice

You've made a career decision based upon its impact on your weekends [Sadly, I arranged my schedule a lot this year to accomandate my weekends, lol!]

You've made a vehicle purchase decision based on how well it accommodates your gear and how easily it can get into and out of muddy fields

On Monday your business associates comment on the funny sunburn that ends at the hat line

No one will attend a war movie with you [guilty]

Your $20,000 car sits out in the rain so your $200 tent can stay in the garage [lol! I don't own a car but I know others who have told me the above to be true]

You own real books ... and READ them [guitly - and they're in the original publishing date, no remakes!]

You are on PETA's hit list ... we love animals: we eat them and wear their skins [ah hem, guilty. I have a tunic hanging in my closet now that's from pelts]

En-route to/from an event, you are asked at a gas station/restaurant/hospital (it's happened) if you are Amish

You spend more on a pair of reenacting shoes than you do "dress” or normal shoes [guilty]

Your neighbors are no longer curious when they see you carry around a 5 foot musket, large knives or swords [guilty]

You earn a good salary, but you're always broke [eh... depends on which day of the week. ;)]

Your mailman stays confused (what the heck rank are you in the Reserves, anyway?)

You appreciate Monty Python and can recite all their famous skits

Your Christmas/birthday wish list reads like a quartermaster's supply request

You eat five meals out of a bowl and wash it twice [guilty]

You look into the bottom of your mug to make sure it's not too nasty, and then shake out the ants before filling it for another round, yet you ask for a clean knife at a restaurant because it has water spots [guilty]

You fly strange flags

You or your kids can correct their history teacher [guilty ;)]

When the car next to you is blaring rap out the window at a stoplight you returned fire with Scotland the Brave [lol! How could you not like that?]

You smoke a pipe, and actually smoke tobacco out of it

You go to yard sales looking for clay jugs and wooden barrels. [guilty]

You know how to make, and actually enjoy drinking, Grog

You own a cannon

Your bedroom looks like a museum exhibit [*sighs* So guilty]

You've ever attempted to get clearance to buy black powder in bulk

You can spot the difference between hand and machine stitching

You ever did something stupid "Because the first sergeant told me to" [give it time, it'll happen]

You ever did something stupid in the name of authenticity [many times, even BEFORE I joined the Crown]

You onw a fife and drum CD [does listening to them repeatedly count?]

You don’t know what it is and it doesn’t taste good but your eating it [yep! guilty]

Sadly, some of these already apply to me, lol!
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters.
— Solomon Short