z

Young Writers Society

Publishing?

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:53 am
Jon says...

I really want to publish the children's story i wrote, but i want to do it right. I have it in my portfolio if you would like to look at it, but please no critiques on it.

Where should i go to do this?

Should i wait?

I definitely am going to revise it and make sure it's the best it can be before it goes out but I'm also kind of scared being that this would be my first attempt at doing so.

I don't want to make any moves before i have anything planned out first and i really have no clue where to start.

I would really love some advice and guidance O' great people of YWS.

Thankyou.

---Jon---
P.S. -- I also need a title revision!

thankyou
:D
Last edited by Jon on Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gay Writing/Support Group. Gay or not, spread the word!

Support GLBT people -- God does.

Got YWS?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:49 am
Nate says...

Unfortunately, getting a children's story published is extremely difficult. If that's what you want to do, then check out this site: http://www.underdown.org/

You'll first have to find an agent, someone who will shop your story around to potential publishers. When finding an agent, do not go with anyone who asks for money directly from you. Same goes with publishers. If they ask you to shell out just one dime, then it's a scam.

Also, keep in mind that writing for children is probably the hardest style of writing. It can take years to write a simple 8 page story (on Word) that a publisher will accept. Fortunately, after you get the first one published, it gets easier. But getting that first one published takes years.

So good luck, but keep in mind that if this what you want to do, then you have to be in it for the long haul.

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:07 pm
Jon says...

Thanks, Nate

I'll look into that.

Thankyou

---Jon---
:D
Gay Writing/Support Group. Gay or not, spread the word!

Support GLBT people -- God does.

Got YWS?

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:08 pm
Blink says...

Ye, Nate's pretty much got it said.

When you say Children's book, do you mean say, a tale, or a novel (eg. Harry Potter)? I'm guessing the latter, and if so they're slightly easier to get published. Once it's been polished and torn apart (but not too much, let it flow!) send the manuscript to an agent. Often they are, publisher's especially, genre specific. Also do some background checking on them via their website and Google-ing their name.

Best of luck, PM me with any thoughts (though I am yet to be published!).

:smt102
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.
— Albus Dumbledore