z

Young Writers Society

New YWS Mock-Up (for real)

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:20 am
Nate says...

Unlike my previous one, this is an actual mock-up of the new YWS, which will be unveiled in early 2009. Some caveats:

- The header image will not look like that! The header image will be the exact same header image we have now.

- This is a quick mock-up and things will change.

Those two aside, this is kind of what I want to do. In this mock-up, the Fiction section is shown. Near the top, you can see links to specific genres in Fiction to narrow it down. Twenty stories would be displayed on the page (only seven are shown in this example). Descriptions would be shown when you hover over the link with your mouse.

Each literary section will be displayed the same.

And lastly, please comment! If you don't like it, let me know why. If you do like it, let me know.
Attachments
mock_up.jpg
mock_up.jpg (93.34 KiB) Viewed 408 times
Last edited by Nate on Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:25 am
PenguinAttack says...

Oooh, I like it, Lee.

I can't wait to see it when it allll happens. ^^ Awesomesocks.

*Hearts* Le Penguin.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:27 am
Meshugenah says...

Nate! (geez, quit changing what you upload on me! *attempts to glare* I had a witty retort to the "title" of my peice :P)

Ok, seriously! I like how this looks so far! So this'll show the 20 newest, what will the archive look like - -how it is now, just a page number? So twenty stories per page?
Last edited by Meshugenah on Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

425 Reviews

Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:30 am
Nate says...

Meshugenah wrote:Nate! (geez, quit changing what you upload on me! *attempts to glare*)

Ok, seriously! I like how this looks so far! So this'll show the 20 newest, what will the archive look like - -how it is now, just a page number? So twenty stories per page?

Heh... I forgot that I left some words in that are now cleaned up.

Anyhow, good point and I forgot to add that into the mockup. To the right of "Recently Updated" there'll be page numbers much like you have now (1, 2, 3...37, 38, 39). Clicking on a number will only refresh the "Recently Updated" section rather than the entire page.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:50 am
Teague says...

Oh wow, I like the idea of the description popping up when you hover over it. Very nifty, very cool. Also, I like the categorized Recently Updated thing. And the tabbed doohickey is neat, too.

My only real complaint is that I think the user box should be on top of the advertising instead of the other way round. But that's not too much of an issue. ^^

Teague
x
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:46 am
Matt Bellamy says...

Wow, in your mock-up, freakforchrist actually posted something! :lol: Looking good!
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:55 am
thunder_dude7 says...

Well, I like most of it. Except for one thing: the navigation bar.

I mean, say I went to "Fiction" and wanted to post action/adventure. I would have to carefully move my mouse all the way across that skinny bar, and if I wavered off, it disappears. Then I'd have to try again.

I also like the pictures we have now in the navigation toolbar.

Oh, and the recently update literary works thing. I don't like that. I mean, look at that list. Am I on there? Nope. Seriously. Respect my pure awesomeness.

(If you didn't understand that that was a joke, it was)

I liked the first image you showed us better.[/other joke]

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:18 pm
BigBadBear says...

What does Top [1, 2, 3] by test mean?

I think it's pretty nifty. I really like the idea of being able to hover over pieces to see what they're about!

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:28 pm
Conrad Rice says...

Looks good. The only thing I mourn is the apparent loss of the Other Fiction category. I mean, there's already an Other category in the forums today. What will happen to the wonderful Other Fiction category? I only ask because a large portion of my work goes in that category.
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:28 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Hmmm. *tries to squash initial wariness* But the current YWS is so awesome! I know I'll love this once I see it in action (it's YOU, Nate), but...*wary*
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

425 Reviews

Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:23 pm
Nate says...

thunder_dude7 wrote:I mean, say I went to "Fiction" and wanted to post action/adventure. I would have to carefully move my mouse all the way across that skinny bar, and if I wavered off, it disappears. Then I'd have to try again.

That bottom most nav bar constantly shows. While browsing Poetry, it displays all the poetry forums. While browsing Community, it displays all the community forums. There's no hovering or anything like that. It just changes depending on which section you're in.

Jared wrote:What does Top [1, 2, 3] by test mean?

They're just placeholders. When this is completed, the top three featured works in Fiction would be displayed there. "New" would show the newest three works, and "Friends" would display the three newest works by your friends.

Conrad Rice wrote:The only thing I mourn is the apparent loss of the Other Fiction category.

The Other Fiction category isn't lost, it's just labeled as Other at top. The current "Other" category would be displayed under "Literary Misc." as it is now.

Teague wrote:My only real complaint is that I think the user box should be on top of the advertising instead of the other way round. But that's not too much of an issue. ^^

I actually did it first like the way you suggested, but it looked too heavy. Breaking up the size of boxes makes it more aesthetically pleasing.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:30 pm
View Likes
Clo says...

I like it! It looks real savvy. Two thumbs up, Big Nate! :)
How am I not myself?

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Jon says...

I don't know yet...

I just like this site too much, will this site shut down when the new one is up?

---Jon---
I'll have to see it in action :D
Gay Writing/Support Group. Gay or not, spread the word!

Support GLBT people -- God does.

Got YWS?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:40 pm
Emerson says...

I think it looks interesting, but of course it would look more interesting in action. It's hard for me to really get a feel for it, just looking at the picture. I want to use it and play with it! I trust that your judgment is sound, so! I'm all for it. There doesn't seem to be anything I'd really complain about, other than it just seems... odd, but that is only because it is different. I can get over that.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:59 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Ah. So that bar won't disappear unless I mouse over, say, the poetry tab?

That's fine, then. I like the re-working of the featured works. The recently updated thing also is neat.

So nice work.

"I think; therefore, I am."
— René Descartes