NEA Funds Construction Of $1.3 Billion Poem

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:56 pm
Nate says...

Government waste?

National Endowment For The Arts Funds Construction Of $1.3 Billion Poem

September 12, 2008 | Issue 44•37

WASHINGTON—The National Endowment for the Arts announced Monday that it has begun construction on a $1.3 billion, 14-line lyric poem—its largest investment in the nation's aesthetic- industrial complex since the $850 million interpretive-dance budget of 1985.

"America's metaphors have become strained beyond recognition, our nation's verses are severely overwrought, and if one merely examines the internal logic of some of these archaic poems, they are in danger of completely falling apart," said the project's head stanza foreman Dana Gioia. "We need to make sure America's poems remain the biggest, best-designed, best-funded poems in the world."

Gioia confirmed that the public-works composition will be assembled letter-by-letter atop a solid base of the relationship between man and nature. The poem's structure, laid out extensively on lined-paper blueprints, involves a traditional three- quatrain-and-a-couplet framework, which will be tethered to an iambic meter for increased stability and symmetry. If the planners can secure an additional $6.2 million in funding, they may affix a long dash to the end of line three, though Gioia said that is a purely optimistic projection at this stage.

The poem is expected not only to revitalize the community, Gioia said, but also create jobs for the nation's hundreds of out-of-work poets. According to the proposed budget, the poem's 224 authors have allocated $4 million for the final rhyming couplet, $52 million to insert hyphens into the word "tomorrow" so it reads "to-morrow," $7.45 for a used copy of John Keats' Selected Poems for ideas and inspiration, and $450 million for a simile likening human fate to the wind.

Some experts, however, say the poem is already at risk of going over budget, citing the soaring $5,000-per-square-inch cost of vellum, and an ambitious but perhaps ill-conceived $135 million undertaking to make the word "owl" rhyme with "soul."

Full Article Here

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:09 am
Cade says...

XD I love the Onion.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:14 am
Prokaryote says...

Cade wrote:XD I love the Onion.

Word.

This is gold.

Pork

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:19 am
Griffinkeeper says...

I saw it and thought, "If Nate hasn't posted this, I will."

Awesome stuff.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:28 pm
Snoink says...

They should give me 1.3 million dollars for writing a poem...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

To answer before listening—that is folly and shame.
— Proverbs 18:13