z

Young Writers Society

*kisses nate's feet*

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:24 am
Sam says...

Woah...OK...I just want to thank Nate for making this site that's not SO DANG UPTIGHT.

My old writing site deleted the post and threatened to kick me off the site for posting part of Hourglass up for critique...(ya know, the bit about the Reverend, which isn't even that bad).

THANK YOU!!!!!!

*mwah* *mwah*
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:45 pm
Emma says...

Yay?!?!?!

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:55 pm
Flikity says...

EEEEEEHHHHHH??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????
£££

my money! ^^ hehe

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:31 pm
Crysi says...

Don't make this into a random thread, or it'll be moved to the Randomness board.

I think Nate has the right idea with this site. It's extremely tolerant, so you can post pretty much anything on here. And most of the members are mature enough to handle it.

That's really stupid that a writing site would threaten to kick you off for a piece of writing. If you can't freely have your pieces critiqued, then it's not worth it.
Love and Light

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:25 am
bard_of_life says...

Sam, do u mean realkids? If you do.... GO SAMMY GO SAMMY! WOOH WOOH GO SAMMY!
*Falls over laughing* I'm going to announce my leave from Realkids. It's not worth it any longer... I just can't stand terrible crit. And here they throw your writing to the ground like I want them too! Thank's Nate, and Sam, could u e-mail me what u have written of hourglass? I'd love to read it it sounds so mild if Morris yelled at you for it! Haha. go sammy, go sammy...
WHERE THE HELL IS MY MUSE???

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:36 am
Rei says...

Yeah. As writers, we shouldn't be afraid of a piece of writing. Because that's all people who want to censer are, afraid. Sometimes we have to say things in a certain way that might be offensive to some to get our point across, or to portray a character/setting realisticly.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

1258 Reviews

Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:44 am
Sam says...

HECKYES I DO, BARD!

And I'm 11, so I have an utter lack of being able to make anything truly disturbing...like that piece, you could tell I was trying to be but it didn't quite work out. :P

So needless to say...I might not visit there much anymore...

And Bard, who were you?

- Demetri Martin

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:51 am
Elizabeth says...

I can't tell the difference between the lounge and randomness becaues things usually end up random
but yes thank you.
it even came equipped with the old naggy people... *shifty eyes*

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:31 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

Realkids is a board for kids though, I was talking to someone who emailed Deborah Morris about what was appropiate and they said she said anything with drugs, swearing etc isn't appropiate. It is basically a board for the younger writers, and if she threw off your story I'm so glad she didn't read one of mine :shock: she'd probably have banned me :roll:

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:48 pm
Sureal says...

*innocent look*

What's the URL are for Realkids?
I wrote the above just for you.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:07 pm
bard_of_life says...

Sureal - it's www.eboars4all.com/944262 Haha! I hope you give 'em hell, perdone my french, haha!

Sam - I'm Clint Sam, haha nice try trying to "fix" the board! my email is ctendoh@yahoo.com so send it there please! By the way, Sam I'd appreciate it if you would "crit" my goodbye, as it has the makings of a story already beginning in my head.
WHERE THE HELL IS MY MUSE???

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:25 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

You've said you were on it fo a few years were you there about 4/5 years ago when aload of people from my scool signed up? It was pretty ace then, but when I came back a year later it pretty much sucked...

Random avatar

Reviews: 32
Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:30 am
J. Wilder says...

dreaming_mouse wrote:Realkids is a board for kids though, I was talking to someone who emailed Deborah Morris about what was appropiate and they said she said anything with drugs, swearing etc isn't appropiate. It is basically a board for the younger writers, and if she threw off your story I'm so glad she didn't read one of mine :shock: she'd probably have banned me :roll:

That was me, I e-mailed her. I was thinking about posting an excerpt from This is the Best It Gets where the protagonist is arguing about religion with one of his ex-friends-with-benefits who's now a fanatical Christian. (Aside from the religion controversy, it also included swearing, a reference to underage drinking, etc.)

Here is the e-mail I sent:

Hi. I was wondering if we could have more detailed guidelines on what's ok and what's not ok to post.

1) Is it ok to have swearwords in writing if we censor them (for example, "sh**" instead of "shit")? And it's ok to say "damn" and "hell," right?

2) Can we write about topics such as religion in a controvercial way? In one thing I'm writing two characters have an argument about religion. The writing itself is not sacreligious, in my opinion, but one of the characters is very anti-religion, and since he is the one narrating it I can see where some people would assume that the story is against religion. I wouldn't get in trouble for posting that, right?

3) What if something involves drug use and underage drinking and partying? Is that allowed?

Thanks for your time.

Jess

About swearing, she wrote:

I believe the filters are set to stop "damn" and "hell", although you
can (with moderation) use the modified versions with asterisks. Just
keep in mind that good writing means that swearwords are used
minimally and deliberately for effect (as in to establish the
negative character of a "bad guy"), not peppered throughout for no
particular reason. Use them sparingly and wisely.

About controversy, she wrote:

Controversy is okay, but tread carefully here. If you do veer
into sacrilege, as in putting forth what amounts to a persuasive,
one-sided argument which could be construed as being anti-God, I'll
probably ask you to chill. You might temper all posts that are going
to skim close to that line by adding an editor's note at the
beginning to explain that you're simply characterizing your
fictitious anti-religious character through his/her statements, NOT
making those statements as fact or as *your* personal position.

About partying, she wrote:

only IF it's portrayed negatively. We do have much
stricter content guidelines that many "anything goes" writing groups
because of the age group, but it's also a fact of commercial writing
that you need to keep your eye on the mainstream... and mainstream
America still reveres God, country, and family values.

Since it's her site, it's perfectly okay for her to decide what goes on it, but personally, I don't really get why most "offensive" stuff is considered offensive. Like, as far as swearing goes, to me swearwords are just words. In real life, kids swear, so in realistic fiction kids should swear. Same goes with drinking.

493 Reviews

Reviews: 493
Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:47 am
Misty says...

OH MY GOSH I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW STUPID I AM!!!!!!!

I just posted a thread on RK that asked if I was allowed to post my stuff about pedifile and violent rape..I AM SUCH A FREAKING IDIOT!!!! not to mention that that story also has stuff about homosexual rape (except the guy that got raped wasn't a homosexual no offense to people who are but IT HAPPENS.) And the girl's father gets her pregnant...yeah I DON'T THINK i can post that on RK...sheesh.

But if you guys want to read it, you're welcome to check out what's posted of it so far (hasn't gotten graphic yet I've only just started it, but it's under action/adventure fiction as My new (scary) book, title suggestions appreciated, PG-13 (although it should have been R, I think.)

yeah...that was bad about asking about posting that...bad misty. must go apologize before I get booted again. (It sucks getting kicked off of writing websites--has happened to me twice.)

1258 Reviews

Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:43 am
Sam says...

HAHAHAHA!

Very, very funny, J. Wilder.

'(as in to establish the
negative character of a "bad guy"),'

My characters' favorite terms are like...'Bloody hell!' and 'S**t!' And he's not the bad guy. I mean, *later in the story* he's a 15-year-old boy. A very rich, 15-year-old boy at boarding school. (Yes, I shall give away bits of the story to make me case :P)

' Can we write about topics such as religion in a controvercial way?'

The Reverend of the town is a violent pervert. HAHAHA! This is great...

'About partying, she wrote:

only IF it's portrayed negatively. We do have much
stricter content guidelines that many "anything goes" writing groups
because of the age group, but it's also a fact of commercial writing
that you need to keep your eye on the mainstream... and mainstream
America still reveres God, country, and family values.'

OK. My book takes place in an age where sex/marriage was expected by like age 16. There was no 'underage' for pretty much ANYTHING. You can't portray something that was normal as 'negative'.

'and mainstream
America still reveres God, country, and family values.'

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! God is OK. But country...one boy is a fierce Loyalist and the other fights in the British army (YES, MUSKETS, JACK!). They both live in Rhode Island.

As for 'family values'...Well, I won't give away his family history.

But I can't say many family values are represented here. :P (there would be a load of more evidence there)

I mean, at the beginning, the kid's 13 and a convicted murderer. The other kid becomes so used to killing that it's basically a reflex; he does not feel anything.

And with religion...if you look, all 7 sins are represented, but in mostly positive lights.

No, Deborah, that's not mainstream America, that's life.

Perhaps you've heard of that?

- Demetri Martin

When we are children we seldom think of the future. This innocence leaves us free to enjoy ourselves as few adults can. The day we fret about the future is the day we leave our childhood behind.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind