z

Young Writers Society

The U.S Open

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:44 am
Jiggity says...

Tennis fans unite!

Rightio - first off, wasn't so sure where to put this - just a space for us to comment on the U.S Open, tennis in general, and other related...stuff. Favourite players and such. My own favourite player, idol, and God, is Roger Federer - the 12-time Grand Slam Swiss Maestro.

Ever since his illness in the beginning of the year, he's suffered a few more losses then usual, which on top of the debilitating mononucleosis (which apparently doesn't leave the body, but has dormant and active phases) has really dented his confidence. Now his record 272 week, consecutive reign as Number 1. has come to an end and the new champion is Rafael Nadal, who has had a phenomenal season.

This particular U.S Open is really crucial - it will test the new world number 1. who has yet to make even the semi-finals at this event, and it will test Roger's mental strength. He's won at the U.S Open for four years running now - winning it again will be just what he needs to get back on track. Let's not forget the likes of Andy Murray (in great form at the moment) and Djokovic (losing some of his consistency).

So, talk away!

P,S - Can someone tell me when it will be 7pm, Tuesday, for you guys? That's when Federer plays and coverage for me, in Sydney, begins at 1am-3pm, so I kinda want to get it right.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:10 am
Trident says...

Okay, I love tennis. Can't wait for it to start. We'll see what Federer has left in him after his Olympics loss to James Blake (who unfortunately was out the next round).

I think Federer will win it against Djokovic in the final (unless they're in the same semi).
Perception is everything.

798 Reviews

Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:40 am
Jiggity says...

Really? Even though Djokovic hasn't been so crash-hot lately? I don't think the Olympics loss will have too much of an effect on Federer, given he won the doubles gold. That will have helped him a bit.

I think Nadal will make the semi's and lose there.

Federer should make the finals, but I can't say who he'll be up against. Maybe Murray, or Djokovic, or even Del Potro (very unlikely, despite his unusually long winning streak)

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:12 pm
Emerson says...

I'm sososo excited to watch. Even though I am a Nadal fan, I'm just excited to watch what happens, because it could be anyone. Nadal isn't best on this court type.

I think it's funny no one talks about women's. Guh, Women's. I don't like women's tennis. It's not as entertaining.

Additionally, Jiggster, it will be 7pm Tuesday in four hours. Does this help?

I'd babble more, but I don't have the time.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:50 am
Firestarter says...

Come on Murray!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

798 Reviews

Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:49 am
Jiggity says...

Lol - no, not really Suz, I saw it far too late, but that's okay.

Federer won 6-3, 6-0, 6-3 against M. Gonzalez. He's in fine form! So, that was good to see. I'm actually liking Murray's chance, Jack, given he defeated Djokovic twice in a row on the Serb's favourite surface - not an easy thing to do.

Yeah, I've lost interest in the women's draw - I mean, I follow it, just to keep it up to date but I don't watch it like I used to, in the good old days of Martina Hingis' domination. Her rivalry with Lindsay Davenport was so fun to watch and follow - just as much as it is now to follow the Federer-Nadal rivalry.

798 Reviews

Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:38 am
Jiggity says...

Go Federer! A little patchy on form, but getting better. Certainly playing well enough to beat the struggling Nadal - who I think will lose to Andy Murray anyway.

Who do you guys think will win out of the Djokovic v Roddick Quarter final?

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:00 am
Firestarter says...

I repeat, Come On Murray! In great form. I doubt he will beat Nadal though. His first Grand Slam semi-final is a great step though, and if he keeps improving, I hope he can start to beat the likes of Nadal, Federer and Djokovic regularly. He's number 4 in the world when they release the new rankings, unless Roddick goes all the way (doubtful). Although I do think Roddick might win his quarter-final, Djokovic hasn't looked that good, especially against Robredo.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

798 Reviews

Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:34 am
Jiggity says...

Gah! Roddick had Djokovic on the ropes! He let that game get away from, I swear. I would have loved to see Djokovic lose. I can't stand him.

And just as Novak struggled, so is Rafa, which is why I think Murray can get him. Maybe its just wishful thinking - because I'm desperately hoping for an easy final for Federer, lol. Not so much for him, but for me - my heart can't take another Federer-Nadal tense, down the wire final. It's too much!

(A quick note on the Women: Serena is going to breeze through the rest of the competition and reclaim the number 1 spot)

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:14 pm
Firestarter says...

omg omg omg.

Murray did it! Roll on Federer!

I can't believe he made it to the final; this is really, really good for his career.

798 Reviews

Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:02 am
Jiggity says...

Ha! Told you so - (twice now, lol. Told you so on Facebook too XD)

Murray v Federer - should be a very interesting final.

Federer will win. Obviously.

798 Reviews

Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:38 am
Jiggity says...

I love it when I'm right.

My instincts on tennis are unbeatable.

Federer is all.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:04 pm
Emerson says...

It was a good game, but not as entertaining as a Nadal V. Fed would have been. I'm glad Fed won! Murray was good, but not good enough imo, and hopefully Fed's win will keep him in the game next summer. Even though I'm a Nadal fan, I like watching them play together! It wouldn't be as fun if Fed quit.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

798 Reviews

Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:49 am
Jiggity says...

I don't think he was ever on the verge of quitting, XD.

2009 will be the best season of tennis ever seen, I think. With Nadal number one and desperate to defend; Federer number two, hungry to dominate once more and claim history and Djokovic and Murray both burgeoning along with all those other promising young players; Tsonga, Del Potro, and Gulbis to name a few, rising to the challenge...

It's going to be spectacular.

It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind