z

Young Writers Society

Using CreateSpace

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:18 am
Nate says...

Because Google handles what ads get shown on this site, I don't know if CreateSpace has bought an ad campaign or if it's contextual. Either way, it's been showing up a lot for the past month.

If you haven't heard me say this yet: a publisher pays you, you don't pay a publisher. If a publisher ever tells you "We'll need $150 to publish your book," then avoid them like the plague. Poetry.com is an excellent example of this. They'll publish your poem, but in an anthology that you need to pay $30 for. Then you start getting notices of how you are winning awards, and you only need to pay $100 for the award. Then you get told you're an honorary speaker at a poetry.com convention, and all you need to pay is $850.

CreateSpace, though, seems a lot like Lulu, which I really like. There are no upfront fees, and the only cost you pay for is the cost of printing the book, which is something like $8. So CreateSpace seems fine.

However, keep in mind that printing your book through CreateSpace is not the same as getting your book published! Getting a book published takes time and a ton of rejection letters. Some very famous authors, like Stephen King, went through hundreds of publishing houses before they got a contract.

If you have questions, let me know! Plus, if you ever have a question about a publishing contract, just send it my way.

All truly wise thoughts have been thought already thousands of times; but to make them truly ours, we must think them over again honestly, till they take root in our personal experience.
— Johann Wolfgang von Goethe