425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:23 pm
Nate says...

Living with humans has taught dogs morals, say scientists

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 6:39 AM on 21st August 2008

Dogs are developing a sense of fair play, scientists have found

Dogs are becoming more intelligent and are even learning morals from human contact, scientists claim.

They say the fact that dogs' play rarely escalates into a fight shows the animals abide by social rules.

During one study, dogs which held up a paw were rewarded with a food treat.

When a lone dog was asked to raise its paw but received no treat, the researchers found it begged for up to 30 minutes.

But when they tested two dogs together but rewarded only one, the dog which missed out soon stopped playing the game.

Dr Friederike Range, of the University of Vienna, who led the study, said: 'Dogs show a strong aversion to inequity. I would prefer not to call it a sense of fairness, but others might.'

The first Canine Science Forum in Budapest was attended by more than 200 experts to discuss what is going on inside the mind of a dog.

Human's inclination to invest dogs with human-like states of mind isn't as unscientific as it might appear as they really do have some remarkable mental skills that allow them to thrive in their strange habitat - our world.

Read The Full Text

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:28 pm
ProfessorRabbit says...

Makes sense to me. They were already pretty smart, for animals. People like smart dogs, too, so they're probably breeding smarter.

Definitely awesome, though. :D
Frylock, please, no books! I can't read; I'm not a loser!
-Master Shake

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:20 pm
Clo says...

Oh! That is so cool.

I wouldn't really say these are "morals" though. More like common sense? Dogs just being smarter? Still interesting.
How am I not myself?

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:01 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Arg! I have such a pet peeve about people who try to 'humanize' any animals, but especially dogs. This is a limited series of tests that (as far as the article says) has yet to be repeated or even fully disclosed. My take is that all this says about those dogs is that they've learned what will and will not get them rewarded. That's not morals, that's survival instincts.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:54 pm
Moriarty says...

Oh man, I cannot think of anything more twisted than the "human sense of morality." I didnt' know you could catch it! XD the world is truly doomed

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:08 pm
romance otaku says...

next thing you know they learn how to make nucular bombs and threaten all human life.
~Did I help you? If so, please take a second to sign my website's guestbook at http://joeduncko.com/guestbook/. When it gets 100 signs, I plan to release my newest short story! Thanks!

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:20 am
Galerius says...

dogs can't learn morals. they can imitate, sure, but morals are a god-given gift given only to humans. so its impossible for animals to possess them.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:27 am
Jiggity says...

Who pays these clowns to do these tests? I swear, every day I hear of some new but ultimately pointless discovery by scientists...I mean, aren't there diseases that we need vaccines for?
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:13 am
Icaruss says...

Pavlov's Dog.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:28 am
thunder_dude7 says...

This is almost as pointless as the study that suggested celebreties will be on the red carper nude in 2050.

Reviews: 0
Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:20 am
View Likes
Spirrus says...

So, shall I prepare a fallout bunker for the inevitable war between man's best friend and humanity?
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it."

Random avatar

Reviews: 23
Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:35 pm
lukas8u says...

That's not true, dogs posses honesty and loyalty already. Look at wolves. They worked in packs, these "virtues" are'nt there because we taught them morals, but because their ancient ancestors needed them to survive.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:13 pm
melkor says...

Icaruss wrote:Pavlov's Dog.

Curse you minxy-one.
I was going to say that!
Classical conditioning, lot of fuss about nothing (new).....

"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it. "
"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
~Douglas Adams

Random avatar

Reviews: 52
Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:54 am
Monument Soul says...

I find calling this new trend of behavior amongst domesticated canines "morals" as rather un-scientific...

:roll: who's actually willing to put faith in "chivalry amongst dogs"

I'm not...

I find dogs to be fairly dependent...but I never call faithfulness...at the most, I can see it as...loyalty. :?

If food is poetry, is not poetry also food?
— Joyce Carol Oates