z

Young Writers Society

English vs American writers

197 Reviews

Reviews: 197
Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:37 pm
olivia1987uk says...

I'm proud of my heritage as much as the next person and I do not want to incite any discrimination here...

I just reckon there is definite difference between how English people and American people write. I love both for different reasons but 9 times out of ten you can whether they are from the UK or US. There are obvious differences in terms of place names and differences in dialect etc., but there is something about the style as well....

Does anyone else agree or am I just being weird? Lol

Olivia
xxx

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:32 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

I do agree that they're different. Whether one is better than the other is an argument I don't want to start on (and would be entirely pointless, as well, as it's entirely subjective, and no one would win). As you say, there are good and bad writers on both sides of the pond.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

197 Reviews

Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:40 pm
olivia1987uk says...

I don't want to initiate a war lol....I adore both types myself...they both have so many positive points but there is a definite distinction

Whether it is the vocab or the phrasing or both

xxx

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:42 pm
Twit says...

A giveaway that I've noticed is when in historical novels set in England, the authors refer to the "sidewalk" and "trash".
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

197 Reviews

Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:46 pm
olivia1987uk says...

Being English I don't think I've ever said sidewalk or trash...feels werid to say them but I'm used to hearing them

xxx

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:51 pm
Emerson says...

heehee, sidewalk and trash. What's the other word for sidewalk?

I had a thrill in American Literature, and I'm sure it will be just as fun in Brit Lit, and despite the differences, I don't see a difference in style. I'm not sure it matters where the author is from because everyone will write differently. It will affect the writer's environment, which could play a roll in their style, but one American has a style different than another American, just as one English person will have a different style than another. I personally think Evelyn Waugh is better than Aldous Huxley, but that's just me. (I'm not even sure you can compare them...haha.) I also think that Willa Cather is amazing, but Kate Chopin makes me want to hurl. It doesn't matter where a writer is from for me, if it's well written and I enjoy it, that is that.

Dialect is just regional. Try reading a book about the US south. It's fun!
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

197 Reviews

Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:02 pm
olivia1987uk says...

PAVEMENT!

It seems such a silly word now....

xxx

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:24 am
Clo says...

The pave meant well.... (Bad joke) xD

I usually can tell when I'm reading a British author instead of an American, before even flipping to the back to see where the author was born. I'm not entirely sure why - it's not because of quality or concept - I think it's the words they use. Americans tend to use certain words more, and then the Brits have their words.

I wish there was a list on what word differences there are between Amer. and Brit. writers. I'm sure there is. This requires a search!
How am I not myself?

197 Reviews

Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:08 am
olivia1987uk says...

How about we start our own?

Sounds like fun! So so far we have

Sidewalk = Pavement
Trash = Rubbish

There is also

Trash can = Bin
Pants = Trousers

I'm shocking myself by not being able to think of anymore!

Spellings another thing

color = colour
favorite = favourite
etc...do these count?

xxx

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:03 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Underwear = Pants
Pants = Trousers

Yeah. Got in to some trouble with that one.

Steakhouse = What?

Yeah. The deprived English people don't have steakhouses :shock:

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:29 pm
Ohio Impromptu says...

In Australia we tend to follow the English tradition more than the American, but we also have our own way of writing.

I'm not sure if the same goes for you English, but there's a quite troublesome breakdown in communication between us and the Americans. For example, a pair of sandals, as you might call them, would be referred to here as a pair of thongs. Now, imagine an Australian teacher in a Catholic boys school in the USA telling the boys they can all wear their thongs to the beach when they go there for their class trip. I can tell you that this has happened at least once.

And one more for the list:

Elevator = Lift. For some odd reason, but are widely used here.
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a head that empty?
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a heart that gone?

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:51 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

:shock: OK, the thong thing is just scary. We call sandles either "Sandles" or "Flip-flops", depending on the type.

402 Reviews

Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:15 pm
Clo says...

I was reading an Australian books and I noticed instead of sweater they always said jumper - I think that was it.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

They also said the thongs thing. So... what do they call REAL thongs? :lol:
How am I not myself?

197 Reviews

Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:38 pm
olivia1987uk says...

I say jumper!!!!!!!!!!!

xxx

402 Reviews

Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:15 pm
Clo says...

So a jumper IS a sweater? Makes me think of jumpsuit. And then I get confused. :)

What other words?
How am I not myself?

I continue to be a reverse hipster, I only do things after they've ceased being cool
— BluesClues