z

Young Writers Society

Six Questions

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:22 pm
Trident says...

I was just curious if anyone was interested in a little email game I came across called Six Questions. It's a little bit like the game Scattergories if you've ever played that. I've developed it a little more while playing it with some friends, but we stopped playing over the summer while we were all working and didn't really have the time to play. I was hoping that I could get it started with some YWS members.

Basically you play it once or twice a week and rounds are sent out to everyone at the same time. There are six questions (or categories really) that you must provide an answer for. The rounds are sent back to the host and the game is scored. Usually it only takes five to ten minutes a week to send in the answers, and it's a lot of fun and can be competetive too.

So is anyone interested? If I get enough people who show interest, I'd love to start this up soon. The easiest way to do it is by email, so if you're interested, then please PM me your email address. And if you're uncomfortable with that, then I can also take your answers by PM, although I would certainly prefer email.

I'll post some more thorough instructions if I get enough people interested.

Thanks!
Last edited by Trident on Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perception is everything.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:26 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

My email is attached to my YWS account, you can see it here.

Anyway, I'd like to play. Sounds fun.

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:19 pm
ProfessorRabbit says...

Sounds amusing. If you get enough people, I'll play.
Frylock, please, no books! I can't read; I'm not a loser!
-Master Shake

376 Reviews

Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:48 pm
Trident says...

Sounds good. It really is a fun little game. I would love to start it before the end of August so we could get a monthly point total going.

376 Reviews

Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:04 am
Trident says...

I've got some more people, but I could use a few more. It really is fun and takes hardly any time. I'd love to get a practice round in. I'll post more about rules in a bit here.

376 Reviews

Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:30 am
Trident says...

Er, I don't want to triple post, but was anyone else interested in this?

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:45 am
Jiggity says...

Maybe you should just email it to tonnes of peeps and see how it goes? I like the game Scategories, but like, have little time at the moment. Still, might be fun.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:22 am
chocoholic says...

Sounds fun. I'm in.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

376 Reviews

Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:14 pm
Trident says...

Excellent, I'm going to post the generic e-mail here that everyone is going to get. If you want to invite someone to play (preferably a YWS member), then feel free! Just make sure that I get their username and email address.

I also need emails of everyone playing so if you could send me your preferred email address, then I would appreciate it.

You have been invited to play Six Questions, an e-mail game. It is not run by a website or company, but by me and other various hosts. This e-mail may seem formal, but it is just a generic letter sent to all new players. The next month we will be starting a new monthly round.

Object of the Game
The object of the game is similar to Scattergories. I, or another host, will give you six questions of varying categories. You have to give an answer to each question that you believe will not be given by any other player.

Ex.: A day of the week.

Your answer could be any of the days of the week, but you might believe that less people will put Tuesday, as it is inconspicuous. Of course, you cannot share your answers with anybody else, until they have sent their answers as well.

Replying
In order to get your answers scored, you need to send them to the round host by clicking on the reply button, and sending your answers along with the questions. Please don't delete the questions or just send the answers to the host, as it makes it easier on the host to have the questions along with the answers. It works best if you just click on the reply button and type your answers.

Answers
Your answers should fit the questions the host gives you. If a host says a "current NBA player", Larry Bird would not fit the question. If an answer is questionable, then it is best not to use it. If you doubt that the host would accept the answer, then you should provide a website. It is not the responsibility of the host to make sure an answer is valid.

Incorrect Answers
Many times, a round host will send you back a round if one or more of the answers does not fit the question. They will tell you if an answer is incorrect. You may still submit an answer after this. If you believe your answer is right, then you may argue your case. But be prepared to show some evidence that your answer is right. All final decisions are made by the host.

Scoring
If you give an answer, and it happens that another player gave the same answer, point values for both of your answers will decrease, but not completely lose value.

The scoring works as follows:
A one-person answer is four points.
A two-person answer is three points.
A three-person answer is two points.
A four-or-more-person answer is one point.
(point values may change due to a greater number of people playing)

Ex.: A planet in our solar system.

4 pts - Mercury (Gary), Mars (Sue)
3 pts - Earth (Eric, Melissa)
2 pts - Neptune (Fred, Bob, Bill), Pluto (Phil, Pam, Frita)
1 pt - Jupiter (Ted, Derek, Regina, Harriet, Gretchen)

At the end of the month, the scores are added up and a winner is declared.

How to Start
If you wish to play, then simply reply to this e-mail saying you would like to. The first round should come to you shortly. Six Questions rounds come every couple of days, so in order to keep up, you should check your e-mail often. This month, I will likely only do a round once a week to get us started. Good luck and have fun!

-Calvin Riedy
Questions?: (triviaman87@yahoo.com)

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:41 pm
Via says...

I'm game. :D

My emailage is on here, as well.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

376 Reviews

Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:06 pm
Trident says...

All right! First round is out right now. If you didn't receive it in your email, then PM me so I can send it again. I may have gotten your email address wrong.

I also play myself, so right now we have seven people playing. I swear (and I really am being truthful here) that I pick my answers before I read anyone else's answers. It is the only fair way for me to be able to play.

Once again, feel free to ask other YWS members if they want to play. If they decide they want to, make sure I know!

Best of luck all!

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:57 pm
alwaysawriter says...

I'm in whenever the next round starts or whenever else. :)
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

376 Reviews

Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:04 am
Trident says...

Oh, I forgot to add, the first round is due next Thursday. Anyone can join in the mean time!

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:33 am
Maybe says...

I'll play. My email is attached to my account, the Yahoo one. :D
Be the cartoon heart. Light a fire, light a spark. Light a fire, flame in my heart. We'll run wild, we'll be glowing in the dark.

376 Reviews

Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:48 pm
Trident says...

I've received quite a few rounds back and I'm very pleased so far at how well this is working out. There's been a few answers that I've had to send back, but that happens all the time! So don't feel bad if you happen to do that.

Rounds due next Thursday, and then I'll send out a new round. Please try to get others to join! I want this to be successful.

And anyone who has signed up but hasn't received a round, please PM me. I likely have your email address wrong.

Nothing is impossible, for the word itself says, 'I'm possible!'
— Audrey Hepburn