z

Young Writers Society

do you have bad writing?

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:54 pm
StellaThomas says...

In primary school, they used to spend so long teaching us how to write joint-up (that's cursive to you Yanks ;)), but when I got to secondary school, I pretty much abandoned the habit.

However, one habit I have kept since then is my fountain pen. I rarely used anything else to write with. Blue ink too, I don't like black. In primary school they told us to use blue fountain pens, everybody had to. When I got to secondary school I kept mine with me. Now it's my thing. Some of the teachers don't reognise my work if it's in another pen (except of course, I do maths in pencil).

At one point one of the boys was stealing people's pens and I saw him take mine out of my pencil case. We were in Art so you can move around and talk. I stood there and said "Give it back or die."
My friend passed and said "What'd he do?"

I told him "He took my fountain pen."

He stared at the guy and said "Give it back, or she will hurt you."

It was quite funny that he was as protective of that pen as I was...

But honestly, people, if you're concerned about your writing, fountain pens do help. My writing is sometimes a bit cramped, but it's fine usually.

A question, my friend from the States favours pencil, but the teachers hate you writing in pencil here. In the US do they prefer if you use pencil or pen?

Saint- I've seen far worse...

Sumi- I couldn't anything above the bit about contributing to the Marauder's Map... (?) but apart from that...

The first picture is in biro, the second in fountain pen... oh, and one's an old Latin exam and the other's a book report.
Attachments
handwriting....jpg
Some examples...
handwriting....jpg (44.3 KiB) Viewed 118 times
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:24 pm
KaatiieBugg says...

My handwriting is really weird... the style of my writing has changed a whole lot since 6th grade, when I HAD to write in cursive, and now it's a sort of combination of print and cursive. If I try really hard and concentrate on my writing, I can make it either cursive or print, but for the most part it stays kind of as both.
Writing: My Anti-Drug

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:17 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

They said it was because we would have to write everything in cursive in middle school and high school, which is a total lie.

Same with my school!

Anyway, here's my handwriting:
Attachments
handwriting.JPG
handwriting.JPG (9.33 KiB) Viewed 163 times

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:22 pm
Teague says...

A question, my friend from the States favours pencil, but the teachers hate you writing in pencil here. In the US do they prefer if you use pencil or pen?

Black ink is actually the standard for a lot of the advanced academics programmes we have -- International Baccalaureate and Advanced Placement come to mind. Maths teachers prefer pencil, and I do a lot of science work in pencil because of the maths it involves, but a lot of teachers prefer ink because it's easier for them to read.

And haha, that was actually a neat sample of my writing. xD My English notes last year were indecipherable, even to my mum, who had decades of experience reading doctor's handwriting.

-:pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

Reviews: 0
Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:34 pm
ldsprincess says...

KaatiieBugg wrote:My handwriting is really weird... the style of my writing has changed a whole lot since 6th grade, when I HAD to write in cursive, and now it's a sort of combination of print and cursive. If I try really hard and concentrate on my writing, I can make it either cursive or print, but for the most part it stays kind of as both.

same here, somethimes it looks kinda neat...others...
"She's got it out for me but I wear the biggest smile!"
-Misery Buisness by Paramore

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:57 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

Heh, my mom always yells at me for my handwriting, but I don't think it is all that bad. She doesn't like how I tend to slip into a strange form of cursive and then back out again. And my "ing" endings always look funny. But when I write cursive, you can't read it. I can't read it. It's just... bad.

Me lovies my G-2 gel pens. The best pens ever. *purrs* I was converted to pens last school year when none of the pencil sharpeners worked, so I was forced to pens out of necessity. But now I write with them out of choice in school.
I am reminded of the babe by you.

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:08 pm
Bittersweet says...

Wow, my cursive looks worse than I thought looking at it this way...
Attachments
Handwriting.jpg
Handwriting.jpg (33.64 KiB) Viewed 137 times
eviscerate your fragile frame
spill it out in ragged form
a thousand different versions of yourself.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:12 pm
Rydia says...

I've spent a lot of time writing in cursive actually as you Americans call it. In fact, I think people generally tend to write joined up over here as opposed to printing because it's so ingrained into your childhood and the teachers are always encouraging it. Or at least they were when I was in school.

Recently, however, I've developed quite a neat printing hand instead. My letters still end up joined in places but it's not completely cursive. It's sort of a mix. And it's small. My teachers used to complain I wrote too big so I started writing so small that mrs Forsey had to use a magnifying glass until she refused to mark a piece of my work and then I gave up and increased the size quite a bit.
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (24.23 KiB) Viewed 131 times
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:16 pm
romance otaku says...

"encourage" isnt exacatacly ( i wrote it like that on perpose) how i would descibe it. but, at least my grammar is gooder then mostly peoples ares. lol 8)
~Did I help you? If so, please take a second to sign my website's guestbook at http://joeduncko.com/guestbook/. When it gets 100 signs, I plan to release my newest short story! Thanks!

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:23 pm
Meshugenah says...

I think I have really bad handwriting, but Jennafina said it was good! So we'll go with what she said ^^

and I'll scan something in later, maybe (if I can figure out the scanner!)

And Heather! I love your handwriting! Ok, so I may be a bit biased since I saw it on that postcard you sent :P
Last edited by Meshugenah on Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:27 pm
piepiemann22 says...

I guess it depends for me. I can write neatly in both print and cursive, but it takes me a longer time to do so. Normally I stick with print, and I suppose it could be worse... I think.
I will always fight back, no matter what.

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:51 pm
Alice says...

I'm a lefty who curls her hand when she writes.

Apparently its gastly.
I just lost the game.

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:59 pm
romance otaku says...

GryphonFledgling wrote:Heh, my mom always yells at me for my handwriting, but I don't think it is all that bad. She doesn't like how I tend to slip into a strange form of cursive and then back out again. And my "ing" endings always look funny. But when I write cursive, you can't read it. I can't read it. It's just... bad.

Me lovies my G-2 gel pens. The best pens ever. *purrs* I was converted to pens last school year when none of the pencil sharpeners worked, so I was forced to pens out of necessity. But now I write with them out of choice in school.

**goes upstairs**

**runs back down**

i uses a pilot G-2 07 pen. they are very nice. funny, i found my first on the floor in school ^_^.
~Did I help you? If so, please take a second to sign my website's guestbook at http://joeduncko.com/guestbook/. When it gets 100 signs, I plan to release my newest short story! Thanks!

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:29 pm
unsterblichkeit36 says...

They would always tell us "use cursive now because you will need it next year. The next year, we only needed cursive during tests or spelling packets and the would say it's because we needed to uses it next year all of the time. And i was always like thats what they said last year. It happens every time.
-SaraRose

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:34 pm
Teague says...

Yeah, they told me since third grade I'd use joint-up the following year.

I'm a junior in high school now, and I still have yet to do an assignment in anything but print.

Joint-up is kind of useless, haha. It was developed originally because back in the day of quills, you couldn't pick up your pen like you can with print -- the ink would continue to flow whether you wanted it to or not. So they made all the letters join up. But yay for modern technology, that doesn't happen anymore. xD [/random useless fact courtesy of 7th period Spanish]

-:pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

I took a deep breath and listened to the old brag of my heart; I am, I am, I am.
— Sylvia Plath