z

Young Writers Society

Favourite movie quote.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:10 pm
Rei says...

The American Film Insitute just came out with its Top 100 movie quotes. Some of them are so embedded in North American culture that it's hard to find someone who doesn't know at least a variation of it, even if they don't know where its from.

The top ten are:

10: You talkin' to me. Taxi Driver
9: Fasten your seatbelts. It's gonna be a bumpy night. All About Eve
8: May the Force be with you. Star Wars
7: All right, Mr Demille, I'm ready for my close-up.
6: Go ahead, make my day. Sudden Impact.
5: Here's looking at you, Kid. Casablanca
4: Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore. The Wizard of OZ.
3: I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody. On the Waterfront.
2: I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse. The Godfather
1: Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn. Gone with the Wind.

Check out afi.com for the full list. Which ones do you like that are on the list, or didn't quite make it. What lines do you like that aren't there?

I like:

"You're gonna need a bigger boat" from Jaws and "One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know." Animal crackers.

As for the ones that didn't quite make it, I like:

"Insanity runs in my family. It practically gallops." from Arsenic and old lace and "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Others I love are:
"I can let you drown, but I can't bring the boat into Tortuga all by me onesies, savy."
"May I obey all your commands with equal pleasure, sir." from a Robin Hood movie in the 1930s, when King Richard give him Maid Marian's hand in marriage
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:30 pm
Sam says...

"I don't even think this is legal..."

Gotta love Eulogy. But it's a new one, so it probably isn't imbedded into American culture as of yet.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

685 Reviews

Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:36 pm
Rei says...

From Endless Waltz. Can't remember how it goes exactly, but this is close enough. "It wouldn't surprize me if one day he starts saying there's no air in outer space because he didn't try hard enough."

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:11 pm
Ego says...

"Me, I'm dishonest--and you can always trust a dishonest. Honestly, is the honesty ones you gotta watch out for. Because you never know when they're going to do something...stupid."
--Jack Sparrow, Pirates.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:34 pm
Crysi says...

Hey, you stole mine! :P

Continuing with that movie.. "I am disinclined to acquiese to your request. Means no."
Love and Light

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:36 pm
Ego says...

*rolls eyes*

obviously.

*points at Crysi's siggie*
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:37 pm
Crysi says...

Um... Yeah. *laughs*

I'm just glad "My Precious" got on the list.. Lol, apparently my great grandma used to call her grandchildren "my precious." And my cousin DOES look like Gollum..
Love and Light

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:15 pm
Writersdomain says...

The movie hasn't come out yet, but there was a quote I enjoyed from the Fantastic 4 trailer. It looks like an awesome movie

Lady: "Don't even think about it."
Torch dude: "Never do."
I liked that one because "Don't even think about it" is such a common saying and I liked the response
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

Reviews: 0
Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:24 pm
everyday_angel says...

I know that "Frankly my dear..." is the most famous line from "Gone With The Wind," and I do think it should be number one, but I love "I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' no babies!" just because it cracks me up every time I see it.

My favorite quotes:
"There's only one reason Christian girls come down to the Planned Parenthood."
"She's planting a pipe bomb?"
"Ok, two reasons." (Saved!)

"You may ask where all this tradition comes from. Well I'll tell you...I have no idea." (Fiddler on the Roof)

"They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say 'sh*t, it's rainin'!'" (Cold Mountain)

"So, if you're from Africa, why are you white?"
"You just can't ask people why they're white!" (Mean Girls)

"Of course he had a gun! This is Texas, everybody has a gun!"
"I don't have a gun. My ancestors were Quakers." (Miss Congeniality)

"Today I delivered a set of twins to 15 year old girl. And do you know what she said to me?"
"'I'm a crackwhore who should have made my sleazy boyfriend wear a condom'?"
"Close, but no. She said 'I should have listened to my father!'"
"She did not!"
"Well, that's what she would have said if she hadn't been so doped up." (10 Things I Hate About You)

"Don't ever let anyone make you feel like you don't deserve what you want." (also 10 Things)
Lend your voices only to sounds of freedom
No longer lend your strength to that which you wish to be free from
Fill your lives with love and bravery
And you shall lead a life uncommon

685 Reviews

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:34 pm
Rei says...

Forgot about that one, Crysi/Hunter. Gotta love that movie.

While this topic in primarily a tribute to the dialogue writer, there are some that really depend on the performace, like number fifty on the list, "Houston, we have a problem." Because that's what the real person said. The writer just used the line because it had historical significance. It was Tom Hanks who made it a great movie line.

Another one is Sam's delivery of the line, "There's some good in this world, and it's worth fighting for."

One quote that I consider a piece of utter genius is from X-Men.

Wolverine: Hey, it's me.
Cyclops: Prove it.
Wolverine: You're a dick.
Cyclopse: Okay.

Two others I like that didn't quite make the list are "It's good to be the king," from The History of the world Part 1 and "Life finds a way," from Jurassic Park.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:38 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

I'm a sucker for quotes esp movie ones since I'm quite the movie buff, there are a ton I like so here's a few, I might post some more later...once I get it up I'll post the site where I've uploaded all my favorite quotes.

Frank: Any ideas little brother?
[Jesse smiles before running off]
Frank: Oh, Lord.
[Jesse grabs a stick of dynamites and runs off]
Cole and Frank: Oh, Lord.
- American Outlaws

Alan Pinkerton: Looks like you messed with the wrong bunch of farm boys this time.
- American Outlaws

Alan Pinkerton: If he lays a finger on one of your guns, you are all - and I mean ALL - dead men.
Man: He's chained up!
Alan Pinkerton: I'll put that on your tombstone.
- American Outlaws

[Marion is being kidnapped]
Marion: You can't do this to me, I'm an AMERICAN.
- Indiana Jones: The Raiders of the Lost Ark

Indiana: There's a big snake in the plane, Jock.
Jock: Oh, that's just my pet snake Reggie.
Indiana: I hate snakes, Jock. I hate 'em.
Jock: C'mon, show a little backbone, will ya?

Indiana: Meet me at Omar's. Be ready for me. I'm going after that truck.
Sallah: How?
Indiana: I don't know, I'm making this up as I go.

Belloq: Please, sit down before you fall down.

Indiana: The Ark of the Covenant, the chest that the Hebrews used to carry around the Ten Commandments.
Major Eaton: What, you mean THE Ten Commandments?
Indiana: Yes, the actual Ten Commandments, the original stone tablets that Moses brought down from Mt. Ararat and smashed, if you believe in that sort of thing...
[the officers stare at him blankly]
Indiana: Didn't any of you guys ever go to Sunday school?

Indiana Jones: Are you trying to develop a sense of humor or am I going deaf?
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Guest at dinner: Ah! Dessert... .Chilled Monkey-Brains!

Willie: I hate the water... and I hate being wet... and I hate you!

Professor Henry Jones: They're trying to kill us.
Indiana Jones: I know, Dad.
Professor Henry Jones: This is a new experience for me.
Indiana Jones: It happens to me all the time.
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

[after commandeering a plane]
Professor Henry Jones: I didn't know you could fly a plane.
Indiana Jones: Fly, yes. Land, no.

Sallah: Please, what does it always mean, this... this "Junior"?
Professor Henry Jones: That's his name.
[points to himself]
Professor Henry Jones: Henry Jones...
[points to Indy]
Professor Henry Jones: ... Junior.
Indiana Jones: I like "Indiana."
Professor Henry Jones: We named the *dog* Indiana.
Marcus Brody: May we go home now, please?
Sallah: The dog? You are named after the dog?
Indiana Jones: I've got a lot of fond memories of that dog.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for sega!
- Mallrats

[a grenade lands at his feet]
Dwight: And everything seemed to be going so well.
- Sin City

John Hartigan: And after I pull off that miracle, maybe I'll go punch out God.
- Sin City

Marv: [at his own execution] Would you hurry it up? I haven't got all night.
- Sin City

Marv: I know it's pretty damn weird to eat people.
- Sin City

Dwight: She doesn't quite chop his head off. She makes a Pez dispenser out of him.
- Sin City

Dwight: Miho. You're an angel. You're a saint. You're Mother Teresa. You're Elvis. You're God. And if you'd gotten here about ten minutes sooner, we'd still have Jackie-Boy's head.
- Sin City

John Hartigan: When it comes to consoling 19-year-old girls, I'm about as expert as a palsy patient performing brain surgery with a pipe wrench.
- Sin City

[Marv's last line]
Marv: Is that the best you can do, you pansies?
- Sin City

Klump: I can only express puzzlement, which borders on alarm.
- Sin City

Dwight: It's time to prove to your friends that you're worth a damn. Sometimes that means dying, sometimes it means killing a whole lot of people.
- Sin City

Bartleby: We're going home.
[Loki stares at him]
Bartleby: Quit leering at me man, people are gonna think I just broke up with you.
- Dogma

Metatron: [Describing why God doesn't talk to people directly] Were you to hear God's true voice, your mind would cave in and your heart would explode inside your chest. We went through five Adams before we figured that one out.
- Dogma

Azrael: Human, have you ever been to Hell? I think not. You know once Hell was nothing more than the absence of God. And if you had ever been in his presence, you would know that's punishment enough. But then, your kind came along, and made it SO MUCH WORSE.
Bethany: Human beings aren't capable of 1/100 the evil a shitbag demon like you is.
[spits on him]
Azrael: Evil is an ABSTRACT! It's a HUMAN construct! But true to his irresponsible nature, Man won't own up to being it's engineer. So he chooses to blame his dark deeds on my ilk. But his selfishness is limitless. It wasn't enough just to shadow his own existence, he turned Hell into a SUFFERING PIT! Fire, wailing, darnkess! The kind of place ANYONE would do ANYTHING to get out of! And why? Because he lacks the ability to forgive himself! It is beyond your comprehension to do simple recompense for the sins you commit. No, you choose instead to invent a psycho-drama and dwell in foundless belief that God could never forgive your grievous offenses. So you bring your guilt and your inner decay with you to Hell where the hoards of thousands of gluttons for punishment infect the abyss since the first one of your kind arrived generations ago, begging to be punished. In doing so, he transformed Hell from cold and solitude to PAIN and MISERY! I've spent eons, privy to the flames, inhaling the decay, hearing the wail of the damned. I KNOW WHAT AFFECT such horrors have on the delicate psyche of an angelic being!
- Dogma

Nun: You don't believe in God because of Alice in Wonderland?
Loki: No, "Through the Looking Glass". That poem, "The Walrus and the Carpenter" that's an indictment of organized religion. The walrus, with his girth and his good nature, he obviously represents either Buddha, or... or with his tusk, the Hindu elephant god, Lord Ganesha. That takes care of your Eastern religions. Now the carpenter, which is an obvious reference to Jesus Christ, who was raised a carpenter's son, he represents the Western religions. Now in the poem, what do they do... what do they do? They... They dupe all these oysters into following them and then proceed to shuck and devour the helpless creatures en masse. I don't know what that says to you, but to me it says that following these faiths based on mythological figures ensure the destruction of one's inner-being. Organized religion destroys who we are by inhibiting our actions... by inhibiting our decisions, out of... out of fear of some... some intangible parent figure who... who shakes a finger at us from thousands of years ago and says... and says, "Do it - Do it and I'll f**kin' spank you. "
- Dogma

Jay: I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that f**ked-up bar.
- Dogma

Loki: The last four days on Earth. If I had a dick, I'd go get laid. But we can do that next best thing.
Bartleby: What's that?
Loki: Let's kill people.
[Lady next to Loki spits out her coffee]
Loki: [to lady] Oh, not you.
- Dogma

Jay: The whole fucking world's against us, dude, I swear to God.
- Dogma

Serendipity: When are you people going to learn? It's not about who's right or wrong. No denomination's nailed it yet, and they never will because they're all too self-righteous to realize that it doesn't matter what you have faith in, just that you have faith. Your hearts are in the right place, but your brains need to wake up.
- Dogma

[about Christ]
Rufus: What He really hates is the shit that gets carried out in his name. Wars. Bigotry. Televangelism.
- Dogma

Bartleby: You know, here's what I don't get about you. You know for a fact that there is a God. You have been in his presence. He's spoken to you personally, and yet I just heard you claim to be an atheist.
Loki: I just like to f**k with the clergy, man. I just love it. I just love to keep those guys on their toes.
- Dogma

Bartleby: You know, here's what I don't get about you. You know for a fact that there is a God. You have been in his presence. He's spoken to you personally, and yet I just heard you claim to be an atheist.
Loki: I just like to fuck with the clergy, man. I just love it. I just love to keep those guys on their toes.
- Dogma

Loki: Never let it be said that your anal-retentive attention to detail never yielded positive results.
Bartleby: You can't be anal-retentive if you don't have an anus.
Loki: Outstanding work.
- Dogma

Liz: He said that faith is like a glass of water. When you're young, the glass is small, and it's easy to fill up. But the older you get, the bigger the glass gets, and the same amount of liquid doesn't fill it anymore. Periodically, the glass has to be refilled.
- Dogma

Metatron: Metatron acts as the voice of God. Any documented occasion when some yahoo claims God has spoken to them, they're speaking to me. Or they're talking to themselves.
- Dogma

Metatron: So once he's done with the firstborn, Loki takes his friend Bartleby out for a post-slaughter drink. And over many rounds, they get into this discussion about whether or not murder in the name of God is okay. Now, Bartleby can run circles around Loki intellectually, not to mention that Loki's already half in the bag. And in the end, Bartleby convinces Loki to quit his position and take a lesser one that doesn't involve slaughter. So - very inebriated - Loki tells God he quits, throws down his fiery sword, and gives Him the finger. Which ruins it for the rest of us, because from that day forward, God decreed that all angels could no longer imbibe alcohol. Hence all the spitting.
- Dogma

Rufus: White folks only want to hear the good shit: life eternal, a place in God's Heaven. But as soon as they hear they're getting this good shit from a black Jesus, they freak. And that, my friends, is called hypocrisy. A black man can steal your stereo, but he can't be your Savior.
- Dogma

Serendipity: Read the Bible again sometime. Women are painted as bigger antagonists than the Egyptians and Romans combined. It stinks.
- Dogma

Bethany: You're saying that having beliefs is a bad thing?
Rufus: I think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea. Changing a belief is trickier.
- Dogma

Bethany: Jesus didn't have any brothers or sisters. Mary was a virgin.
Rufus: Mary gave birth to CHRIST without having known a man's touch, that's true. But she did have a husband. And do you really think he'd have stayed married to her all those years if he wasn't getting laid? The nature of God and the Virgin Mary, those are leaps of faith. But to believe a married couple never got down? Well, that's just plain gullibility.
- Dogma

Rufus: So what do we do now?
Metatron: Well, I say we get drunk, because I'm all out of ideas.
- Dogma

Metatron: Good Lord, the little stoner's got a point.
- Dogma

Azrael: Oh no, I've seen way too many Bond movies to know that you never reveal all the details of your plan, no matter how close you may think you are to winning.
- Dogma

Gun Salesman: We call this piece the Fecalator. One look at it and the target shits him or herself. Try it on.
Loki: Well, it's a lot more compact than the flaming sword, but it's not nearly as impressive. Just doesn't have that Wrath-of-the-Almighty edge to it. I mean, come on, how am I supposed to strike fear into the hearts of the wicked with this thing? Look at this...
Bartleby: Well, then, you know, don't use a gun. Just lay the place to waste, like.
Loki: Easy for you to say. You get off light in razing. You got to stand there and read at Sodom and Gomorrah, I had to do all the work.
Bartleby: What work did you do? You lit a few fires.
Loki: I rained down sulphur, man, there's a subtle difference.
Bartleby: Oh, yeah, I'm sure.
Loki: Hey, you know, fuck you, man. Any moron with a pack of matches can set a fire. Raining down sulphur is like an endurance trial man. Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer.
- Dogma

Azrael: No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air.
- Dogma

Bethany: What are you?
Metatron: I'm pissed off is what I am! Do you go around drenching everyone who comes into your room with flame-retardant chemicals? No wonder you're single.
- Dogma

[about the protesters outside the Abortion Clinic]
Liz: You're Catholic, can't you talk to them?
Bethany: They hate me more than you. At least you have an excuse, you're Jewish, you don't know any better.
Liz: I don't think they'd accept that one, we used that one already when we killed Christ.
- Dogma

Hospital P. A.: I repeat, this is not a drill. This is the apocalypse. Please exit the hospital in an orderly fashion. Thank you.
- Dogma

and one of my all time favorites...

All life's riddles are answered in the movies.
- Grand Canyon
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:45 pm
Elizabeth says...

Favorite Movie Quote?
From SPACEBALLS (the parody of Star Wars):

Dark Helmet (Parody of Darth Vador): Lone Star (Tbhe Parody of the hero Skywalker person) I am your father...'s brothers nephews uncles former roomate.

Lone Star: And what does that make us?

Dark Helmet: Absolutely nothing.

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:46 pm
electricbluemonkey says...

These next quotes all deserve to be #1:

5. "A cinderella story...former greenskeeper here at Augusta...making it to the majors."- Caddyshack

4. "SHOW ME THE MONEY!"- Jerry McGuire

3. "Soydent Green is people!"- Soydent Green

2. "Remember...evil always wins, because good is dumb."- Spaceballs

And...my favorite movie quote of ALL time (its also a tv show quote and a novel quote):

1. "Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop that!"- Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:47 pm
Duskglimmer says...

From the Pacifier: "We're doing this MY way... no highway option."

From Mr. And Mrs. Smith: "Why do I get the girl gun?"
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:51 pm
little x soldier says...

my siggy!

Why do we fall? To pick ourselves up - Batman begins
~xS;o:L;d:I;e:Rx~

"You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it."
— We Bought A Zoo