z

Young Writers Society

2008 Beijing Olympics

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:27 am
Nate says...

Anyone catch the opening ceremony? It was really impressive, and I urge you to check it out on youtube! During the day, I still think the stadium is as ugly as a bird's nest, but they made it look pretty cool with all the pyrotechnics. Plus, all the choreography was awesome.

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:29 am
alwaysawriter says...

I watched it. Not all of it, since I was at my friend's party, but the majority of it. I loved how that little kid got to walk beside the huge basketball star. :)
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:36 am
Archstormangel says...

It was gorgeous. I loved the entire torch thing. And the running on the walls was cool.
And the fireworks were amazing.
China sure knows how to put on a show ^^,
I'm
an Atheist, a young teen girl, someone who loves Harry Potter and hates Twilight, someone who doesn't see deepness in everything, a person who has never suffered from any diseases of any sort.
I'm average, but...

I'm still a writer.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:40 am
Emerson says...

That was an amazing opening ceremony. This is the first year I'm really paying attention. The parade of countries was awesome, although the lighting of the torch was the best part. And wasn't the little Chinese earthquake survivor the cutest kid alive?

Go Poland! (And USA...)
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:53 am
Archstormangel says...

He was adorable. :3
I only came in when the chinese were making their entrance.

Tall chinese dude = OMG.

...It's like, an oxymoron!

No offense to anyone. :P
I'm
an Atheist, a young teen girl, someone who loves Harry Potter and hates Twilight, someone who doesn't see deepness in everything, a person who has never suffered from any diseases of any sort.
I'm average, but...

I'm still a writer.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:21 am
pegasi_quill says...

Suzanne, seconded; go Poland! ;)

The opening ceremony really was great. The fireworks were amazing, the parades... it was all spectacular.
~Memory is a child walking along a seashore. You can never tell what small pebble it will pick up and store away among its treasured things~

Away until August 31st (possibly longer)

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:16 pm
Layleun says...

No words could describe that =P I watched all of it and was in awe every second.

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:18 pm
Firestar says...

It was Awesome!!!
Admiration: Our polite recognition of another's resemblance to ourselves.

Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Confidence: the feeling a person has before he fully understands the situation.

Shin: A device for finding furniture in the dark.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:20 pm
Emerson says...

Does anyone know how to figure out when to watch certain events? I really want to watch Nadal play... But I have no idea when they actually air things. It's so perplexing.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:21 pm
gamechanger10 says...

The fireworks sort of annoyed me. It's not like that's helping their air quality much.

Other than that, it was cool.
"The difference between the right word and almost the right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." -Mark Twain

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:23 pm
Squall says...

Yeah the opening was really good. I was playing an MMORPG when it was on and I found myself focusing much more on the tv than the game (and I'm a gamer too) lol.
"To the edge of the universe and back. Endure and survive."

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:08 pm
Reason Invalid says...

The opening ceremony was indeed amazing. :D But I probably won't watch the games though, not too huge of a fan for sports. D:
It is only when dissonance plays one will find pleasure in consonance.
topic34094.html <-- Free Reviews

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:53 pm
Teague says...

Suzanne wrote:Does anyone know how to figure out when to watch certain events? I really want to watch Nadal play... But I have no idea when they actually air things. It's so perplexing.

Uhm, check www.nbc.com because they're spiffy with their Olympics gook.

I caught the end of the opening ceremonies. >.< I'll have to find and watch what I missed, because what I did see was spectacular.

-:pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:09 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Suzanne wrote:Does anyone know how to figure out when to watch certain events? I really want to watch Nadal play... But I have no idea when they actually air things. It's so perplexing.

There's an event calendar on the Games' Wiki page, if that helps.

I saw everything except the torch-lighting - had to leave before then. I made a point of watching the Parade of Nations until Great Britain got in, but OMG it was long! I had to sit through 114 countries (half of which I'd never heard of, and who only had about two or three athletes in the competition) before Team GB entered - I didn't envy you Australians!

I'm just looking forward to the actual Games, now. Two weeks of Olympics Olympics Olympics!

Oh, and the Closing Ceremony, with the Beijing-London handover :D
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:09 am
View Likes
Caligula's Launderette says...

I gleed over the opening with Sam last night. It was amazing, I loved the type-block things and the lighting of the torch was especially spiffy.

The little boy with Yao Ming at the end of the parade of nations was adorable, too.

You can watch a total reply of the opening, by the way, on NBC's website.

Suze,

Saint is right. You can go on www.nbc.com and it has all sorts of videos, and if it's after the event you can go to results and standings and you can watch to your hearts delight.

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.
— Chinese proverb