z

Young Writers Society

How have you changed since you joined YWS?

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:14 am
alwaysawriter says...

When I first came here, I saw the chat and instantly wanted in. I did my reviews, although it felt like it took forever, and joined chat. I got bored and started asking for more things to review and after some of reviews, I actually started to like it. I rememeber wandering around in amazement, looking at how many posts people had and I wanted to be like them. I'm glad that I'm not that chat-loving, review-hating person anymore. I love reviewing now and I spend time online being productive, instead of just playing games.
How have you changed since you joined YWS or have you not changed?
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:52 am
Rydia says...

I've changed in quite a lot of ways, most not because of YWS but I'd like to think that the site has improved my writing skills quite a lot and certainly given me a chance to develop stronger editing and critiquing skills. It's also nice to have a group of people who I can actually be open with. I'd never had a blog before and it's been quite an experience.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:55 pm
Clo says...

I've only been here a month and a half, but I already feel like my writing has improved. From reviewing works and reading reviews on my own, I just am better at analyzing, brainstorming and thinking in a "writer kind of way" if that makes sense. I feel like I have a better sense of the elements of story telling.

Joining this site was one of the smartest things I've done when it comes to my hobbies/passions. It's so constructive and good for a growing writer!
How am I not myself?

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:57 pm
Teague says...

Put simply: I'm less of an idiot.

^_______^

-:pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:20 pm
Twit says...

Really, Saint?

Oh.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:27 pm
Teague says...

*smites Twit*

-:pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:59 pm
Emerson says...

I have learned so much. My writing has improved in so many ways; I'm still amazed at myself. I came here a bit of bumbling idiot, though I had some experience with other writing forums, but YWS was the one to give me the most help, and my work has improved so much for it.

I also lost whatever social life I had before YWS. :P Half a joke. My social life has grown in some ways. I've made so many amazing friends here that I know I will keep for my whole life. And it's not like I'm a social person anyway - so what social life was there to loose?

I've also had so much fun helping other writers. I think more than anything, YWS helped me mature as a writer, a person, and a teacher.

I don't think I would ever be this good at writing, in a million years (oh! Cliché, ew) if it hadn't been for YWS. Thank you Writers Digest!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:30 pm
Ross says...

Before Young Writers Society, I didn't really know HOW to finish a story. I had no idea what to do with my writings. So, I started reviewing and slowly, I began to grow in my writing life.

I finally completed some short stories and I took a brave stab at gay romance, which ultimately I finished! :wink: I think I've really treasured YWS because of the critiques people give me and how they greet me in the late chat room.

Three cheers for Nate!
And we'll be a dream...

"Dee Dubbleyou." - BigBadBear

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:03 am
chocoholic says...

Before I joined, I'd always known I was a writer, but I didn't realise that I wasn't a very good one until people here kindly pointed out to me that my writing, to put it nicely, sucked. Since then, I can honestly say that I've grown to become a much better writer than I ever thought possible.

I've also tried different things since joined. I attempted (and failed) to write a fantasy novel, but I doubt that I would have begun writing lyrics if it weren't for YWS.

It's also great to have a place where I can talk to people about things like Doctor Who, without having people stare at me as if I were crazy. It seems the only ones who share my obsession live on the other side of the planet...

So yeah, since joined my writing has improved dramatically, and I've also been encouraged to try a lot of different styles, as well as making a bunch of new friends.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:17 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

I changed in that I found that it was okay to share my writing and that there are people out there who actually care about writing and want to help others write better. I was part of another writer's group that let people review, but the reviews were mostly drivel like "OMG I love this story! Update soon, okay!?" and let's not go into how many variations you can come up with of just that. There are some atrocious spellers on the internet, let me tell you. Those exaggerated versions you see when people are trying to be funny? They aren't exaggerations.

So I sort of drifted away from that, and didn't really share my writing. Then I found this place and looked around and so tentatively posted something. The response was incredible! In this other writing website, you were lucky if you got reviewed within the same week, but here I got reviewed within the same hour! And it was constructive and all that jazz! It was so wonderful!

I guess I've become a bit more confident as a writer since joining YWS. I feel a bit better about posting stuff and I've tried out some things that I never had before. Not to mention that my blog is so far the longest running blog I have ever maintained at one time! (Not that it's been around all that long, but it's a milestone for me!)

Also, I've begun to read everything more as a writer and I think my reviews have gotten better. When I read other books and pieces, even outside of YWS, I've been analyzing them and picking out what's good and what's not.

A heartfelt thank you to Nate for coming up with this great site! I seriously consider it one of the highlights of my young life!

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact.
— William James