Young Writers Society

Best book you ever read

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:47 pm
Maybe says...

clograbby wrote:
The Named and The Dark by Marianne Curley

Whoa, Maybe! FLASHBACK! You read these? Somebody else in the world read these? XD

Me and my friends were so into her books four (or was it five?) years ago. Did you read The Key? The final book? Or Old Magic? Personally, I thought Marianne Curley's Old Magic was better than her Guardians of Time trilogy!

Never did get to The Key (I keep forgetting to look for it in the library) but I read the first two and loved them! I never read Old Magic either. I need to find the last one...
Be the cartoon heart. Light a fire, light a spark. Light a fire, flame in my heart. We'll run wild, we'll be glowing in the dark.

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:41 pm
alwaysawriter says...

Rules of the Road by Joan Bauer
The Giver by Louis Lowrey
Some old books by Beverly Cleary.
I know there's more but I can't think of the rest of them. :)
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:43 pm
Ross says...

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee, period.
And we'll be a dream...

"Dee Dubbleyou." - BigBadBear

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:57 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

Maybe wrote:
clograbby wrote:
The Named and The Dark by Marianne Curley

Whoa, Maybe! FLASHBACK! You read these? Somebody else in the world read these? XD

Me and my friends were so into her books four (or was it five?) years ago. Did you read The Key? The final book? Or Old Magic? Personally, I thought Marianne Curley's Old Magic was better than her Guardians of Time trilogy!

Never did get to The Key (I keep forgetting to look for it in the library) but I read the first two and loved them! I never read Old Magic either. I need to find the last one...

I own all three. :D The Named was definitely my favorite...the Key was my least favorite. It ended so QUICKLY.

As for really good books...that changes from month to month. But some of my favorites are The Chronicles of Narnia, A Wrinkle in Time, That Hideous Strength and Out of the Silent Planet, The Host, The Circle Trilogy, and To Kill A Mockingbird.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:56 pm
Emerson says...

Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer. Talk about crazy and amazing and lots of laughing and crying. It's one of the most beautiful things not written a long, long time ago.

The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky. Simply is one of my favorites. I can't help but like it; it's too human.

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. This book made me cry. (so did EII) Therefore, it is one of the best.

The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka. Morbid, bizarre, and full of emotions. What more could one want in 60 pages?

My Antonia by Willa Cather. I cried while reading this, too, but I cried because it was so beautiful. There is something in this book for everyone, I believe.

Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh. It makes me giggle.

I know there are others, but almost everything I read becomes my favorite. It has to be really horrible for me not to like it. As for nonfiction? Night by Elie Wiesel, Phantoms in the Brain by V.S. Ramachandrin, and When you Catch an Adjective, Kill it: The Parts of Speech for Better or for Worse by Ben Yagoda.

Again, I love almost everything I read, so making me write down my favorites is hard.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:18 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Le dredge! Can't believe I didn't notice this one sooner. :D

This is a toughie.

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I debated the rest of his Enderverse books, but EG is just the solid best. *Sorry, Bean. <3*
The Pushcart War by Jean Merrill. Yeah, it's not totally epic like the above two, but it's just so lovely... :3
Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud, omglove. XD
The Body of Christopher Creed by Carol Plum-Ucci.
Holes by Louis Sachar.
The Diary of a Young Girl by Otto H. Frank. I'm shocked Anne Frank hasn't been brought up yet.
Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin, probably the scariest book I've ever read.
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes.

This list was after serious editing. :*flails*: I read too much.
ohmeohmy

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:18 am
Stori says...

My favorite books... You asked for it.

Auralia's Colors by Jeffery Overstreet. Excellent description and narrative.

Inkheart. Surely it needs no explanation.

Airborn by Kenneth Oppel. I love the idea.

That's about it. I could go on, but no.
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

Reviews: 2
Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:17 pm
JudeQuinn says...

Hmmm tough one but maybe Brighton Rock by Graham Greene.
No in fact I've changed my mind already. Trillby by George Du Maurier
But I'm also partial to Bob Dylan's Chronicles Vol1 and Tarantula

Reviews: 2
Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:30 am
lady lazarus says...

Lo. Lee. Ta.

my dear Vladimir
They call it night,
they call it night,
and I call it mine.

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:39 am
Archstormangel says...

Harry Potter and the Order of The Pheonix by J.K. Rowling ;D

But recently, I read this one good book, recently - I don't remember the author - but it was called Grand and Humble.
I'm
an Atheist, a young teen girl, someone who loves Harry Potter and hates Twilight, someone who doesn't see deepness in everything, a person who has never suffered from any diseases of any sort.
I'm average, but...

I'm still a writer.

Reviews: 0
Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:23 pm
StrangeNerd says...

I love Alice In Wonderland, haha. It may have a silly ending but it's so vivid and odd.
I read Flowers for Algernon in class and I loved it too!! It made me cry, but I am a soppy soul. :cry:
If you're reading this, then you will have realised that I have a rubbish sig.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:31 am
Sakah says...

Mind you, I haven't read a thousand billion books like most of you have, but these are the best (my personal definition of best) books I've read

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (She pretty much introduced me to romance & vampire fiction, but not always in the same order.)

The Book Thief by *I forgot* (Brriiillliiaaanntt explanation of Poland during Hitler's reign.)

The Shining by Stephen King *shakes head* (Brilliant, brilliant, creative man. How does he do it?)

Harry Potter by Jo Rowling (Deathly Hallows was such a good ending book!)

Romeo + Juliet by Shakespeare (Once there are footnotes that help you understand what the charries are saying, it's actually fun to read!)
Music is like candy, you have to throw away the wrappers ^-^

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." — Confucius

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:05 pm
Icaruss says...

Reading Trainspotting, by Irvine Welsh, was like getting kicked in the head. Everything that I read before it seemed irrelevant. Such a fantastic book. Changed the type of books I wanted to read, changed the way I wanted to write.

La Ciudad y los Perros, by Mario Vargas Llosa, however, is my favourite book. Also Watchmen, by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. It's a comicbook, but can kick the hell out of any novel you show me. Glue, by Irvine Welsh, is also another masterpiece, and maybe even better than Trainspotting.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:28 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

ERAGON!

Just kidding!

Anyway, I really like The Shadow Theives, by Anne Ursu

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:45 am
Sean says...

Lord of the Rings.

I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities.
— Dr. Seuss