33%
No.
10%

Total votes : 30

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:41 am
Alice says...

Okay so Bella and I were reminising about our first year on YWS, how awesome it was and how...different it seems now.

So we were wondering if anybody else thought it had changed or if we had just suffered some brain-damage. (Or that we had but it just wasn't effecting us here.)
I just lost the game.

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:45 am
BigBadBear says...

It has changed - and it started with the chat being taken down. I'm so freaking sick of people complaining that Nate's been a jerkface for tearing it down. He hasn't. he's trying to keep us safe. Now everyone is leaving.

Oh well. Sucks for them.

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:54 am
JFW1415 says...

It has, but then again, it has before. We'll adjust. Change is awful in real life, too, but I think this change will be better for us. For now, we just need to sit tight. Those who loved the community but weren't interested in writing better are leaving in a flood right now. Once they're gone, we can focus on what YWS is really about. Sure, we won't have the same community feel, but we're not going to lose it altogether.

Actually, I like this a bit better. I was getting too close to people - they were feeling too real to me. And it scared me. Now I can still be friends with them, still work alongside them, but they won't be closer to me than my real friends.

I'm not answering that poll. I think it's changed, but I don't think for the better or worse. It's just changed. It will still be the amazing YWS we all love, but in a different way.

~JFW1415

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:59 am
Bella says...

I think it's changed too, but I think it's been gradually changing, and it wasn't just the chat.

It seemed like as the newer members came in, and the older members stopped showing up, there weren't enough members willing to help the newbies, and because of that a lot of rules stopped being put into action so well. And from there it all went downhill.

The chat thing just gave everyone something to complain about. Yeah, it does suck that the chat is gone. And yeah, I'm sure we'll all miss it greatly, but there's no use in complaining about it.

I do think, however, the biggest deal with the chat, was that it made us all realize how much control Nate really does have. I think that scares some people into acting irrationally. I mean, if he can take away the chat because it isn't moderated well enough, who's to say he can't take away the PM system because it isn't moderated? People begin to think like that, they overreact, and they become irrational.

...I just forgot what else I wanted to say.

<3

Bella Bambina
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart) <3

Please review my performance poem?

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:59 am
Sam says...

I've been here since 2004, and it doesn't feel all that different to me. XD Just a lot bigger.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:05 am
Firearris says...

BigBadBear wrote:It has changed - and it started with the chat being taken down.

Neh, not really. It started awhile before that, in my opinion. Yes, YWS has changed, I know some of the reasons people are leaving, and I understand the reasons. I haven't took enough thought to it to answer the poll, maybe I'll vote later.

I was getting too close to people - they were feeling too real to me. And it scared me. Now I can still be friends with them, still work alongside them, but they won't be closer to me than my real friends.

I feel the same with that part. :)
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard appears "We have weasels now!"
[Firearris] 10:45 pm: askes the guard for the weasel!
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard gives Firearris the Weasel.
[Firearris] 10:46 pm: aquires the weasel and renames it "Cat"

Take that, Lumi.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:18 am
Emerson says...

I think what you guys (and everyone?) should realize is that the internet, and YWS, isn't static. When I joined YWS there were certain members more active than others, people I now consider to be my YWS, and they're hardly here - because there are new members, and the old are in college, and they're busy. New people will always be coming, and old, friendly faces will always be leaving, or coming less. For example, depending on how things go, I may disappear a great deal from YWS this school year. This will be weird for me, and possibly for members.

It's strange, and it can be a bit hard to comprehend and accept, but it's normal. You have to think, as well: you thought differently when you first joined than how you think now, about YWS. You know more things, you know more people. Not only have the people changed - but you've changed. You aren't a new member anymore, so obviously you view things differently.

It's just normal. :D And, haha, I think Sam is right too. She's been here for, like, decades. (or not) and what's changed? Minor things. It's still a site about writing! I think the only change we have to fear is if Nate decides that grammar [s]iz unimported[/s] is unimportant.

Corrected by Nate
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:33 am
Clo says...

A newbie's opinion, which I suppose can be disregarded.

I do think, however, the biggest deal with the chat, was that it made us all realize how much control Nate really does have. I think that scares some people into acting irrationally. I mean, if he can take away the chat because it isn't moderated well enough, who's to say he can't take away the PM system because it isn't moderated? People begin to think like that, they overreact, and they become irrational.

I am very confused by people who reacted based off this idea. This isn't like a little country. Nate thought up this site and created, he's the brain behind it, this is his flourishing brainchild. He can do what he wants. Do people not understand how the internet works? It's not the real world. Which is why weird stuff can happen on it, being its own surreal sort of thing.

Anyway, back on topic. Change is constant in every aspect of life. It's one of the only things that's constant. Everything around us is constantly changing, and we change as well. What everyone needs to do is accept this, being a component of real life, and be optimistic. Change isn't bad. It just happens, even when we're not paying attention.

Life is a lot easier when you react realistically to change.
How am I not myself?

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:35 am
Alteran says...

*gigglesnorts at irony*

I'm with Sam, it feels the same now as it did when I first joined, just bigger. Of course, I do tend to miss the important stuff. *looks at name* Huh...when did that happen. :p
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:40 am
Meshugenah says...

I wantz teh noteboard theme! Minez *hugscowers*

No, it hasn't changed at all. Just gotten bigger and me older and me less delusional about my own prowess in writing and otherwise (though I'm still nice and loony).
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:45 am
gyrfalcon says...

Not only have the people changed - but you've changed.

I really agree with this. It makes me sad that some people are leaving, and others are freaking out, but I don't fear for YWS--it's bigger than any one of us, and in it's own way more important. So long as even some of us need it, I think it'll be here. I know it's helped me immensely, and I think that, while in some ways it has changed, it's changed for the better.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:01 am
Lindsaroo says...

I think it's stayed the same for a while, but since the chat was taken down, I think it's changed and for the better. Everyone who just sat around just to chat aren't around, and everyone who stayed are the real members of YWS. They're staying for the writing and for the friends and the critiques and I think it's for the better. Taking away chat just weeded out all the people who weren't here for the writing, it feels more like YWS now then it did before. ...all my opinion of course :D

-Lindsay
"After it happened I thought that I'd just try to live as normally as possible and bury it, but things like that don't stay buried. I didn't think it would, but it taints your whole life."

"My desires were bestial, obviously." -Jeffery Dahmer.

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:20 am
Bella says...

Hmm...

You all have a lot of good points.

*nods and smiles*

I kinda partially wish I could change my vote now, but I'm not sure yet.
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart) <3

Please review my performance poem?

154 Reviews

Reviews: 154
Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:33 am
Armadian says...

I have been here since 2005 and it seems the same.
How can you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist...

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:51 am
Griffinkeeper says...

YWS doesn't really change all that much. True, there is new coding to a lot of stuff, some extra features and some removed features.

However, YWS hasn't really deviated from it's main goal.

I think it is more likely that the people on the site change all the time. People grow up, drift away from writing. People go to school, work, or disappear.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.
— Romans 9:25