z

Young Writers Society

Furby!

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:32 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Remember this?

When I was going through one of my periodic moments of reminiscing, I suddenly found myself reminiscing a random reminiscence about Furbies. So I wondered who else had one? Do you remember how they were the "must-have" toy of their day, of how they came in so many different colours, and (most memorably) how they were so unbelievably annoying, and had no off switch?

So, who else [s]hated[/s] [s]loved[/s] tolerated their Furby? Discuss!
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:40 pm
Alainna says...

Oh......my.......god.

:shock:

I sometimes wonder what levels of boredom you must be experiencing to bring up things like that. Those things were pure evil; if you didn't have one, you were weird, if you had one.....you would end up wanting to stab it. Thing is, after a while the little ones started to come free with stuff like 'Happy Meals' at McDonald's.

Anyways, I'm leaving this thread as the picture alone is freaking me out. (They remind me of Gremlins, which I have an insane fear of...)

Alainna
xxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:47 pm
Blink says...

:( Oh my...

I agree with Alainna... toys from Hell. I still have mine. Blue...

Once, I dreamt it was chasing me... coming for me. Those creepy eyes! Evil furby:

It was one of those moments that you just want to find the creators, shove the furbies down their throats and make them regret ever thinking about them. I vaguely remember begging my parents for one, the begging them to take it back.
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:49 pm
ProfessorRabbit says...

I remember when they came out with those adorable little baby ones. I bet my parents regret ever getting us a single one of these creatures. I think we wound up with an average of two or three per child, for a total of at least 12 furbies.

( And two Ooglies. 'Member those? )
Frylock, please, no books! I can't read; I'm not a loser!
-Master Shake

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:30 pm
chocoholic says...

I used to beg and beg my parents for a furby because all my friends had them and they were so cool. Eventually I got one for a buck at some market and about three nights later I think I managed to break it. I couldn't sleep with it on, I had to take out the batteries.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:14 pm
Autumn says...

Furbies! xD I loved them when I was a kid.. Begged my parents for ages to let me have one, and ended up having 2 of the normal ones and two of the baby ones..

I remember in like year 5, I took my furby to school for show and tell, and I was showing the class everything it could do and stuff.. then I tried to make it go to sleep by putting it in the cupboard at the side of the class room, but it wouldn't shut up, and for like the next 15 min or so it kept going 'ME HUNGRY!' or whatever they said. And the class and teacher were like, 'when is it going to go to sleep?!' but I didn't know how to turn it off. =P

I also remember when me and my friend where talking on the phone we each got our furbies and let them talk to eachother xD

I wonder whatever happened to my furbies.. must be buried in my room somewhere.
But there's still tomorrow
Forget the sorrow
And I can be on the last train home

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:45 pm
myfreindsavamp says...

I got all three that we had when we were younger. THey kept burning up so we finally desided to take the bateries out. They were going crazy as we did that too and thedy stunk even more. They were fun untill you couldn'tshut them up.
We've all been broken in some way. It's just how we express it that makes us dffrent form eachother.

“This precious book of love, this unbound lover,
To beautify him only lacks a cover.”
~William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:45 pm
tinny says...

I had one but the novelty fast wore off.

My sister got through a lot of the baby ones. The creepiest was one where the first time she went to feed it it went 'yum~' and then didn't stop at all. My Dad was out and it was scaring us so we hid it under the bed until he came back, and by then we were in tears because we could still hear it.

Haha, good times.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:50 pm
Angel of Death says...

Yeah Furbies were the must-haves back then but now they've become extent. I still have mine and its in mint condition. Maybe just maybe, one day they'll be worth millions, yeah right,
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:51 pm
Via says...

I still have mine! At the moment, however, I have no idea where it is haha.

Creepy, creepy things.

Mine was named "Dumo"
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:50 pm
Clo says...

The fun wore off very fast.

They were supposed to gradually "learn" our language too. That never happened. Blatant lie that consumers fell for. I'd never seen a furby learn more than the stupid phrases programmed into it.
How am I not myself?

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:57 pm
tinny says...

They were supposed to gradually "learn" our language too.

I heard about that too. Apparently one of my friends had one that said 'Hello Brian' whenever the phone rang O___O
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:58 pm
Sureal says...

I was always dissapointed mine never learnt the swear words I was trying to teach it.

clograbby is right: they don't actually learn your language, they just use more and more of the pre-programmed English the more you interact with them.
I wrote the above just for you.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:20 am
JFW1415 says...

PSHH. I loved those things! True, I got mine on Easter... it died... the same day? And then the Burger King ones weren't the same. But... *sigh* Furbies...

And how come no one else is freaked out from that furless furby up there....???

~JFW1415

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:42 am
Clo says...

whoawaitaminute-

( And two Ooglies. 'Member those? )

YES! Ooglies were a million times more horrifying than Furbies. My friend had one, and I remember spending the night and waking up to find it staring at me from the bedside. I actually jumped onto her and woke her up in my terror.
How am I not myself?

"Everything you can imagine is real."
— Pablo Picasso