z

Young Writers Society

Mobile Chicken on Train Tracks

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:12 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

Children playing mobile chicken
LONDON: Children are using mobile phone cameras to film themselves playing "chicken" on railway lines in front of high-speed trains, British police say.

Children as young as 10 stand on the tracks as the trains approach, and leap clear at the last moment.

Their friends record the stunt using the latest mobile-phone technology. The craze, inspired by a video clip on the internet, has already killed one teenage girl in the US.

The video clip inspiring "mobile-phone chicken", as it is known, is receiving thousands of hits from around the world.

The footage shows a youth racing on to a railway line as a train approaches at full speed. He crouches on the tracks, waving his arms and, as death appears inevitable, leaps clear at the very last second.

The death in the US, four months ago, occurred in California when Celadonia Castro, 14, was hit as she tried to push a 15-year-old boy clear of an approaching train. He was convicted of involuntary manslaughter.

Lee Mullis, 14, and his friend Stuart Adams, 15, were killed in England in March when a train ploughed into them. British Transport Police said the boys had apparently been train-dodging, although there was no suggestion the incident was being filmed.

Also in March, the father of another English boy reported his son to police after he found a video on his mobile phone of his son dodging a train.

The footage showed the boy, 14, sitting on the tracks as a train headed towards him at 120km/h. The boy and his friend -- who was filming him -- were given a caution.

In the past three months, British Transport Police have recorded 12 separate reports of children playing "chicken" on railway tracks in northeast England.

A near-miss was reported in North Tyneside when a train driver saw a youth dodging a train near a level crossing.

When police questioned children near the scene, they found they had the internet video stored on their phones, downloaded from the web.

In another incident, children as young as 10 were seen playing on a level crossing in Northumberland on April 4.

Vicki Smith, a spokeswoman for Network Rail, said: "Playing chicken is dangerous. The train always wins. If there's people videoing it as well, there's an added distraction."

Train drivers, who regularly have to deal with the traumatic effects of suicides on the line, say the "chicken" incidents are causing huge amounts of stress.

One, Tosh McDonald, said: "Even if no one is hurt, this kind of thing can cause enormous stress for a driver. When you're travelling at 120mph (193km/h) it is stressful to see a kid standing right in front of you."

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:10 pm
deleted6 says...

That is so horrible i used to it with buses they were going incredbily slow but anyway that is horrible
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:04 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

My dad's a train driver.

Would it be harsh for me to say those kids are idiots and deserve whatever fate befalls them on those tracks? Because that's what I feel like saying.
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

49 Reviews

Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:42 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

Matt Bellamy wrote:My dad's a train driver.

Would it be harsh for me to say those kids are idiots and deserve whatever fate befalls them on those tracks? Because that's what I feel like saying.

So's mine lol

I would agree - if you're going to be a ******* moron and do that then you deserved to get hurt. Screw the little twats who think they're funny and clever by playing around trains. But I wouldn't like them to get hit by the train - only because of the effect it has on the driver. I know my dad would feel responsible for the death of a kid if he hit them with a train - even though he knows you can't stop a great big tonne of metal/plastic going 60mph.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:48 pm
Elizabeth says...

My friend played chicken with a school bus on his bike and it didn't stop.... but he dodged it and spent the rest of the 7th grade in advisory sittingi in the farthest back seat chating Crack Kills over and over again if that hsa anything to do with it...

I think that there are so little ways to entertain ourselves that danger and violence is the last resort. take me, I try to hold my breath under the water and i make somebody push my head down so I can't get back.. but apparently they have mercy...

Anyway, i aggree with the people who say these kids get what they deserved. Trains are means, and they won't stop for anybody, i mean if I conducted one and I saw a kid I'd shove more coal into the thingy to make it go faster (back in the past) If anybody tried to stop it would be so loud and shrieky and it wouldn't stop in time anyway.

There are tracks in my backyward behind the fence... and a tran goes by, Sometimes I wakl back there and once when I was on the wooden bridge above the busy street a train was coming at me... so I just totally freaken walked to the side and covered my ears. I dont' play chicken though, that was unexpected....

Kids are stupid... Ok, no more rambling for me.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:50 pm
you_really_suck says...

i'm gonna go do that sounds fun *runs off*
Meat is Murder

Random avatar

Reviews: 40
Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:18 am
Kilty says...

That is so scary. I personally can't stand kids who do things just for the thrill of it. I feel horrible for the train drivers, and the passengers on the train. Imagine how horrific you would feel if you were on board a train while a kid was hit. Stupid kids.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:46 am
Snoink says...

Darwin Award winners in the making. *rolls eyes*
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:05 am
Bobo says...

No kidding. I almost got hit my a train once. I was walking home with a friend, and all of a sudden it was like 30 feet away from me. I felt really stupid for not noticing it earlier.

Anyway, this just shows that people all over the world are stupid. And bored, too. This reminds me of that slapping thing that also started in England. Hm...

49 Reviews

Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:34 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

Bobo wrote:No kidding. I almost got hit my a train once. I was walking home with a friend, and all of a sudden it was like 30 feet away from me. I felt really stupid for not noticing it earlier.

Anyway, this just shows that people all over the world are stupid. And bored, too. This reminds me of that slapping thing that also started in England. Hm...

It's also happening in the US, kids have been killed there.

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:48 pm
Emma says...

I lived by a railway track and someone was killed by it. I couldn't cross it for two weeks (the road went over the train track)

I still hate trains... Go onto rotten.com and look at the pictures of people being killed after jumping in front of a train. Its disgusting.

49 Reviews

Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:41 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

No thank you Emma I think I can do without looking at morbid pictures, I banned my cousin from my PC because he went on that and showed me a picture of a guy who shit himself with a shotgun. My aunt and I exchanged words about that :roll: I love trains though, although I agree - I hate crossings. I never stop on the rail on those even though they're not electric heh.

And if you think it's disgusting looking at those pictures - think about how it must be for the drivers.

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:45 pm
Sponson Light says...

You know, If I was a train driver, Id point and laugh to distract them. "Hey are you f**king blind?! Its a train you idiot!"
I wish you could glue them there.

Its stupid people who need to die.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:02 pm
Emma says...

xD

Lets kill all the stupid people who like jumping infromt of large things which can kill them!! Wait... They'll die anyway...

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:09 pm
Firestarter says...

What's more annoying is this guy who commited suicide by jumping of a train bridge and then being run ove rby a train. Or at least I assume it was suicide....

Either way it was really selfish cos the trains were all cancelled from Manchester Piccadilly for 2 hours and I got home really late from school.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

We're all stories in the end.
— 11th Doctor