z

Young Writers Society

The Happening

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:59 am
Clo says...

I just saw this movie today.

I thought it was just plain AWFUL! The concept was painful to me, and the one scene with the gun chain reaction... those who see it will know what I mean... that was just an awful, embarassing, hokey thing to watch.

I was just so bored and semi-amused with the whole thing. I laughed at the plot, frowned at my lovely Mark Wahlburg taking part in such a show, and groaned at every line that was just silly.

Awful, awful.

So... what did everyone else think?
How am I not myself?

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:30 am
andimlovegalore says...

M. Night Shyamalan right? I haven't seen it but I heard on Radio 4 that it's totally rubbish, like a parody of itself! Like, the dialogue was ridiculous and actually funny (unintentionally).

I don't think I'll bother =[ although I usually like his films. I liked The Village & the 6th Sense.

Reviews: 2
Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:33 pm
lady lazarus says...

I love M. Night Shyamalan. That's all I have to say :]]]
They call it night,
they call it night,
and I call it mine.

402 Reviews

Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:37 pm
Clo says...

The movie would have been much better off as a parody.
How am I not myself?

Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:45 pm
lady lazarus says...

Well what about Lady in the Water? Did you think that was just as horrible?
They call it night,
they call it night,
and I call it mine.

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:29 am
bc3553 says...

lady lazarus wrote:Well what about Lady in the Water? Did you think that was just as horrible?

not as horrible as the happening, but pretty bad. i wish he still made movies were like the sixth sense and signs and unbreakable. ill even take the village :(

402 Reviews

Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:27 am
Clo says...

I never saw Lady in the Water. I don't like his stuff. It's not that clever.

I saw the Happening because I think Mark Wahlburg could stop an army with a single hand, haha.
How am I not myself?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:52 am
Emerson says...

This was the worst movie I've seen in my whole life. Clo, your comment of, "It should have been a parody" couldn't have been more apt. The slow-mo scenes... I honestly thought it was a joke. My favorite part of the whole movie: there was a cute foreign guy on the train.

My second favorite part was that there were actually some funny lines in it. But, overall, no, no, no, no, no. Never see this movie. Unless you want to play MST3K. It would be good for that.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:45 am
lady lazarus says...

STILL, I liked it. And it's sort of unexplainable. I actually think I liked the idea more than I liked the movie. Nature getting back at humans for being such crapheads. Wonderful.

And honestly, I think the Village was his best movie. I hated Signs. And I've never seen the Sixth Sense so I wouldn't know if that compares.
They call it night,
they call it night,
and I call it mine.

402 Reviews

Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:50 am
Clo says...

I hated the Village because it was almost exactly like that Margaret Haddox book.... Running out of Time. Almost identical. It made me cringe.
How am I not myself?

Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:54 am
lady lazarus says...

Haha...I've never even heard of that. I wouldn't put it past him to copy it though.

But...........

I STILL LOVE M. NIGHT SHYAMALAN!!!

;]
They call it night,
they call it night,
and I call it mine.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:09 am
Jiggity says...

I agree, Suz, it was the second, if not the worse movie I have ever seen. The other being Freddy Got Fingered. They're both just ridiculously awful, but its more of a shame in this case, because Shyamalan used to be good. Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs and The Village are all very good films.

Then this crap. This god-awful rubbish - the horrible acting, the terrible writing and poor directing - every aspect of the film was a failure.

It hurts more for me cause I used to adore the man.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:29 am
Prokaryote says...

No. The Village was not good. It featured some of the worst dialogue I have ever heard in a movie (outside of a Star Wars film, of course). Just awful.

And yeah, you guys deserve what you got if you went and saw The Happening without reading the reviews or knowing that M. Night doesn't make good movies anymore. He's a lost cause; stop giving him money.

Prokaryote

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:45 am
mhmmcolleenx0 says...

Oh my god! Me and my cousins watched that together. We started laughing at some of the stuff because it was just confusing and unrealistic. I don't know what even possessed us to watch it. Oh, now I remember, we picked out of a hat, it was that or The Strangers.
"Can't stop, won't stop. I must be dreaming."

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:54 am
BigBadBear says...

... I happened to really like The Happening, The Village and every other movie made by him. Except for The Lady in the Water, which I really don't care for at all.

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

If you have a Kuzco in your life and they don't turn into a llama, bail.
— Alan SeaWright