z

Young Writers Society

White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan

Random avatar

Reviews: 92
Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:11 pm
lin night says...

Besides Nine Inch Nails' With Teeth, this is the only high-profile release this year that hasn't disappointed. Perhaps their best work yet.

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:43 pm
Muse says...

Hmm....is it just me or is the drummer really really bad..?
"Sometimes we see a cloud that's dragonish,
A vapour sometimes like a bear or lion,
A towered citadel, a pendant rock,
A forked mountain, or blue promontory,
With trees upon't that nod unto the world,And mock our eyes with air.."

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:19 pm
electricbluemonkey says...

ITS NOT JUST YOU! *Twitch*

But I guess the cd was pretty good. WITH TEETH was way better though. I mean, wa-a-ay better.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

Random avatar

Reviews: 92
Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:47 am
lin night says...

If you mean bad at singing, yes! But there is a certain charm to be found in her inability to carry a tune.

I don't know. Get Behind Me Satan shows the White Stripes evolving into something greater and more unique. Jack and Meg White are not content to pluck the same old chords and sing the same old songs. Better yet, they couldn't care less if you don't approve. "My Doorbell," "Little Ghost," "The Denial Twist," and "Instinct Blues" outdo anything they've done yet. Every track emits a reckless confidence that makes each drum beat and guitar stroke a joy to behold. The dynamic duo should be applauded for denying us an Elephant Part 2 and daring to challenge with a masterfully oblique album.

With Teeth is best described as "solid." There are no weak tracks. However, it lacks the freshness of The Downward Spiral and The Fragile. In fact, it would not be inaccurate to describe it as a progression of The Fragile's Right disc. The major standouts, "Only" and "Sunspots," don't bring anything particularly compelling to the table - they're meticulously constructed tracks designed to harken back to Pretty Hate Machine and 80s/early 90s pop music. New for Trent does not necessarily mean new for us. I'm as happy as anyone that his spirits are finally lifting, but I hope his next album exhibits more of the creative genius we all know is burrowed within him.

665 Reviews

Reviews: 665
Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:40 am
Chevy says...

Get Behind Me Satan. I'm still trying to figure out if that means what I think it means.

White Stripes is a divine band anyway.
when there's nowhere to go, it's time to grow up.

Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness.
— Bishop Desmond Tutu