z

Young Writers Society

The Other Boleyn Girl

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:25 pm
Lauren says...

I saw this a couple of months back, having had read the book. Wasn't expecting much - the reviews weren't promising and the book, whilst okay, wasn't great. Have any of you seen it and what did you think? Personally, I thought it was painful to watch, and found myself going, 'That didn't happen! That didn't happen!' to myself, whilst people behind me laughing at the pretty much desperate sex scenes.
Saying that, I thought Natalie Portman did a good job.

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:34 am
Night Mistress says...

i really didn't like the movie.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:31 pm
niccy_v says...

I saw the trailer on foxtell ages ago... like 2 months ago lol

I want to see it. Seemed good and im a sucker for any romances.
Writing gives my life purpose

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:07 pm
Night Mistress says...

niccy_v wrote:I saw the trailer on foxtell ages ago... like 2 months ago lol

I want to see it. Seemed good and im a sucker for any romances.

it's not the really good of a romance either. like the first half is romance, but then Anna get into the picture and everything is destroyed between henry and mary.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

Reviews: 2
Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:02 pm
Minerva Scriptor says...

I really love the story of Ann and Mary Boleyn, but I was never able to finish the book. Somehow it wasn't written in a very interesting way.
I saw the movie twice in the last week, and thought it was pretty good.

What I don't understand is why everyone complains about the story line. This is a history, and if not entirely accurate, is at least close to what actually happened. It is not meant to be a charming romance, but to show us the worse side of the English monarchy at that time. It shows how the girls were so often taken advantage of for the advancement of their families.
I never tell anybody exactly how clever I am.
They would be too scared. ~Artemis Fowl

Accept the Truth.
If you don’t like it, Change it.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:33 am
silverSUNLIGHTx says...

My parents are watching it right now downstairs. And tomorrow I will secretly steal it so I can watch it too. :]
haha.
--->Don't forget we've got unfinished business. Stories yet to unfold, tales that must be retold.
-Alex Gaskarth

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:07 am
Mars says...

I never knew the original history of the Boleyns.
So, however inaccurate, I thought it was a good movie. The actors were all good, and I'm a sucker for romance too :) Especially the scandalous kind.
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:15 pm
Lauren says...

What made me cringe was when they portrayed Elizabeth growing up with the Staffords at the end of the movie. Yeah, of course the future queen would have grown up with practical commoners.
Bleh. I agree that films don't need to be absolutely historically accurate, but it might help if they were fairly so. There are people who'll take everything they see in a movie to be factual.

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:33 pm
LowKey says...

and found myself going, 'That didn't happen! That didn't happen!' to myself,

I know. I was disappointed in that aspect of the film. Mary's daughter, Catherine, her first born, seems to have vanished into thin air with her automatically having the son as her first kid. And Anne and her brother.... that was horrible. All the other inaccuracies were for the drama, I believe, but that...

I think that tipped the scale from historical fiction to fictionalized history. The book was good, though. The movie was okay if you like drama and/or didn't read the book or know the true story of the Boleyns.

Messed up facts (and key events) aside, it was an okay movie. Not horrible, not bad, but not glorious. Take it as it is and it's good. Even so, though, I think those who don't know what really happened are going to enjoy the movie much more than those who do, because they won't be cringing and calling the movie on its falsehoods. :P It's not really all that bad, I don't think. If nothing else, they got points for using Queen Amidala
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:26 am
knFrance says...

I've read a lot about Anne Boleyn because I find her to be a fascinating, strong, and empowering woman :D
Anyways, so I know quite a lot about her and her family's history and yes I did pick up on a lot of things that were not historically correct in the movie, but I still really enjoyed it. I love Natalie Portman, I think she is a stunning actress.

shady and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws
— Tuckster