z

Young Writers Society

Genetically Modified Mosquitos

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:03 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Genetically modified mosquitos may stop the spread of malaria:

Genetically-modified mosquitoes that are resistant to a malaria parasite may one day stop the spread of the disease, a new US study says.

In research published online in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, scientists describe how the genetically-modified, or GM, mosquitoes outbred natural mosquitoes when fed mouse blood infected with a malaria parasite.

The research may offer a way of controlling malaria by introducing the genetically altered insects into the wild and having them take over from their natural cousins.

The scientists at Johns Hopkins University combined equal numbers of genetically modified and natural mosquitoes in the laboratory and let them feed on malaria-infected mice.

The genetically-altered insects survived in greater numbers and laid more eggs.

After nine generations, 70% of the mosquitoes were GM ones compared with 50% at the outset of the experiment, Professor Marcelo Jacobs-Lorena and his colleagues write.

The study suggests that when feeding on malaria-infected blood, "transgenic malaria-resistant mosquitoes have a selective advantage over non-transgenic mosquitoes", the authors write.

Complete article here

Thoughts?

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:36 pm
Sureal says...

Awesome. 8)
I wrote the above just for you.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:43 am
Nate says...

First step: Genetically Modified Mosquitos

Second Step: ZomBiEs!!!!

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:49 am
Medusa says...

I actually had Malaria recently, so this is quite nice.
Alice: If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:56 pm
Sureal says...

Nate wrote:First step: Genetically Modified Mosquitos

Second Step: ZomBiEs!!!!

Let's make it happen.
I wrote the above just for you.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:51 pm
Twit says...

Woah, move over Jurassic Park.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:24 pm
Manny says...

Breeding more when their DNA is tinkered with? That doesn't seem like much of a drawback. I was expecting them to at least need to be the size of a horse.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:59 am
thunder_dude7 says...

Not a drawback at all. I think that the way they tinckered with the DNA caused them to use the virus to improve breeding rates instead of simply spreading it around.

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but it's pretty awesome. This combined with organizations like Nothing but Nets might end up wiping out malaria for good!

If only there was a way to do this with AIDs...

If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
— Woodrow Wilson