z

Young Writers Society

Teen 'pregnancy pact' has 17 girls expecting

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:20 am
LilSarahBreezy says...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25272678/?GT1=43001

Ok, this is just terrible. Apparently, in a city in Massachusetts, several girls under the age of 18 made a pact with each other to get pregnant within the year so they could raise their babies together.

I believe it, but I wish I didn't have to. Not only are all those teens (some of which aren't even older than me!!!) pregnant, but many of the fathers are in their MID-TWENTIES!!! Even though it was consensual, those men can (and probably will) be charged with statutory rape! Also, for the fathers who ARE under-age, they will now be put with a LOT of responsibility, and their reputations will probably be ruined (if they aren't already) if they don't help raise the babies.

Speaking as a teen, I wish that we had better sense these days. This is one of the dumbest situations you can get yourself into.
Be My Love And Race The Dream Together ♥♥♥

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:30 am
Sureal says...

People can be such idiots. I'm willing to bet that a large portion of them are going to be shocked that having a child isn't quite as happy-happy and romantic as they imagined.
I wrote the above just for you.

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:00 am
myfreindsavamp says...

Hm... reminds me of a as I knew once pregnant freind of my older brother's. When her boy friend found out he was going to push her down a set of stairs just to kill the baby. And this guy is a butt.
We've all been broken in some way. It's just how we express it that makes us dffrent form eachother.

“This precious book of love, this unbound lover,
To beautify him only lacks a cover.”
~William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:16 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

WOW. What is wrong with this country that girls don't understand that teen pregnancy is NOT cool? Yes, children are a blessing, but raising a child when you are still in high school...that's irresponsible for both the child and the parent. Gaahh. Stupidity.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:41 am
Manny says...

lyrical_sunshine wrote:WOW. What is wrong with this country that girls don't understand that teen pregnancy is NOT cool? Yes, children are a blessing, but raising a child when you are still in high school...that's irresponsible for both the child and the parent. Gaahh. Stupidity.

So is there a magical age when it becomes alright to have babies?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:41 am
Snoink says...

Please, don't make this a debate.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:18 am
chocoholic says...

I can't believe this! It's sick. A pregnancy pact?

Don't these girls understand what it will be like to raise a child at such a young age?
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:11 pm
khfan890 says...

Well, in a world where sluts like Brittany Spears, Lindsay Lohan, and Paris Hilton are idolized, what do you expect? The sad thing is the poor babies now being brought into the world. I don't feel the least bit sorry for the teens.
Death is no respecter of persons. Just felt like saying that.

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:38 pm
Cade says...

khfan, it wasn't that they were being sluts, it was that they actually wanted to get pregnant. There's a big difference between becoming pregnant unexpectedly and sleeping with someone with the intent of having sperm successfully fertilize egg.

What annoys me is the media bringing up, again, Juno and Jamie Lynn, and playing the ever popular "Our girls are being corrupted by our sex-crazed society!" card. I hardly think this is the issue.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:46 pm
OverEasy says...

I know more than one person my age or younger that's pregnant, some of them were accidents, others were trying to get pregnant. Sometimes people feel they are ready for children at a much earlier age than others, I know I couldn't be a good parent right now, but a few of my friends are great mothers.

If these girls felt ready then that's their choice, no one should look down on them for it.

As for the statutory rape thing, the guys knew that it was a risk when they had sex with girls that were under age. It doesn't just work one way, they are adults, they need to think of their actions just as much as the girls do.
Life is for living.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:02 pm
Twit says...

Ew.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:11 pm
View Likes
Dream Deep says...

I have to agree with OverEasy. It may seem to us, personally, a selfish and misinformed decision. We might say, I would never do that. We might say, The children will be poorly raised. They might be. They might not be. I know plenty of women in their thirties and forties who are truly terrible mothers; age doesn't necessarily mean you corner the market on parental excellence. I do know that we have no right to judge these girls unless we've walked a mile in their shoes.

Or, to draw upon the words of the inimitable Sting: "Don't judge me. You could be me, in another life, in another set of circumstances."

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:42 pm
khfan890 says...

What annoys me is the media bringing up, again, Juno and Jamie Lynn, and playing the ever popular "Our girls are being corrupted by our sex-crazed society!" card. I hardly think this is the issue.

Well if it isn't about sex, then how did the babies get here? And it's just a bunch of girls wanting attention.
Death is no respecter of persons. Just felt like saying that.

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:45 pm
Dream Deep says...

khfan890 wrote:Well if it isn't about sex, then how did the babies get here?

... I would dare to imagine it's about the babies, Khfan. #.#

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:54 pm
Sureal says...

Yeah, sex seemed to be nothing more than a means to an end. They found sex were they could (including a homesless man) for the sole purpose of getting pregnant, not for the sex itself.
I wrote the above just for you.

I do all of the training for Walgreen’s cashiers.
— The Devil