z

Young Writers Society

Music

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:16 pm
robyns37 says...

I've got a three way tie right now, and it changes frequently:

My Chemical Romance-The Black Parade/Dead!

Rise Against-The Sufferer and the Witness/But Tonight We Dance

Flobots-Fight With Tools/Stand Up

I love MCR because they really capture emotion behind their stuff and the musical part is awesome.

I love Rise Against though because their lyrics are so poetic. One of their songs (The Approaching Curve) is purl this prose piece with a repeating three lines for a chorus.

And Flobots are really unique. I've never heard a rap group with a viola and a trumpet with their main instruments. And usually, I hate rap, so this is really something. Plus, the lyrics are so great, the first 1:30 of 'Stand Up' inspired me to write my story 'The Disaster' on this site and my poem 'The Mountain and the Pebble' was from another song on that album.

Well you've got my vote, you're turn.
May all of your endeavors be sucessful;
but if they aren't, write about them.
And if they are, write about them.
Just Write.

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:17 pm
Raimunda says...

ROGUE WAVE- EYES. I love this SO MUCH.

VAMPIRE WEEKEND- A-PUNK. It's kinda retro.

They're my top 2. CHEK 'EM.
I just hit my computer
Because it was being slow
I need my daily Smallville fix
And it will not load the video.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:16 pm
Krupp says...

I don't have really favorite bands except a few who've lasted with me for years. I go into phases where I listen to certain bands and stuff.

Right now, I'm in an old-school, classic rock, psychadelic phase. I'm listening to Three Dog Night, Led Zepplin, Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Jethro Tul, and Ted Nugent.

Also I'm listening to Sonic Youth, and the oldschool punk band T.S.O.L.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:24 pm
Periwinkle says...

My favorite singer of all time is Regina Spektor. She's just amazing - all of her songs sound so different and they're so poetic and beautiful and her piano playing is brilliant. Her new album "Begin To Hope" with Fidelity, Better, and On The Radio is nice, but her beginning albums "Songs", "Soviet Kitsch", and "11:11" are my favorites.
Maybe you should kiss someone nice or lick a rock, or both - Regina Spektor

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:45 pm
sezPez says...

For favorite song, I have to name at least 5: Shampoo Suicide, Gang Bang Suicide, Untitled by Neutral Milk Hotel, Rebellion (Lies), Paper Planes. These change constantly though, probably week to week =|

Right now my favorite band is Broken Social Scene, and my favorite album is You Forgot It In People by them. They're this indie supergroup with like 19 members, and they sound kind of like Arcade Fire but less epic - sort of a little like the Beatles as well, but instead of British it's Canadian.

Favorite singer would be Regine Chassagne. She only sings a few Arcade Fire songs but her voice is so sweet and cute, it's awesome.

Favorite songwriter would be John Lennon and Jeff Magnum. John is plain awesome, but Jeff is right up there with him, and I would say he's more poetic.

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:39 pm
Dreami says...

I'm a punk rock fan with very specific wants - good lyrics, no screamo, and a catchy tune. So that makes my favorite band Fall Out Boy. Although, it's frustrating to see people who only like the singles by them. My favorite songs are not the singles. At the moment, probably "Of All the Gin Joints In All The World."

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:12 pm
robyns37 says...

Dreami wrote:My favorite songs are not the singles. At the moment, probably "Of All the Gin Joints In All The World."

Totally agree, I like to hear what the singles aren't are. Sometimes the singles are the only good songs on the album, so before making a judgement, I like to listen to the whole album. Oh, and by the way, I love "Of All the Gin Joints In All The World"!
May all of your endeavors be sucessful;
but if they aren't, write about them.
And if they are, write about them.
Just Write.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:27 pm
patience_isnt says...

I love My Chemical Romance. All the albums.
I like Fall Out Boy. Just Infinity On High.
Rise Against is okay. Just the latest album.
AFI is good too. Most of their songs are good.

I don't have a favourite song at the moment, but I will probably by tomorrow. xD

As you can see, I like emo, punk rock, bands. I don't mind screamo or ska, but I would much rather listen to something you don't have to Google the lyrics for.

Reviews: 0
Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:22 pm
Elucubrater says...

I'm a massive Rufus Wainwright fan, but I think The Beatles are definitely on par with him.
All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages.

William Shakespeare

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:01 am
Clo says...

I agree with the already mentioned Vampire Weekend and Rufus Wainwright. Two VERY great bands!

My favorite album is Neutral Milk Hotel's "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea". It's disturbing 90s alternative at its best. :)

Random avatar

Reviews: 21
Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:37 pm
Antares says...

clograbby wrote:I agree with the already mentioned Vampire Weekend and Rufus Wainwright. Two VERY great bands!

Isn't Rufus Wainwright a solo singer?

I love every band that isn't McFly. Okay, I dislike a lot more bands than that but McFly are truly awful. I like every song that doesn't repeat the word 'umbrella' over, and over, and over again. Again, not true. But that song is possibly the worst I've ever heard.

Don't make me choose my favourites please. I'll be here all night.

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:06 pm
Gahks says...

Current favourite songs:

"Ride Like the Wind" by Christopher Cross. The beat's real cool and hummable.

"Hard Habit to Break" by Chicago. Great for chilling.
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:12 pm
Clo says...

Rufus Wainwright is a solo singer... that was me just not paying attention while I write. Haha. :P
How am I not myself?

Reviews: 4
Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:46 pm
Pingu says...

"Black Shores"-Krohm (Black Metal)

"Katharinas Bortgang"- Gorgoroth (Black Metal)

"Ocean Planet"- Gojira (Metal)

"Etna"- Sun o))) (Ambient)

"An Orgy of Flying limbs"- General Surgery (Death metal)

and last but not least...

"Rehab"-Amy Winehouse.lol

203 Reviews

Reviews: 203
Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:21 am
October Girl says...

Boys like girls -Thunder

MCR-Helena

Aiden-Moment

but that's just me =)
We're meant to be one
I know we are...
If I am the Sky
Then you are my star... ™

It takes as much imagination to create debt as to create income.
— Leandro Orr