z

Young Writers Society

*tack tack tack* goes the mechanical heart.

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:08 am
Doctor Kitty says...

Go down to the double line if you want to skip the story-telling.

I opened the door, ready to leave. I had to return my friend's bass guitar; he had been laid off so I wouldn't be playing it in his youth group anymore. To my surprise, my exit was blocked. A weary-looking cardboard box sat on my doorstep. It seemed a little confused, as if it were thinking, "Is this where I am supposed to be?" Timid.

I brought it inside. I figured it was something for my dad. But no! Right on the box! "Mr. Braden H." I tried to rip the tape off, but my mom quickly stifled my enthusiasm, telling me that we had to leave. I had to endure a chicken salad and an allergic reaction before I would be home again two hours later.

The box was still waiting for me there. I opened it up gently, and was greeted by a yellow case. I tried to lift it out of the box, but it was heavy. Heavy. I could tell it was old. The solid wooden handle, the tweed pattern, and the old metal lock gave away its age. I pressed on the release tabs and opened this strange case. Inside, there sat an old typewriter. A Smith-Corona Sterling. 1935-1950. Flawless--absolutely flawless.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So! Enough of that! Now to the non-selfish part of the post! Typewriters! So I just received one from my grandparents. Has anyone here done writing work with a typewriter? Do you feel it adds some sort of mysterious nostalgia to your work, or does it just make you hear ticky-tacky noises in your sleep?

I hear the lovely ding! noise already.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:30 am
JFW1415 says...

*Cries*

But...but...but there's no spell-check!

~JFW1415

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:39 am
Doctor Kitty says...

That's the point! You can't go back and edit! You must finish what you are writing and check it later!

Obliterator of writer's block! Mwaha!

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:26 pm
yoha_ahoy says...

*drools* A nice typewriter is included in my writer's room fantasy. :(
@(^_^)@
Got YWS?

The most difficult thing in the world is to know how to do a thing and to watch somebody else doing it wrong, without comment.
— T. H. White